• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Close, Selly Oak

Yes I agree viv. am not familiar with the buildings, but they are obviously worth saving. There have been too many fires in listed buildings both accidental and otherwise

I thought I new old Selly Oak very well , but never seen or heard of that one Viv, hope it dosn't go the way of so many others. Paul

These are the three 'cottages' via Google Earth (centre of image). Don't seem to be able to get there via Streetview. Can see a clear rear view of the cottages (first image below) but front view is in deep shade (second image below). 'The Close' seems to be a square with buildings all around it. The term 'cottage style' used to describe these Arts & Crafts buildings is very charming, but they're not traditional cottages, they're very obviously pretty spacious. The buildings were built as a memorial to Henry Stanley Newman and his wife, Quaker missionaries. (From what I can make out, they never lived there as the cottages were built as a memorial to them - Henry lived in Leominster for most of his life).

This is the listing for the buildings. It's 3 buildings but 5 residencies.
https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-216814-the-close-at-westhill-college-

image.jpgimage.jpg

Viv.

Last edited:
Back