• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Clements

chocks2

master brummie
Hi All
On a rare foray into Brum yesterday I saw a pub in Newtown Row that I've never noticed before called the Clements can any of you tell me of it's history? Is it new or old? what was there before? whats it like etc etc Cheers all!

The Clements Arms was at 97 Newtown row back to before 1890, though in the 1880s the numbering changed from 47 Newtown row
mike

Thanks Mike. I must have been driving round with my eyes shut for the last 50 years or so , I've never spotted the pub before.

The Clements Arms was my grans local,c1910-1939.It once housed the Lonsdale Belt,won by Bert Kirby,hung on the back of a chair.

My nan and grandad used to be the licencees. That must have been in the 1940s/50s.

Have answered your question from the other thread here so its all together.
1940 (taking over from william boddington) Stanley Geoffrey Cox
1943 - 44 Frederick Cornes
1949 - 50 Samuel Gauser
1949-On .Landlord not listed in directories
mike

Wasn't it called something else too? In the beer garden it's got old signs everywhere saying "king of the road"... it had another nickname also but I can't remember

hi clive...i think the reason for the king of the road signs in the beer garden of the clements is because the landlord used to run the king of the road pub (hospital st) so he must have bought the signs with him..king of the road pub now demolished...

lyn

hi clive...i think the reason for the king of the road signs in the beer garden of the clements is because the landlord used to run the king of the road pub (hospital st) so he must have bought the signs with him..king of the road pub now demolished...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I checked, you're absolutely right

A few of used The Clements in the early 1970's, usually on weekends. I thought it was a good pub, well-run, with a few real 'characters' amongst the clientele. There was a bloke who sometimes dropped in and played the concertina. I didn't know it no longer exists.

G

yes G still very much up and running...i popped in there last year and my brothers dominoes team uses the clements for their home games after the globe pub in blews st closed its doors

lyn

Lyn, I misunderstood one of the earlier posts and assumed The Clements had gone. Thanks for the correction!

G

I used to work a few doors away from the Clements in the early 60's and Christmas time we would squeeze on there for a drink or two, but I can't day I ever used it at any other time. Looking at these two images the frontage at least must have been revamped at some time.

Attachments

• Newtown The Clements Newtown Row.jpg
    Newtown The Clements Newtown Row.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Newtown Clements Arms Newtown Row.jpg
    Newtown Clements Arms Newtown Row.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 42
The Clements Arms has now being renamed 'The Row Tavern'. Although it's only a name change can't help feeling another bit of the old Brum has been disposed of.

its even worse than a name change BB....its been closed for some months now...i just cant see it opening as a pub again...very sad as there is some age to it

lyn

its even worse than a name change BB....its been closed for some months now...i just cant see it opening as a pub again...very sad as there is some age to it

lyn

Lyn one thing I could never understand about this pub when I lived down the road by the Bartons from 1976-96 was the opening hours some days you'd go by closed next time same time open

lyn
Oh no... The Clements, left a life long impression on me, or should I say a certain barmaid did, she stole my heart. That was way back around 1969. I don’t get to drive by that way much, but when I did I always looked at pub thinking..I wonder what happened to (*#’lj)... I told myself that I would make a point and just go in for a drink and soak up anything that reminded of those days. She worked in a small bar at the back.. a bit like a snug. I first fell in love with her Irish accent, we became friends and soon I was there any night she was working. We did become a couple for a few months until we fell out about something that I can’t remember now. But I learned a very important thing, that I still apply to life. Don’t be afraid to say sorry. I have always wonder how different my life could have been. Sorry for rambling on.

Back