• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Cherry arbour stratford road

Louis Dalby

The Ham Man
I am looking for info on the Cherry arbour which was in Stratford Sreet Sparkhill. My mothers Grandfather Louis Litherland was the landlord in the 20's

Last edited:
The Cherry Arbour was at 66 Stratford street. up to 1908 it appeared to be a private residence. 1912 Louis Litherland was there as a beer retailer (no pub name). In 1921 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, still with louis litherland. In 1932 and 1933 Mrs ellen worth was there as a beer retailer {no pub name). In the 1940 kjellys it is not listed, but in the 1944, 1950, 1956 and 1964 Kellys it is again The Cherry Arbour, with a Laurence Browne as licensee. 1967 -1973 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, with no listed landlord. this seems common about that time, presumably because they changed so often.
Mike

Last edited:
The Cherry Arbour was at 66 Stratford road. up to 1908 it appeared to be a private residence. 1912 Louis Litherland was there as a beer retailer (no pub name). In 1921 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, still with louis litherland. In 1932 and 1933 Mrs ellen worth was there as a beer retailer {no pub name). In the 1940 kjellys it is not listed, but in the 1944, 1950, 1956 and 1964 Kellys it is again The Cherry Arbour, with a Laurence Browne as licensee. 1967 -1973 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, with no listed landlord. this seems common about that time, presumably because they changed so often.
Mike

Many thanks Mike.

I am looking for info on the Cherry arbour which was in Stratford Sreet Sparkhill. My mothers Grandfather Louis Litherland was the landlord in the 20's

I have added picture. Lou Dalby.
Lost photo replaced by what I believe was same as original

The Cherry Arbour.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cherry Arbour was at 66 Stratford street. up to 1908 it appeared to be a private residence. 1912 Louis Litherland was there as a beer retailer (no pub name). In 1921 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, still with louis litherland. In 1932 and 1933 Mrs ellen worth was there as a beer retailer {no pub name). In the 1940 kjellys it is not listed, but in the 1944, 1950, 1956 and 1964 Kellys it is again The Cherry Arbour, with a Laurence Browne as licensee. 1967 -1973 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, with no listed landlord. this seems common about that time, presumably because they changed so often.
Mike
My grandfather was Harry Browne

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad was Ken Godfrey, he worked for Harry Browne and we moved in to the Cherryharbour when Harry left.
Wow! I’d have loved to know what he was like to work for! Do you have any photos of the pub? My mum drove me to see it but had just burnt down. I now run pubs in London and for Mitchell’s and Butler. Thank you for your post

Wow! I’d have loved to know what he was like to work for! Do you have any photos of the pub? My mum drove me to see it but had just burnt down. I now run pubs in London and for Mitchell’s and Butler. Thank you for your post
I remember your Grandad vaguely, I know my Dad enjoyed working for him...We left the pub in 1974 and I have no photos of the place just lots of happy memories! I went back there about 20 years ago and it was gone! The pub trade is obviously in your blood.

The Cherry Arbour was at 66 Stratford road. up to 1908 it appeared to be a private residence. 1912 Louis Litherland was there as a beer retailer (no pub name). In 1921 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, still with louis litherland. In 1932 and 1933 Mrs ellen worth was there as a beer retailer {no pub name). In the 1940 kjellys it is not listed, but in the 1944, 1950, 1956 and 1964 Kellys it is again The Cherry Arbour, with a Laurence Browne as licensee. 1967 -1973 it is listed as The Cherry Arbour, with no listed landlord. this seems common about that time, presumably because they changed so often.
Mike
Sorry Mike, but is the address you gave correct as 66 is by Henley Street in Sparkbrook, and I don't remember a beer retailer there between 1954 & 1964

Sorry Mike, but is the address you gave correct as 66 is by Henley Street in Sparkbrook, and I don't remember a beer retailer there between 1954 & 1964
1921 directory
1642530600370.png

Note it is Stratford STREET not Stratford Road.

Last edited:
Sorry Dave, but this was a mistype. the original query stated that it was at Stratford St , not Stratford Road, and unfortunately I stated roadin the reply. I have corrected the original post

No problem Mike! Thanks for the map Janice. I must have walked past Stratford Street loads of times as we used to visit a family that were very close friends of my family very often. Also as I went to Golden Hillock School for five years I toured most of that area but without paying attention to the surroundings!
The good thing about this forum is that it don't half get the brain working!

I'd like to thank you for this post. I printed off the census information for Louis Litherland who married my relation, Emma Smith Allart in 1879.
The address on the census and the transcription made no sense until I found this. It seems that Arthur John Litherland was the beer retailer in 1911.

Back