• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Clock Garage has Stopped

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Time called on Castle Bromwich's Clock Garage

Jan 12 2010 by Jonny Greatrex, Birmingham Mail. Posted by Len.

the-clock-garage-in-castle-bromwich-439444697.jpg

MORE than half a century of motoring history has come to an end at a well-known city site.
The Clock Garage, in Newport Road, Castle Bromwich, had been a car garage since the early days of personal transport in the 1940s.
But last month staff at the Robins and Day Peugeot dealership shut the doors for the last time and made their move to a new site on the nearby Tyburn Road.
Many of the 35-strong team had worked at the site, which gets its name from the its huge clock tower, for decades.
Hassan Erfan, 47, from Mile Oak, in Tamworth, moved to Birmingham from his native Iran in 1988 and landed a job at the firm as a service adviser. The father-of-three, who is now service manager, said: “The Clock Garage was like a family business.
“Staff had been there for a very long time so naturally when you leave something behind like that there is sadness.
“It was a very old building but it was like a home.
“We got very used to the place and it was a landmark but people must look forward to a new place and new situation.
“The new building is definitely a lot more comfortable.” The boss at the garage, dealer principle Paul Cole, feels the site offers both his staff and customers a lot more.
He said: “I have been with Peugeot since 1991, but at this dealership since 2007, so I had already developed a soft spot for the old place.
“I know quite a few staff were sad to say goodbye to it but, in terms of facilities, the Tyburn Road site is much better.
“We have lots more parking space for our cars and for customers, and the offices have so much more room.
“I know we are considered to be a flagship dealership by the company.”
The move was prompted after Peugeot’s lease on the site ran out. The car giant has run a business there since the late 1960s and at one point were combined with the now defunct Talbot car firm, most famous for its vans and campers.
Talbot was the brand name given to vehicles sold in the UK in the early part of the last century by French firm Clement-Bayard.
It was briefly owned by American carmakers Chrysler before Peugoet took over in 1978.
But the brand was axed in 1992 when the production of its vans came to a close. The future of the site has yet to be decided by oil giant BP which now owns it.

Talbot was the brand name given to vehicles sold in the UK in the early part of the last century by French firm Clement-Bayard.
Amusing how these firms mess up the detail of their heritage!
The Clement Talbot company was set up to import French built Clement cars, and build Talbots. From 1919 the company was owned by the French Darracq company (which was British-financed), and in 1920 the two combined with Wolverhampton based Sunbeam to form STD - Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq. STD's chief engineer, Louis Coatalen, developed the combine's highly successful racing and world record breaking cars. See here for more about these companies.

Sir Henry Seagrave's 1927 1000HP world land speed record breaking Sunbeam.

View attachment 43663

Thats sad news Len another piece of of my life gone use to pass it everyday in the 196Os on my way to & from work:(

hello all, i will miss the old Clock garage, i used their facilities quite a lot when i lived in Kinshurst in the late 60's, and when going backwards and forwards to workingmens clubs.

shardeen

Such a shame The Clock was where we would fill up after visiting Michael's Mom who lived just up the road behind the Hunters Moon.

What will we call that island now, always know it as the "clock island" sad to see these memories go, my mom & dad lived just up the roadfrom there after they moved from aston with the redevelopment of tower road.

hi Baron
yes guys it sad to see the site disapear we will not only loose our petrol station
and a very good reputable car dealership
but yes indeed a good old brumegan land mark we,ve used for decades for direction ;
all us brummies ;
get your sledges out boys and girls and have a nice day
best wishes Astonian ;;

The petrol station is still trading, it is the Peugot dealership which has moved to Tyburn Road. The petrol station was open yesterday when we went past.

The petrol station is still trading, it is the Peugot dealership which has moved to Tyburn Road. The petrol station was open yesterday when we went past.
Hi all The Clock site as been obtained by WEATHERSPOONS PUB CHAIN so i suppose they are going to turn it into a pub bet they call it the clock me thinks.

My Uncle used to be a petrol pump attendant there forever ago,
it was an extra job/part time evenings and weekends,it won,t be the same without it on that corner.
regards Dereklcg..

What will we call that island now, always know it as the "clock island" sad to see these memories go, my mom & dad lived just up the roadfrom there after they moved from aston with the redevelopment of tower road.

Yes Keith I remember it as the Clock island when I lived at Chipperfield Road
just past the Island in 1958:)

A friend of mine who lives in Liverpool i am sure his son son was manager there around the year 2000 his name Kirkwood his farther used to deliver cars around the country for him.

In Midland Red days when the Clock still had fuel pumps on the forecourt it was a regular pull up to 'borrow' cans of water for overheated buses.

We went past the Clock Garage yesterday and it is boarded up. I remember when mom was alive she used to get the ring and ride that in those day did not go any further than the clock and my son would wate to pick her up from there. Jean.

Back