• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The daddy long legs club

My friend was on the door at The Golden Gloves in the late 70s. When the juke box stopped at the speak-easy the stripper would pull an empty beer crate from behind the curtain and sit on it until someone started the music again.

If I remember right, there was an upstairs room in the Daddy where the girls were only friendly with each other-if you get my drift.

Was a good craic in there though. It had another name before that (around 1976) but I cant remember what it was.

I used The Dolls Club, as my mate Jimmy Daly was on the door, and on weekends Jimmy got the Stripper Monique to do sunday Lunch times at The Monica in Small Heath.
walt00

. When the juke box stopped at the speak-easy the stripper would pull an empty beer crate from behind the curtain and sit on it until someone started the music again.

I don't think they were strippers..... they started off with nowt on!

If I'm thinking of the same place (The Speakeasy), a bunch of us apprentices used to go there after work at 2pm.
I seem to remember a huge West Indian guy on the door wearing a leopard skin!. He used to say "You ain't gonna cause trouble, are you lads?", and we'd all shake our heads meekly and file in.

The Daddy Long Legs came after the Dolls club. It opened in 1971 and was owned by a Mr McDonald. The Dolls club (entrance through the turnstile!) was demolished and Daddy Long Legs was a new building on the old site.
Myself (Laurie Hornsby) and my musical partner John Caswell played there as the attraction for the first weekend and we came close to being arrested for talking to ourselves

hi guys and gals
do any of you remember the daddy long legs club
which used to be right on the corner of camp hill and bordesly
rail way station it was a rough diamond of a place
i think it lasted for about 12 months ,then closed down for a while
then reopenend in a different name ;
there was always trouble there then it got banged up
best wishes Astonian ;;;
I remember the daddy long legs club that later became dolls. Had many good times in there, but was never any trouble when I was there. I used to just sit in a dark corner most of the night when I first went.

That sounds about right, had a few stag nights in there
I used to work for ICC when I worked at Carrefour at minworth, & castle bromwich car plant. The daddy long legs club was the first club I had ever been to, so sat in a dark corner with my drink for most of the night. Had many happy times there.

Hi

I can honestly that I never went in the Doll's Club, but my lad did.
He used to enthuse about one of the girls in there who went by the
name of Audrey Big - apparently she was!

Kind regards
Dave

If I remember right, there was an upstairs room in the Daddy where the girls were only friendly with each other-if you get my drift.

Was a good craic in there though. It had another name before that (around 1976) but I cant remember what it was.
hooooooooooo

Hi

I can honestly that I never went in the Doll's Club, but my lad did.
He used to enthuse about one of the girls in there who went by the
name of Audrey Big - apparently she was!

Kind regards
Dave
Never went to dolls,I had heard about what it was & was scared to go in. I bet your lad had a great time.

hi guys and gals
do any of you remember the daddy long legs club
which used to be right on the corner of camp hill and bordesly
rail way station it was a rough diamond of a place
i think it lasted for about 12 months ,then closed down for a while
then reopenend in a different name ;
there was always trouble there then it got banged up
best wishes Astonian ;;;
These are the facts about club at High St Deritend (Digbeth) and Coventry Road
It started of as The Dolls club....a strip club that had football style turn styles to get in....
after that it became The Delcomica club.... Irish owned
Then it became Daddy Long Legs.... owned by Jim Smythe.... a car dealer........
lost it licence.... he took roof to avoid paying rates at the time....but no good...never got licence back from Birmingham, so demolished building and run by him as car pitch for short time...next door to Sheldon Industrial Cleaners
Jim Smythe and wife Agnes then got licence open club in Worcester than they run for few years
The Casterways was club in Bradford St on top floor....other floors in building were used by ATV to record episodes of soap Cross Roads...... many big names of day appeared there... then that became a strip club....,many years before Legs Eleven appeared .... Tom black cab taxi driver

It started of as The Dolls club....a strip club that had football style turn styles to get in....
lost it licence.... he took roof to avoid paying rates at the time....but no good...never got licence back from Birmingham, so demolished building and run by him as car pitch for short time...next door to Sheldon Industrial Cleaners
Jim Smythe and wife Agnes then got licence open club in Worcester than they run for few years
The Casterways was club in Bradford St on top floor....other floors in building were used by ATV to record episodes of soap Cross Roads...... many big names of day appeared there... then that became a strip club....,many years before Legs Eleven appeared .... Tom black cab taxi driver
Welcome to the forum Tom. I remember the Daddy Long Legs club. I used to go in there every Friday & Saturday. From what I remember, it was a very dark & dank little place. I used to get my drink & sit in one of the very dark corners (which there were many). Luckily, I was only 17 when it was the Dolls club & would not have got in. Daddy long legs was the only club I could get into at the time, even as I had turned 18, as I did not look old enough until I was in my mid 20's.

On my one and only visit to the Dolls Club I was only 16, still at school and very naive. Some of the guys in there I was convinced were gangsters and they scared the ........ out of me.
Strangely enough at a later date I was at a friend's house when his sister came in with some of her pals and one of them was introduced as Monique who worked as a "dancer" at the Dolls Club.

Jimmy Smyth was a friend of mine late sixties. At the time he was a car dealer and drove a red etype, I liked his car so much I bought a white one. I got to know him through an ex workmate who owned a used car site in Erdington, Jimmy was a great clubber and we often went to the cedar club and the Belfry.

Old Clubs..(.drinking dens) I used in 1970;s Birmingham

1 Daddy Long Legs Digbeth
2 Jig-Saw .. Alum Rock Road
3 Golden Gloves ... Moseley Road
4 Speak Easy .. Stratford Place (Moseley Road) Camp Hill
5 Garry Owen Small Heath
6 Talk of the Town Stratford Road Sparkhill
7 Cascade Club Showell Green Lane Sparkhill
8 International Club.... ???? who remembers this one.....owned by Bunny Johnston.... Boxer Small Heath
9 Cabaret Club.......who remembers this one Malcolm Locker House.... Moseley Road
10 Mocambo Club ..... Stratford Road Sparkbrook .near Vale-Onslow motor bike shop... and Garretts second hand shop underneath a cafe weekends only

That's only 10 that I can remember at mo...lol

Old Clubs..(.drinking dens) I used in 1970;s Birmingham

1 Daddy Long Legs Digbeth
2 Jig-Saw .. Alum Rock Road
3 Golden Gloves ... Moseley Road
4 Speak Easy .. Stratford Place (Moseley Road) Camp Hill
5 Garry Owen Small Heath
6 Talk of the Town Stratford Road Sparkhill
7 Cascade Club Showell Green Lane Sparkhill
8 International Club.... ???? who remembers this one.....owned by Bunny Johnston.... Boxer Small Heath
9 Cabaret Club.......who remembers this one Malcolm Locker House.... Moseley Road
10 Mocambo Club ..... Stratford Road Sparkbrook .near Vale-Onslow motor bike shop... and Garretts second hand shop underneath a cafe weekends only

That's only 10 that I can remember at mo...lol
Never used them but remember the Oxford club Moseley and The Boundary club Acocks Green.

Back