• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The City Of Birmingham Baths Department 1851 - 1951

dwilly

master brummie
Just picked up a book of the above title, gives a little history into the baths built and maintained by Birmingham City during the years mentioned. Has some old pictures and drawings, some will have been seen before, gives an insight into these baths. If anyone interested will try and copy some pages etc but like I say doesn't give alot of info

Attachments

• Birmingham Baths.jpg
    Birmingham Baths.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 13
I was surprised, reading through it and looking at pictures etc how some have survived, not all as baths but the buildings remain, like the Norton Baths in Saltley must have driven past it hundreds of times but never noticed it, when you look at the picture of what it was like when it was built and what it looks like today it hasn't changed other than covering up the men and women sign over the doors

If you look at the link colin b has posted, it has most of the info from the book, anything or anywhere particular you are interested in?

dwilly

Its a good book with loads of info about Swimming Baths, Washing Baths and Communal laundries facilities. It must have been an expensive book to compile as it has almost a parchment type feel to the pages. I was given a copy by an ex member of this site and often refer to it.

Hi phil I remember going to the wash baths in green lane when we were to old to wash in our tin bath . The baths were awful rusty at the bottom and only aloud so much water and time , them were the days .Acer

Back