• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The changing face of local waterways

Heartland

master brummie
The Birmingham Canal side has changed and is still changing as new buildings replace older structures, often of heritage value.

The view at the junction of the Oozells Loop north of Sheepcote Street has changed with time:623051.JPG

There were a whole range of buildings that faced Sheepcote Street and backed onto the canal. There was a towpath on the right that was part of the original towing path before Telford built the New Main Line and created the junction with the Oozells Branch across which the bridge spanned. When first opened in 1769 the canal actually went further towards Sheepcote Street before turning a bend that was called Sandy Turn. The straightening of that turn was done in the early 1800's. Now this industrial scene is lost forever with new builds. This 1990's view shows the reconstruction under way.

648911.jpg648911.jpg

Heartland, As a watercolourist I prefer the 1st pic and am downloading it as a possible painting leaving the background flats out - hope that's OK with you. Eric

A 2009 view in the rain.

Ladywood Junction near the Oozells Street Loop. King Edward's Wharf.

Further along the Oozells Branch was the former Fellows Morton & Clayton Warehouse at Sherborne Wharf

644806.jpg

Here is a couple of photogrphs of yester years and it the changing of the use of our one time grand cannals

Attachments

• 4-11-18-1.jpg
    4-11-18-1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 35
Astonian has shown two pictures-the top is of Farmer's Bridge Locks looking towards Elkingtons Works, with Whitmores Arm side bridge bottom left.

The lower image is of Caggy Stevens.

Another view of the Canal from the Arena looking towards Broad Street. This was a period where many buildings had been demolished to make way for others.

Brindley Place is under construction at this time.

630641.jpg

What a conglomeration of architecture in Post #9.
I am reminded of a seaside esplanade with cafeterias (left), a converted East Anglian grain warehouse and a power station (centre). It is only the tall blocks that suggest a city. However, the dear old canal seems to survive, despite it all.

Hi Guys what a transition that the water ways board and council have acheived over the years, i have just been scrolling
over the photograghs over members have provided for us ,and then i went into memory lane thinking about the breath
And lengh of the cannals we as kids used to trapp along every week end to see what we could do ,
from one end of the cannals from old gas street basin to garlton bridge and beyond
one of my old friends of our gang was a kid called ronnie langford whom i have recently been in touch with and visited him
And i know ronnie is slightly older than me but he does not get out and about and he as know he will never have one
So if everybody would not mind me down loading all these pics to take to him and show him the the transformation of our old tramping grounds he will be shocked to see all that as changed to our old cannals
would anybody whom walks these cannal today meaning any member does any of the bridges bear the scars of the horse pulled barges as there strap markes scard those blue bricks as you walk over well embedded
i have quite afew old pics of the cannals which i will dig out later this evening
hope everybody as a nice day despite the weather Alan;;;;;

(........... does any of the bridges bear the scars of the horse pulled barges as there strap markes scard those blue bricks as you walk over well embedded)

All brick, stone and iron canal structures, such as bridgeholes and railings/handrails, unless rebuilt, retain evidence of scars/grooves from the old horse-drawn days..........

Haven't got that view in post #9 but this one from Sheepcote Street with the Library of Birmingham, Arena Birmingham and the Sealife Centre.

Some close ups of the bridges near what was the NIA. Can't say I've noticed any horse or rope marks on them. Have probably been refurbished over the years / repainted.

Oozells Loop Junction Bridge

Deep Cutting Junction Bridge

Seen from above.

The Warwick & Birmingham at Digbeth has seen change, including the rebuilding of the buildings on Warwick Wharf.

The rear of the former canal offices are seen on the left, whilst on the right were various wharf offices and the later two storey building, which suffered a fire after this picture was taken. Am I right in believing that Ted Walker made the Toga exhausts for motor bikes there?
711013.jpg

This is encouraging about the use of the old 1850s Canal Office buildings in Digbeth. I can’t see a date on the article but it looks fairly recent. Viv.

As the HS 2 development proceeds, thoughts must be also given to the plans of new buildings in the Ashted area, were made prior to the decision to make the hi speed line. There was the battle to keep Fred Groves canal cottage, which highlighted the historical aspects of the Ashted Locks and the BCN Digbeth Branch in total. This area is still being transformed, but in the older days the towpath was a hidden world where the Co-op Flour Mill overshadowed Ashted Tunnel.

633632.jpg

The same scene in 1977. Most of the buildings in the picture have since been demolished,

42193EA4-BC01-49B2-B92F-A776A356BFA8.jpeg

Brindley Place opened in 1994 on the site of old factories that had been derelict for many years.
The International Convention Centre on the opposite bank opened in 1991. Brindley Place is a lively mix of restaurants, bars, hotels, galleries and offices. In the 1970s the area was a sleazy walled cutting, often the haunt of the city's lowlife.

9EBBC059-0335-4063-B039-2E5A6C4A6314.jpeg

Urban waterways : a window on to the waterways of England's towns and cities by Pratt, Derek (2012)​

The view looking to Broad Street and the Church of the Messiah is one that changed over time. This section of the Birmingham Canal was built at the Paradise Street Branch and terminated at the Old Wharf.

It is a view that had changed with time. Built to the recommendations of the chief engineer, James Brindley, the towpath was originally on the left-hand side of the image shown. Later there was a turnover bridge to access the Bar Lock after that was built. Then came the wall on the Brasshouse side of the canal and the towpath on that side.

Back