• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cottage, Mill Pool Hall Kings Heath

RobertS

master brummie
Hello folks

I'm looking for the location of Mill Pool Hall, Kings Heath so I can pin down the cottage. I know of Mill Pool Hill just past Coxmoor and the cannal wharfs to the right but can find no reference to a Mill Pool Hall.

Just in case there is anyone else on the trail the address was given in a marriage certificate as the home of one Lilian Rann a music hall artist in 1918. Lilians father was a Boat Owner, her mother a Coal Merchant and her husband Cyril Adams Bannister a journeyman Boat Builder working in Saltley.

Many thanks

Hi RobertS

On the 1911 census I can see a Mill Pool HILL Kings Heath. Is it possibly HILL on the certificate?

Suzanne

There are some addresses coming up on the electoral roll as "Canal Side Mill Pool Hill, Alcester Road South, Kings Norton"

Suzanne

Suzanne - I think both addresses refer to he same Mill Pool Hill.

Millpool Hill is the area around The Horseshoe pub on the Alcester Road South (A435) between Kings Heath and Maypole. The pub which is adjacent to the Birmingham - Stratford upon Avon Canal has an old coal wharf at the rear of it, and there were a number of cottages alongside the canal and in Lime Kiln Lane.

Colin

Thanks for the replies folks. (I know the area we are talking about quite well from my childhood)

The certificate is so clear that I thought I would look for a Hall. I couldn't find one, if Colin doesn't know about one, and no one else has heard of it surviving into the 1920's, I am now thinking the registrar made a mistake. Misheard but wrote it clearly!

Unless anyone can tell me differently I'm going to put my money on one of the cottages on the main road or those on Lime Kiln Lane.

Many thanks

You may be aware, but , as far as i can see, no-one has pointed out thst the electoral roll of 1920 list Cyril Adams Bannister of occupying a bungalow which is listed shortly after Mill Pond Hill. Unfortunately this does not make the exact position clear, but i show the map c 1915 of the area, and the listings given in order:
(Cannot seem to post pdfs on the site)
Electoral Roll
Mill Pool Hill

The Horse Shoe
House
2 Farmhouse
Bungalow & boathouse
House
Land (abode 39 Warwick Road
Cyri, adams Bannister Bungalow (abode 52 George Arthur road)
Land (abode Billesley Farm, Yardley Wood road)

map_c_1915_alcester_road_near_The_horse_shoe.jpg

Thanks Mikejee, this makes it a little clearer.

The cottages and buildings above the Horseshoe had gone when I was a lad. They had probably been demolished when the bridge was widened and the road layout changed in the 1930's. The wharf on lime kiln lane was still there but just used as a yard, and the basin at the back of the pub was too blocked to swim into!

I became sucked into this looking at the boat business around Birmingham and its relation to the industry. Interestingly Cyril Adams Bannister was in Candada journeyman boat building in Thunder Bay on Lake Superior within three years of this electoral role and doing rather well. The bride was living with someone else from about this period, still on the Music Halls and her parents (Arthur and Mary), retained had interests in the boat and coal business.

Once again thanks for the information, the electoral role and the map combined are excellent.

The mention of the boat house brings many happy memories,around about 1944 aged 14 I spent many hours
Hiring the boats.A very good selection,plain rowing boats ,Skiffs.Canoes,Rob roys?
Happy Days
John Hughes

i also have a relative in 1911 lived at Canal Side Mill Pool Hill a Thomas Hill living with a Mary Sawyer
Thomas is said to have drowned himself in the canal

I remember playing in the cottages which would be on the opposite side of the road to the garage that now stands there. This would be in the 70`s. They were derelict and awaitng demolition. I used to live on the Heath and my mate lived in Marsham Rd. We used to have fun just playing in them as they werent boarded up. Dont think they boarded up any derelict properties in them days.

I remember playing in the cottages which would be on the opposite side of the road to the garage that now stands there. This would be in the 70`s. They were derelict and awaitng demolition. I used to live on the Heath and my mate lived in Marsham Rd. We used to have fun just playing in them as they werent boarded up. Dont think they boarded up any derelict properties in them days.

Having grown up in Sladepool Farm road I'm familiar with Marsham road. You mention living "on the Heath" Les, could that be Druids Heath ?
(I think I might be a touch older than you and I DID move away many years ago, so bear with me !).

Hi Maypolebaz,
Yeh, You are right it was Druids Heath I lived on, Moved in about 1969 when they were brand new, Lived on Manningford Road,

Cheers Les.

A mate of mine moved in to one of the big tower blocks when it was brand new. We all thought it was "dead posh" at the time. How wrong that proved to be !
I was a paper kid on the huge prefab estate that was there before Druids Heath was built. I worked for a newsagent called Westwoods at the Maypole. I don't know if they were still there in your day.

Having grown up in Sladepool Farm road I'm familiar with Marsham road. You mention living "on the Heath" Les, could that be Druids Heath ?
(I think I might be a touch older than you and I DID move away many years ago, so bear with me !).
The Road is Limekiln Lane and they have just rebuilt the garage on the left hand side of the lane

Millpool Hill is the area around The Horseshoe pub on the Alcester Road South (A435) between Kings Heath and Maypole. The pub which is adjacent to the Birmingham - Stratford upon Avon Canal has an old coal wharf at the rear of it, and there were a number of cottages alongside the canal and in Lime Kiln Lane.

Colin
Hi RobertS

On the 1911 census I can see a Mill Pool HILL Kings Heath. Is it possibly HILL on the certificate?

Suzanne

Attachments

• D3DC80C4-9F4D-47CF-838C-FEF7591A6F4D.jpeg
    D3DC80C4-9F4D-47CF-838C-FEF7591A6F4D.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 15
i also have a relative in 1911 lived at Canal Side Mill Pool Hill a Thomas Hill living with a Mary Sawyer
Thomas is said to have drowned himself in the canal
My grandfather lived at 1. Yew Tree Cottages, Mill Pool Hill in the 1911 census.

Back