• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Cuckoo. Ladywood

S

Stitcher

I can't be the only one who remembers the Cuckoo, real name 'The Standard' on the corner of Freeth St and Icknield Square in Ladywood. Having said that,:shocked: it was a bit of a backwater and was only a local, because there was never any passing trade. I used it in the late fifties and early sixties. All I knew about the landlord was that his name was Ray. Most of the customers were alright but I remember there were some strange people in there. I was born and raised in the shadow of the Gospel Oak so you can imagine my surprise when B,ham City Housing allocated my wife, me and three kids a back house with a shared outside toilet and a brewhouse.

Hi Stitcher ,
Yes You Are Not Alone When You Said About People Remembering The Cuckoo Pub InIcknield Sqaure , I AlsoRememberThe Glass Blowers Pub And The Freeth Arms , And The Stags Head At The Other End Of The Street
He Only Made His Bit Of Money During The Morning Session , From The Following Factorys ,Belliss And Morcome , Lesbrookes ,The Old Co/op
Ware House ,Before They Moved To A,b Row, The Freeth Arms Made His From The Locals During The Day Time And William Morriss The Rolling Mills
Across From The Factory And The Evenings It Was Always Full Of The Locals FromAround The Area Before They Built The Squirrel Pub On Lady Wood Rd By The Very Old Lady wood Police Station The They Drifted Off Up There Then He Decided To Bring In The Easy Room With Music To Get ThemBack On The Evenings Well Regards To Saying That They Was A Funny Family Around There
Ain,t Quite True There Was Alot Of Big Familys Down And Around The Sqaure But They Was Poor But Hard Working And They Kwept Themselves
Cleaned And To Them Selves And Knowing What I Know Of The Gospel Oak And The Familys Around There ,Then Yes I Would Be Abit Kind To Believe When You Said They Was Funny People EspecialyCome FromThe Shaddows Of The Gospel Oak And Around The Red Lion ,
Thats Two Different Cups Of Tea And TheyWas Slow Indeed ,
But It Was A Great Era , And Some Great Folks Used Those P

Here's pic's of 'The Freeth'

Now can anyone tel me what the number of 'The Cuckoo Pub InIcknield Sqaure' was please? My G/Great Grandad and his family were Publicans and also Hucksters on the 1891 census and up till about 1920ish, Their address' were 113, 114 and 117 InIcknield Sqaure, could 'The Cuckoo' have been their pub?

Attachments

• Ladywood Freeth Arms Ladywood.jpg
    Ladywood Freeth Arms Ladywood.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If its name was The Standard why was it called The Cuckoo? (also see my new thread!)

Bob

Pom, my eldest Sons best mate is a Freeth. It got me looking for the meaning and it has different meanings in different places.
Don't hold me to it there is so many different meaning on this one.

To the English Firth means living on or near scrubland, wood, woodland, or forest. The middle English meaning of Firth is an estuary or wide valley.

Freeth is a mixture of both.:)

I've now answered my own question ... LOL
No.112 Icknield Square was The Ivy Tavern in 1869 - I wonder if the street numbering went amiss, although I think 112 and 113 could just be a transcription error on the census. Now I wonder if anyone has a picture of the Tavern please?

Pom

Pomgolian, The Cuckoo was a local name for "THE STANDARD" and the nickname I believe was because of the funny people who frequented the place. I only lived in Ladywood for eighteen months but I became friendly with a man who I believe spent most of his childhood and teens in Icknield Square. If you want, I can E Mail him for information. He is in New Zealand but will help if he can.

Pomgolian, my friend in New Zealand does not know. I loked briefly on the Ladywood pubs and could not se a STANDARD. Look at the rough sketch of the Cuckoo location. The doorway was very similar to the one in your photo.

Hi Stitcher, I think what I now need is a couple of list from a Kelley's from around 1881 to about 1911. I might just put a request on the Kelley's threads.

By the way where in New Zealand does your friend live? You see I'm also in New Zealand.

Pom

Hi Sticher,

I remember the Cuckoo I used to go there when I was an apprentice at Belliss and Morcom. Try looking at this site www.oldladywood.co.uk there are lots of interesting things to see on the site

Regards George

Hello bass player,I was a regular in the cuckoo during the late fifties and early sixties although I did'nt drink much, and still don't. I had searched the Old Ladywood site before and found very little if anything about The Cuckoo or Standard to give it it's correct name. Have you seen the picture of Holders Garage front. It was almost opposite the Cuckoo? I still see Bob Holder who was the owner and did all the mechanic work. His brother Jack has sadly died now. Bob moved down to S. Wales a few years ago and I visit him about four time a year.

hello my mother iris perry used to sing in the pub. after i was born (1952) i was known for hanging outside the front doors waiting for a bottle of pop and crisps(smiths with the bag of salt)...my grandad was Harold (H) Perry used to dress upto the nines....trilby and dark suit.... nice to read how you remember this part of my life...thank you.....

In the 1950 Kelly's Directory the postal address of The Standard was 117 Icknield Square.

Phil

Pomgolian, The Cuckoo was a local name for "THE STANDARD" and the nickname I believe was because of the funny people who frequented the place. I only lived in Ladywood for eighteen months but I became friendly with a man who I believe spent most of his childhood and teens in Icknield Square. If you want, I can E Mail him for information. He is in New Zealand but will help if he can.
Hi stitches.. I knew a family who lived on icknield square.. name of McCanns...

Sorry stitcher..another family I knew also lived in the square name of McCandless.. Dorothy was my friend ..but the whole.family emigrated to Long beach I think in California America..

Here's pic's of 'The Freeth'

Now can anyone tel me what the number of 'The Cuckoo Pub InIcknield Sqaure' was please? My G/Great Grandad and his family were Publicans and also Hucksters on the 1891 census and up till about 1920ish, Their address' were 113, 114 and 117 InIcknield Sqaure, could 'The Cuckoo' have been their pub?
112 Icknield square was a pub called The Ivy Tavern.. there was a pub on the corner of ICKNIELD SQUARE and where it meets FREETH ST..

I'll try to throw some light on this issue. Firstly, Post #17 is incorrect as the Ivy Tavern is listed at 112 Icknield Street East and NOT Icknield Square. At this time the only pub officially in Icknield Square was the Rifle Volunteer.

First attachment is from the 1930s which shows that a pub in Icknield Square existed without a sign - not unusual but only a few remained without a name by this period.

Second attachment is a newspaper item dated March 1940 which has the name The Cuckoo, though this is not an official listing but a message from the family who patronised the boozer.

Third attachment is from 1952 Kelly's - same address as the pub with no sign before the war.

Fourth attachment is a 1955 map extract featuring 117 Icknield Square on the corner of Freeth Street.

Hope that helps, Kieron

Attachments

• Pubs Without Signs.jpg
    Pubs Without Signs.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Cuckoo.jpg
    Cuckoo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Standard 1952.jpg
    Standard 1952.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Standard Map 1955.jpg
    Standard Map 1955.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 35
This is my first post for quite a while!
I have researching family tree for many years, but have just started to put the flesh on the bones so to speak.
I have just found out that my Great Great Grandfather took over the license of The Standard in 1881. I had not found anything about it being called The Cuckoo ,but will look into that.
Did I see that some else had ancestors connected to The Standard…….could it be the same family.

Back