• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Crossways Cafe Lozells Villa road.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I visited a friend today and we got chatting about the old days. She told me her mom ran the above cafe and I said I would put it on the forum in case anyone remembered it?. Her name is Irene Ellis and she has a son by the name of Lawrence. Her husband was Bill. She remembers the furniture shop that she thinks was Cooks?. Did anyone ever have one of her famous breakfasts?. Jean.

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Jean you have really got me thinking now ..in the very early 60s my mom used to shop on the Villa road and i would go with her ..i remember straight over the road from the Villa picture house on one corner (left hand facing) was a deli .(.first one i ever saw )on the other corner(right hand) was the furniture shop ..not sure but i think the cafe was on your right standing with your back to the Villa Cross

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Next time I visit Rene she is going to sort out some old photo's of the cafe and even an old menu with all the prices on. I can't phone her as she is almost deaf and does not use the phone. Jean.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
jean thats great..do you think your friend would let you borrow the photos to post on the forum..:)

lyn

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi jean and rene
i think you will find the cross ways cafe was across the rd next to the picture house it the orinal one was next to the furtiture shop it was a little small place
and it was opened till late in the evening during the day when first opened yes it looked good with fitting and etc but as time moved on it had to catuer fo
the undesireables i have walked past there late of a night and i do not think it was called the cross ways the one being next to the furniture shop
and about six to nine months the big cross ways openened up across the way from them which was next to the picture house which did do a roaring trad and on the subject of the furtiture shop i am prety sure it was not cooks furtiture store i can vizulized the colour blue shop but i am trying to home in the name i did mention this subject about three years ago when the houghtons had the forum and i know the shop was donkeys years old when i grew up and associated around there
have a nice day every body best wishes and be care ful out there alan astonian

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Alan it was the small one Rene's mother owned. She also mentioned a furniture shop by it. Am looking forward to the photo's and I will take one of the menu from years ago. Jean.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi jean
yes i relized you mean the smal one next to the furtiture shop it was abit posh i know but it was abit later whilst that shop was still operating that whom ever it was openend up across the rd with a larger shop and a double front window wih people sitting both side of the windows i lok forewardd to seeng your pic from renie
have a nice day and give my regards to pete best wishes alan

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi jean
been thinking of the name and the intials of a word F comes to mind it could be fairweathers furtiture store or fair ways furtiture stores i am sure it was one or the other and not cooks
i m still racking my brain into gear and that cross ways next to the villa picture house was a very large double fronted shop and when i seen that cafe open
just across the rd i thought the cheeky beggars as give this over shop your friend competition
i still lok foreward to your renie picure alan

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Rene told me the other week that they always had little tablecloths on and a flower. Can you remember that Alan?. There was also a child living there by the name of Lawrence . Jean.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi jean
yes i most certainly do and thats why i said it was a little posh place which i thought to be in a place where it was
and as i said the wrong people late evening was congregateing in and out the place i was always weary walking back down to victoria rd late at night
making my way home but yes she done a great job and the food was good during he day light hours of course i am thinking of the summer nights when it stayed open longer thats when the rough lot started to congregate out side one or two inside
but when the one next to the villa opned up it was a complete down and out drop in the clientel was different and the dealing started going down
but yes jean it was your friends place that was a smart little coffee shop spotless inside and out with curtains as well
the other one was a huge double front glass windows never cleaned and dirty lookng speak soon jean alan