• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Day Our Mom Ended Up In Court

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..hope this little story may give you all a giggle...im still in stitches here...for some time now i have often wondered why i was christened at holy trinity church birchfield road when i was born in paddington st a stones throw away from st georges church..anyhow i visited our dad today and asked him if he could remember why....he told me because we lived at no 2 grosvenor avenue at the time moving there when i was only a few weeks old (something i didnt know)...i then asked him how come my brother was born in paddington st as well then 3 years later and this is the funny bit (well i think so)...mom and dad shared the house with another women..mom and dad had the front and the women had the back but they had to share a kitchen..anyhow this women had no thought for keeping the noise down and constantly woke me up banging and clattering around the house..one day mom had had enough of it so had yet another word with this woman in the kitchen...all hell broke loose..pots and pans flying everywhere then our mom whacked this woman with a frying pan..they both had to go to court for it and mom got 6 months bound over and dad nearly got sent down for contempt for standing up and calling this woman a liar..dont know what happened with the other woman....this is so typical of our mom..very placid till took to the limit....so after this little episode they had to move back in with our nan and this is how my brother was also born in paddington st....mystery solved....the great thing is no 2 grosvenor avenue is still there and this is the only house i lived in as a child that is still around...hoping to get a google pic of it...
im still laffin about it ...its like something from a comedy film even though i know its not right for 2 grown women to come to blows......
dog-1.gif

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn i can't believe you lived in Grosvenor Avenue but do not support The VILLA.It stands almost on the same spot as the VILLAS first ground.

Lyn i can't believe you lived in Grosvenor Avenue but do not support The VILLA.It stands almost on the same spot as the VILLAS first ground.

yes moss i know it does but i only found out the other day that i lived in the avenue...mind you it was only until i was about 2 years old at which point i was throwing my rattles out the pram not whizzing them round at football matches lol...our dads a life long villa fan though..no memory at all of living there but i think i would like to have a look at the place and take a pic for our dad..i do have a good google image though...
lyn

Lyns too sensible to do a thing like that Mossg lol!!
Lyn just goes to show what happens when women get wound up doesn't it? Can just picture the scene with the frying pan,bet the look on your dads face was a picture too, great family story though.
Sue

Frying pan eh? Oooooo that must have hurt? And I bet Baby Lyn slept through the whole episode! Very funny Lyn. Viv.

oh i do wish our mom was here so that we could laugh about this together but now i fully understand why she always instilled into me that 2 women in one kitchen just does not go....lol...

The newspaper sites only go up to 1900, and the library will be closed for god knows how long, but I'd love to read the newspaper reports - I'm sure it would have been written up !

The newspaper sites only go up to 1900, and the library will be closed for god knows how long, but I'd love to read the newspaper reports - I'm sure it would have been written up !

oh mike a snippit about our mom...i shall make efforts when the new library opens to find one..i can just imagine the pair of them saying she started it no she started it then our dad chipping in lol..well thats another bit of family history for me to write up...thanks again mike for the google pic of the house in grosvenor avenue..

lyn

Well Lyn, you could wait until Mike includes it in his thread "Birmingham Post 150 years ago". Only have to wait about 100 years. Might be quicker than waiting for B'ham Library to open!!! Viv.

lol viv thats true enough..think the library are slowly packing material up now so its not really worth me making a trip to go through the newpaper reports as they may not be available....will add it to my list of things to do...

lyn

dog-1.gif

david...i still cant believe our mom got herself into strife because of me.....

Brilliant Lyn can just picture the scene:smug:

That reminds me of when my sister went off to her then boyfriends birthday party, held at his parents house while they were away. He was two-timing her and his other girlfriend turned up as well. Everything was fine until reality dawned on the two girls that they both had the same boyfriend and then all hell broke loose, they started chucking his Mom's ornaments at one another & smashing them off the walls before my sister stormed off. Thankfully it didn't end up in court but he had some explaining to do when his parents got back!!

lol-1.gif

simon you couldnt make these things up could you....

lyn

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 5
Another choice of weapon Lyn might have been the enamel variety. Not as powerful as cast iron, but would still have packed a punch!
Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353713819.879209.jpg

Back