• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Clements Arms Upper Trinity St

hi nick if your dad liked a pint i bet he did use the clements with it being so close to the neptune works..

lyn

Thank you for posting the Clements Arms history posters, Lyn. It is good to fill in so much more detail. I do disagree with the statement made on the poster that the Clements existed in 1835, as the pub as not shown on the 1839 map in an earlier post. Pehaps William Pugh merely lived in the area in 1835.

yes i see what you mean shirl..i cant see it on the 1839 map either...i guess its possable that william pugh could have run just a beer house nearby before moving to the clements...

lyn

Yes, Lyn, I recognise that there was traffic along that route, but its difficult to accept that it would have been enough to justify a pub being built there back in 1835 to capitalise on travellers' needs so close to Birmingham, Deritend & Digbeth & I doubt that the area was built up enough to provide trade in that location.

I have looked without success for pictures of early Victorian cabs. All I can find so far are views of coaches, but it would be reasonable to suppose that given the Pugh's limited premises the family were in the business of hiring out smaller vehicles, perhaps for local trips.

Below are two drawings of Hansom's. one the original version, and the other one dated c 1841, which would correspond to Pugh's time. they are from Te History of the London Cab Trade, pub 1995 by Phillip Warren

original_hansom_cab_c_1834A.jpg

early_hansm_cab_c_1841A.jpg

Thank you both, Jennyann & Mike. Those early cabs (short for cabriolet) used in Pugh's time look quite alarming & I do wonder how safe the drivers were, especially on Birmingham's roads. The size of the cabs fits with the limited space available next to the Clements Arms in Pugh's era.

When did it close down? As it was boarded up when I went past it today. Sign up said "Sold by Auction"

what a shame el...must have closed recently i would think...thanks for the pics...

lyn

I thought that it might have been used during the St Patrick's Day celebrations, but if it was closed, probably not.

The last Licencee must have only lasted 2 years!

Hi Brummie Nick
I found this thread quite by accident. I was 'googling' for references to Hoskins and Son and discovered the pictures related to the "Clements". Dad (to the best of my knowledge) didn't 'visit' The Clements Arms but he did work at Hoskins. I recall the factory very well as I spent many hours there at weekends when Dad was working (unpaid) overtime. He was the company Accountant/Auditor.
Old Brummie.

post 11 to 14 will show photos and information about this pub including a list of landlords from 1833...i am so pleased that 4 years ago i popped in to take some inside shots...this photo taken today shows work is ongoing..no idea if its to be re opened as a pub...hope i am wrong but as in these cases with our old pubs i think it most unlikely..

lyn

DIGBETH AREA 2017 012.JPG

Update on the former Clements Arms seen from the Coventry Road in Bordesley. With a new building to the right of it.

thanks ell...no movement then on the pub from the photo i posted in feb post 34..new building was then then

lyn

Wondering whey they didn't use the full land for the new building. Unless it's for a car park or garden?

My first photo update of it in over 4 years.

yes i see what you meant about that little bit of land ell...but you could be right about it being saved for a car park for residents of the new build as it looks like double yellows all around it..

Looking at the photos it appears as though the railway bridge which was on the left might have been demolished. can someone confirm if that line still exists?

OldBrummie.

Back