• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cuckoo Tavern

Julian Parker

proper brummie kid
Hi , nice to meet you all .
I'm afraid my Birmingham local history knowledge and geography in pretty low, so I'm in need of help please.....
I'm researching a picture that has appeared on the Black Country history Facebook page It is of a public house called the Cuckoo Tavern. The location given is Hill Top West Bromwich/ Wednesbury. Research reveals this to be in correct ,as the only reference in Kelly's directory for a licensee of the same name ( Alfred Moses Dabbs) is The Cuckoo Tavern , 62 Cuckoo Rd,Nechells, Birmingham circa 1915 .I believe a previous incumbent was one Mrs Elizabeth Lloyd circa 1900. I have been able to view similar pictures of The Cuckoo from people who have ancestors in the picture, and verify a Birmingham location .
There is some school of thought that says The cuckoo changed its name to The Reservoir Tavern.But The Reservoir Tavern seems to have been on the corner of Cuckoo Rd and Lichfield Rd for years, way back into the 1800s .
Can anyone put a location to the Cuckoo tavern ? .
Was this area ever known as Hill Top ?
Many thanks
Julian Parker

Welcome Julian, nice to meet you.

The Cuckoo Tavern was definitely on the corner of Cuckoo Road and Lichfield Road until quite recently. I work (when I can go) at Cuckoo Wharf which is just past the site of the old pub. I have only ever heard the name Hill Top in relation to West Bromwich but I'm sure if this area has been called that someone else will put me straight.

Cheers Pedrocut , I've got that far. But I can't see why someone would think they are the same place. So I'm trying to place exactly where # 62 Cuckoo Rd was ,
Thanks for the input

The Cuckoo Tavern was definitely on the corner of Cuckoo Road and Lichfield Road until quite recently. I work (when I can go) at Cuckoo Wharf which is just past the site of the old pub. I have only ever heard the name Hill Top in relation to West Bromwich but I'm sure if this area has been called that someone else will put me straight.
Hi Lady P
Ouch, my brain hurts now.. !! ...
So was the Reservoir Tavern close by?
Cheers
JP

If it helps , the photo .
Licensee Alfred Moses Dabbs , The Cuckoo Tavern ,

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1616147811986.jpg
    FB_IMG_1616147811986.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 27
Now I'm confused Julian! I thought the Cuckoo Tavern was the one on the corner but maybe not. It certainly didn't look like the one in the picture above. Perhaps that was the Reservoir Tavern and the Cuckoo Tavern was further up Cuckoo Road? I'm trying to visualise the sign (with great difficulty) and I now think I was wrong in my last post and the one on the corner was the Reservoir. Sorry, it makes sense for it to be the Reservoir as it was directly opposite Salford Park. I'm now thinking there was a large sign on the side of the pub. Oh, I do wish I could ask my Dad - he knew all the pubs and was born almost opposite this one.

the reservoir pub was on this corner pen...frothy got the pub sign when they were demolishing it (he did ask lol)

Last edited:

Now I'm confused Julian! I thought the Cuckoo Tavern was the one on the corner but maybe not. It certainly didn't look like the one in the picture above. Perhaps that was the Reservoir Tavern and the Cuckoo Tavern was further up Cuckoo Road? I'm trying to visualise the sign (with great difficulty) and I now think I was wrong in my last post and the one on the corner was the Reservoir. Sorry, it makes sense for it to be the Reservoir as it was directly opposite Salford Park. I'm now thinking there was a large sign on the side of the pub. Oh, I do wish I could ask my Dad - he knew all the pubs and was born almost opposite this one.
Hercules bicycles was behind the pub

This is my theory (but I bow to Mike's knowledge)
I think the pub on the corner was the Reservoir Tavern, and further down the road, by the bridge,
and Hockley Brook in 1890 was the Cuckoo Tavern

Only Nos 70 to 80 on the corner are shown on later maps
62-64 would have been by the bridge

1890 map
1890W2.jpg

Last edited:
I think the pub on the corner was the Reservoir Tavern, and further down the road, by the bridge,

1890 map
View attachment 154691
Can't make the numbers out , i assume under the words cuckoo bridge in red ?
Thanks

At last I've sorted myself out! I think the Facebook page just confused the information.

Alfred Moses Dabbs was born at 206 High Street, Hill Top, West Bromwich and his father, also Alfred, was a beer house keeper. Doesn't give the name of the pub. Alfred Jnr still at Hill Top in 1901 by which time his father had died.
The Cuckoo Tavern was in the management of Arthur Henry Hill in 1911 but as we know Alfred took it over before 1915.
Alfred's still there in 1921.
(I noticed that living next door to the tavern on the 1911 census was Thomas William Dabbs - was he a relation? Did he tell Alfred that the tenancy had come up?)

Last edited:
the reservoir pub was on this corner pen...frothy got the pub sign when they were demolishing it (he did ask lol)
Yes Lyn, grovelling apology for defective memory!! I did say sorry to Julian for confusing him even further.
I could see that large sign on the side of the pub too. I was so sorry when they demolished the Reservoir and replaced it with that awful distracting advertising sign.

Yes Lyn, grovelling apology for defective memory!! I did say sorry to Julian for confusing him even further.
I could see that large sign on the side of the pub too. I was so sorry when they demolished the Reservoir and replaced it with that awful distracting advertising sign.
no apology need pen...i only knew where the res was because i followed the sad demise of it

lyn

At last I've sorted myself out! I think the Facebook page just confused the information.

Alfred Moses Dabbs was born at 206 High Street, Hill Top, West Bromwich and his father, also Alfred, was a beer house keeper. Doesn't give the name of the pub. Alfred Jnr still at Hill Top in 1901 by which time his father had died.
The Cuckoo Tavern was in the management of Arthur Henry Hill in 1911 but as we know Alfred took it over before 1915.
Alfred's still there in 1921.
(I noticed that living next door to the tavern on the 1911 census was Thomas William Dabbs - was he a relation? Did he tell Alfred that the tenancy had come up?)
Ah , well this is my bit ....
Mr Dabbs was registered at birth as Alfred Moses Dabbs Wheatley in 1887.His father Alfred Wheatley Dabbs was the illegitimate son of Ellen Wheatley, she did however marry the father Enoch Dabbs later the same year ,1858. Alfred Moses'' father, Grandfather, and uncle were all serial publicans/ brewers in the Hill Top area .( Brown Lion, Red Lion, Old Crown and A.N.other, #206 High st Hill Top ) .
Dabbs jnr first appears in Brum circa 1911 ,married to Edith and they have one child Ella Florence , and resident in Bellefield Rd.Given trade a Barman. Then by 1915 he is at The Cuckoo, during the early 1920s he keeps the Coach and Horses, 93 Spring Hill . By 1939 he appears to have left the trade , he states on the 1939 register he is a Asphalt Plant Foreman, still married to Edith,and daughter still at home and resident at Wheeler St, Brum . He passes in 1947
Regards

JP

1890 map
View attachment 154695
Excellent , thanks ...that just about puts the top hat on it....

Ah , well this is my bit ....
Mr Dabbs was registered at birth as Alfred Moses Dabbs Wheatley in 1887.His father Alfred Wheatley Dabbs was the illegitimate son of Ellen Wheatley, she did however marry the father Enoch Dabbs later the same year ,1858. Alfred Moses'' father, Grandfather, and uncle were all serial publicans/ brewers in the Hill Top area .( Brown Lion, Red Lion, Old Crown and A.N.other, #206 High st Hill Top ) .
Dabbs jnr first appears in Brum circa 1911 ,married to Edith and they have one child Ella Florence , and resident in Bellefield Rd.Given trade a Barman. Then by 1915 he is at The Cuckoo, during the early 1920s he keeps the Coach and Horses, 93 Spring Hill . By 1939 he appears to have left the trade , he states on the 1939 register he is a Asphalt Plant Foreman, still married to Edith,and daughter still at home and resident at Wheeler St, Brum . He passes in 1947
Regards

JP
hi julian there are plenty of pre demo photos of wheeler st on the wheeler st thread if you are interested just put in wheeler street in the seach box..any problems get back to me..oh i also have one photo of the coach and horses if you would like it ?

lyn

Back