• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Clements Arms Upper Trinity St

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The Clements Arms in Upper Trinity St is well worth a visit for the quaint interior alone. These photographs are of the exterior, but its hoped that our most intrepid reporter has interior shots & can post them later.
2011 Upper Trinity St Clements Arms  S2 BHF.jpg2011 Upper Trinity St Clements Arms S7 BHF.jpg

Built in 1840, or early 1841 at the very latest, the Clements Arms was at that time the business premises & home of William Pugh, beer retailer. By 1848 he was operating it as a beerhouse & car operation, though I have been unable to identify any example of the type of transport he would have provided. William Pugh's widow Elizabeth subsequently became the licended victualler. In 1852 the railway was opened & by 1855 the Railway Inn was the name of the drinking establishment. In 1857 it was encumbered with the less catchy title the Birmingham & Oxford Railway Inn. Elizabeth expanded her business interests & in 1862 had a blacksmith's too, presumably in the yard next to the pub. Following Elizabeth Pugh was Caroline Lane who ran the pub as the Railway Inn & by 1879 the landlord was Owen Shaw who ran the pub as the Clements Arms. Edward Birch too over as the manager & barman & then for a longer tenure James Severn was landlord, certainly from 1901 - 1911.
Excluding scullery & any bathroom the private rooms of the Clements Arms numbered only 3, at least in 1911.
Until better photos arrive here is one picture of the distinctive dark wood interior of the Clements Arms.

Attachments

• 2011 Clements Arms interior July 2011 Kodak 2.jpg
    2011 Clements Arms interior July 2011 Kodak 2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 62
My thanks go to Mike for providing a copy of the 1839 map, which shows that the Clements Arms had yet to be built.

Attachments

• 1839 Upper Trinity Soc for Diffusion of Usefull Knowledge.jpg
    1839 Upper Trinity Soc for Diffusion of Usefull Knowledge.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 40
The 1889 map clearly shows next to the Clements Arms the yard where Elizabeth Pugh would have run her blacksmith's business.
1889 Upper Trinity St Clements Arms 1889.JPG1890 Upper Trinity junct Coventry Rd BHO.JPG

Bordesley Exile,

A couple of earlier photos of the Clements for you, I think I might of used it at least once I think I also popped in to the Dolphin on the corner of New Bond Street just up the road on the same evening.

Attachments

• Bordesley Clements Arms  Upper Trinity St 1958 .jpg
    Bordesley Clements Arms Upper Trinity St 1958 .jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Small Heath Cements Arms Bordesley Coventry Rd.jpg
    Small Heath Cements Arms Bordesley Coventry Rd.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 77
Thank you for posting the older photops of the Clements Arms, Phil. Its good to see how minimal the changes are to the buildings, even if the vehicles outside are very different.

smashing thread about the clements shirl with good info....as you know i accidently deleted the inside shots i took last year but hoping to go back very shortly to get some more...

lyn

I am looking forward to your photos, Lyn. Although my exterior shots were ok the interior pictures were awful. Such a pity as its the inside of the Clements Arms that is most special. It deserves to be appreciated.
Shirley

Another picture of the Clements Arms showing the isolation of the building.

Attachments

• Upper Trinity St Clements Arms S1.jpg
    Upper Trinity St Clements Arms S1.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 50
clements arms cov road 002.JPGclements arms cov road 003.JPGclements arms cov road 004.JPGsorry im a bit late with posting these shirl...interior shots of the clements taken as i was passing there last week...

lyn

clements arms cov road 018.JPGoops posted the same one twice there..just found this one...the pub is up for sale..

Yes there was also a clements arms in ladywood on the corner of clarke street oppersite the freeth arms on
the corner of freeth street and next to the crown picture house many years back in the fiftys nd through to the seventys
so there was manmy a clemt arms around brum ; just like the rose and crowns in brum ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;

Thank you so much for taking & sharing these photos of the interior of the Clements Arms, Lyn. They really show what character this pub has & how it is worth a visit.
There must be a reason that you took a photo of the lounge bench. Is there a story there?

thanks shirl...it was a pleasure..reason i took one of the bench seating in the lounge is because it shows the old push button bells customers rang for service...lovely to see them still there...

lyn

Thats the first time I have come across call buttons in a pub, Lyn. I wish I had known that they were there when I visited the place.

i also missed them when we were in there last year shirl..ive seen them in a few pubs ive visited in the past..think i will start looking for them on my future pub crawls lol..these info sheets maybe of interest to our members...did not come out too bad considering they are behind glass...

clementsarmscovroad010.jpg clementsarmscovroad011.jpg clementsarmscovroad012.jpg clementsarmscovroad013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last picture there's a reference to Hoskins & Son Neptune Works seen just up from the pub, my father worked there in the early 50's they made ships berths and other types of beds. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd used the Clements at times.:acne:

Nick

Back