• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cold War

The site seems to be hosted on the webmasters own free webspace provided by his ISP, I'm really not saying thats a bad thing, but it doesnt always respond so quickly has paid for webspace? JUST A THEORY.

The site does have some incredible facts posted, and some good links to follow. When I was on VB we had a good set of postings regarding Anchor and the other covert tunnels we have under Brum.

great posting you live and learn every day, anchor site really educational
thanks
jake

The Cold WAR

The cold war was during a period of time was when Democratic nations of the West recognised it was important to build a barrier against the threat of forced Communism.

Canada’s contribution to international peace included its participation in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization which was established in the late 1940s, and the North American Air defense system in 1957. The latter- which integrated the air defense forces of Canada .and the United States was renamed the North American Aerospace Defense Command in 1981.

The military strength deployed during the Cold War were trained and ready to keep the peace by meeting the threat with great numbers and quality forces . The object was to avoid Global Warfare. That wasn’t achieved, but there was certainly a price to be paid along the way…..

Those who served in the Royal Canadian Air force were channeled into air defense against the Soviet Bomber threat and later into the NATO European theatre. It was a perilous time and defenders of Democracy lost a lot of friends who are remembered by aircrew but not so much by the public A number of aircrew were killed during operation training or where flying along the border with East Germany and Czechoslovakia with cocked guns and MG Fighter Jets patrolling the other side

We shouldn’t glorify NATO or NORAD ex servicemen, but we need recognize them for their dedication and willingness to put their life on the line in time of need.. They gave us ‘Truly Peace in Our Time’ at considerable sacrifice in living conditions as well as valour in the skies. Some did it for the challenge, some for patriotism – and some because it was just plain exciting. Whatever the motivation - we owe to the citizens to remind them they have people to thank for keeping them free during the Cold War.

Back