• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The daddy long legs club

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys and gals
do any of you remember the daddy long legs club
which used to be right on the corner of camp hill and bordesly
rail way station it was a rough diamond of a place
i think it lasted for about 12 months ,then closed down for a while
then reopenend in a different name ;
there was always trouble there then it got banged up
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Good morning, Astonian,
Was it later to become the Dolls' Club, which stood alongside the Sheldon Window and Industrial Cleaners Co Ltd (or something like that!)? David

Hi dibbs and humprey;
yes i do beleive you are correct it was right on the bend and along the fly over
and the more i think about it ,it did become the lesdols club which later became more succesful than daddys club
as you can remember it was two comletely different theme clubs ;
after that i beleive they moved around to bradford st openend a place called the gallion or the ship
a bigger and better respectful club ; wher you can wine and dine ; if i am correct ;
have a very nice day guys ; best wishes and thanks for replying ; astonian ;;;

Hi froth
i will say one thing there was always beatiful legs running around in there especialy th week ends and also there was plenty of legs being thrown out down the stairs and legless ones at that the best thing they ever done was to close it down ; by the way froth ; on my last thread i thought a club openend up in bradford street and i called it the ship or the galleon ; was it not called the casterways ;rather than what i have just put ;
nice to hear from you froth ; best wishes astonian;;

Hi froth
i will say one thing there was always beatiful legs running around in there especialy th week ends and also there was plenty of legs being thrown out down the stairs and legless ones at that the best thing they ever done was to close it down ; by the way froth ; on my last thread i thought a club openend up in bradford street and i called it the ship or the galleon ; was it not called the casterways ;rather than what i have just put ;
nice to hear from you froth ; best wishes astonian;;

Always nice to see your post mate.
I've heard of the Castaways, never sure where it was though.

hi froth
yes the more i think about it ; it was one or the othere firstly the ship ; or the galleon ; and finaly it became the castaways and it had enormous casting net hahging down abovethe facier of the club and they had big names appearing there
this was some years after the dolls club ; and it was arond on bradford street just up from he digbeth dhss offices
around around the back of the midland red coach station , it was an old factory ware houseing i think at one time it was a glass company ;
speak soon astonian ;;

No wonder the Dolls Club was more popular it was a strip club i believe or though i never went there. I think Casterways was a theme pub built on stilts next to Moor St Station the only place i remember having a Galleon on the front was the pub on the corner of Park St i think it was called the Royal George. Dek---sorry the pub on stilts was the Outrigger

I'm sure I went to the Castaways a few times. Bradford street sounds about right (my memory of B'ham's geography is a little hazy).

It had a gaming room - the first time I'd ever seen a roulette wheel! Don't think I won any money though. :boohoo:

Come to think of, my ex had his stag night there. I didn't back a winner there either, but that's another story......

I remember the Dolls Club on the corner of High St Bordesley and Coventry Rd. If I remember rightly the chap that owned/managed it lived in Valentine Rd, Kings Heath. Though I never used the place myself, I did date one of the girls for a while back in 1967.

The Castaways was in Bradford St across the road from my mates hairdressing shop. When it first opened it was quite posh, but later it went a bit seedy. I think that was after somebody absconded with a lot of money and left the club in financial trouble.

These photos were posted on another forum by a member a Basil Henriques who was a member of the Waikiki Islanders the resident band.

Phil

DigbethWaikikiIslandersattheCastaways1966.jpg
castawaysband1.jpg

DigbethCastawaysBradfordSt.jpg

hi phil
Many thanks for your in put on the scene and yes it was a glorifyed den
thats why i put to frothys remark about seeing or mentioning the daddy legs l
and how i had seen the legs in more ways than one flying out the windows and stairs
and yes he did live in valentine rd and the other club was in bradford street ;
i have been involved with clubs and pubs all virtualy my life . and not just drinking n them either
thanmks again phil ; best wishes astonian ;;

Hi,

Went into Daddy Long legs a few times in the 70's with some car dealer friends of mine, always on a Friday night after we had all had far too much to drink !. It was a bit of a rough place, but never knew it was owned by a boxer.

John

I am prety sure that Pryke owned the Moat House and his son opened the Midnight City the latter being short lived , must have been big money in bannanas Bernie

Yes those were the days .The daddy long legs ,the golden gloves and next door the speak easy what hovels, but the craic was good:)

HI WILLC
Yes those were the days will you are bang on ;and yes they was hovels
and you had to be a certain breed to chance your arm in there ;
the rough and ready and of course the old bill ; mind you they did not require there services
in those days but the old bill was always hanging around on the corners if you was un steady o your feet
to run you down the lane ;or take you digbeth to horris the copper the big lad ;or may be down to coventry
road nick ; yes those were the days when you could call a copper ;
best wishes astonian ;;

My friend was on the door at The Golden Gloves in the late 70s. When the juke box stopped at the speak-easy the stripper would pull an empty beer crate from behind the curtain and sit on it until someone started the music again.

If I remember right, there was an upstairs room in the Daddy where the girls were only friendly with each other-if you get my drift.

Was a good craic in there though. It had another name before that (around 1976) but I cant remember what it was.

I used The Dolls Club, as my mate Jimmy Daly was on the door, and on weekends Jimmy got the Stripper Monique to do sunday Lunch times at The Monica in Small Heath.
walt00

. When the juke box stopped at the speak-easy the stripper would pull an empty beer crate from behind the curtain and sit on it until someone started the music again.

I don't think they were strippers..... they started off with nowt on!

If I'm thinking of the same place (The Speakeasy), a bunch of us apprentices used to go there after work at 2pm.
I seem to remember a huge West Indian guy on the door wearing a leopard skin!. He used to say "You ain't gonna cause trouble, are you lads?", and we'd all shake our heads meekly and file in.

The Daddy Long Legs came after the Dolls club. It opened in 1971 and was owned by a Mr McDonald. The Dolls club (entrance through the turnstile!) was demolished and Daddy Long Legs was a new building on the old site.
Myself (Laurie Hornsby) and my musical partner John Caswell played there as the attraction for the first weekend and we came close to being arrested for talking to ourselves

hi guys and gals
do any of you remember the daddy long legs club
which used to be right on the corner of camp hill and bordesly
rail way station it was a rough diamond of a place
i think it lasted for about 12 months ,then closed down for a while
then reopenend in a different name ;
there was always trouble there then it got banged up
best wishes Astonian ;;;
I remember the daddy long legs club that later became dolls. Had many good times in there, but was never any trouble when I was there. I used to just sit in a dark corner most of the night when I first went.

That sounds about right, had a few stag nights in there
I used to work for ICC when I worked at Carrefour at minworth, & castle bromwich car plant. The daddy long legs club was the first club I had ever been to, so sat in a dark corner with my drink for most of the night. Had many happy times there.

Hi

I can honestly that I never went in the Doll's Club, but my lad did.
He used to enthuse about one of the girls in there who went by the
name of Audrey Big - apparently she was!

Kind regards
Dave

If I remember right, there was an upstairs room in the Daddy where the girls were only friendly with each other-if you get my drift.

Was a good craic in there though. It had another name before that (around 1976) but I cant remember what it was.
hooooooooooo

Back