• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Danilo Cinema, Quinton/Warley

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Between June and August 1940 the local Home Guard unit built a substantial, fortified HQ building on the car park at the Danilo. To help fund this project and to celebrate its inauguration a special film show was put on. The local Home Guards provided a Guard of Honour. A couple of images show this event. (More can be seen here).

This structure is said to have survived for a long period after the war. Does anyone have memories of it - and, better, still any image from the 1940s, 1950s or even later, which shows it?

Chris

Attachments

• Danilo-Advertw750.jpg
    Danilo-Advertw750.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 17
  • Group2w1000.jpg
    Group2w1000.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 16
I was born at Quinton and have many happy memories of the Danilo (no TV) which I went to often as a child. I saw Gone with the Wind the first time there and once we were coming back from our holiday on the No. 9 bus and it went past I saw they were showing Calamity Jane - i made a bit of a fuss anout missing it so was allowed to go leaving the family to carry cases and bags home (selfish I think now). I don't have a photo. Oppisite the Danilo was an open space and a black and white cafe , perhaps lorries could park there? This cafe had a juke box and when I was about 14 my friend and I used to go and jig about in this cafe no-one else there - that juke box was where I first heard Elvis Presley and B ill Haley.
The No 9 bus terminus was just round the corner from the Danilo (as far as it went then) and there was a home for old men (don't know the name of the home)and a bomb dropped into the grounds and all the old men were taken to the Danilo while the bomb was defused - so my parents told me.
Sheri

Back