• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The corner sweet shop

Hi Welshsaddler. Your memories are very familiar ones. Regular trips to the sweet shop were for me and my friends the norm if we had a few pennies in our pockets. We were talking about the new £1 coin yesterday. It's supposed to look like a 'thruppenny' bit. So it started us off trying to work out how many quarters or two ounces of sweets we could get for threepence in the 1950s. The sums were too difficult to do (!) so in the end we just agreed we'd be able to get 'a lot' for threepence. You were lucky getting a bike for passing the 11+. I just got a 'well done'. Keep posting your memories, we all love a trip down memory lane. Viv.

Meant to post my sweetie loves and hates. First one (pear drops) hated, second one (milk bottles) absolutely adored. We have a 'fake' old fashioned sweet shop in our high street and although many of the sweets look the same, they don't quite taste the same. Or maybe that's just me. Viv

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395576849.008599.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395576849.008599.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 5
I was a pupil atFormans Rd School 1946-1950 and remember Jukes and Trumams shops. On the first day of the month when sweet coupons started Jukes shop was always full. One person would use his coupon and the other would pay, and then divide the sweets. The next week the position would be reversed.

Iforgot to say that Jukes shop was right next to the school in Reddings Lane,the buliding on the corner of Weston Lane and Reddings Lane was a post office run by Mr wadsworth, his son went to our school.

Iforgot to say that Jukes shop was right next to the school in Reddings Lane,the buliding on the corner of Weston Lane and Reddings Lane was a post office run by Mr wadsworth, his son went to our school.
I started Yardley grammar in 1952. The man who ran it at the time was a Mr Clarke. So we called it Clarke's. But I remember the older students referred to it as "tru's". So I assume they hadn't long left in 1952.

Re: The corner sweet shop medina Rd

Well Blacksmith! You bring back memories to me. I recall meeting Mrs Wooley on a couple of occasions around 1969/70. I met her because My Mom (Mrs Holt) bought the corner shop and she kept it in much the same as you describe in your recollections. We had a shed which we kept the 'pop' in and I recall there being a very weird banana flavoured one.
i returned to Tyseley from The Liverpool area where we moved to in 1979 and was gob smacked to see Yardleys gone and houses in their place. The old sweet shop was converted to a house by my Mom and Dad as profits dwindled. But it did look somewhat uncared for when I last saw it!

As a lad growing up in the Medina rd/Havelock rd area I still recall other special places and people. Anyone remember 'Pam's' an emporium type shop at the lower end of Havelock Rd? I believe their son Mark went on to become a major player in the strongest man circuit. Also Havelock rd had a further claim to fame in that it was the home of 'Astro' the 'toaster' of UB40 during his formative years.
i actually attended the Leys secondary and was there during the change over to Yardleys.
i recall climbing over the gates of the sports field of The then Yardley Grammar, to use their pitches and goal posts, the top end of which is now occupied by the new Yardleys school.
I have intentionally not mentioned family names but I do hope readers out ther will post and recall their memories.
I'm a new member - joined a few minutes ago. I attended Yardley Grammar School from 1955 to 1962. I remember very well the sweet shop at corner of Medina Rd and Havelock Road - this being on the boys' side of the school. I must have spent a fair bit of my pocket money there!
Interestingly, I also spent time in Liverpool - I was at Liverpool University from 1962 to 1966. Of course, I am/was very familiar with Yardley GS sports field. Although it was a rugby school, we guys used to play soccer on the fields, during every break! Iam now 79 years old, and have lived in South Africa since December1970.

I'm a new member - joined a few minutes ago. I attended Yardley Grammar School from 1955 to 1962. I remember very well the sweet shop at corner of Medina Rd and Havelock Road - this being on the boys' side of the school. I must have spent a fair bit of my pocket money there!
Interestingly, I also spent time in Liverpool - I was at Liverpool University from 1962 to 1966. Of course, I am/was very familiar with Yardley GS sports field. Although it was a rugby school, we guys used to play soccer on the fields, during every break! Iam now 79 years old, and have lived in South Africa since December1970.
Dave, welcome to The Forum, enjoy!

Back