• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The cane at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from having the cane and the sole of a pump our science teacher used many techniques of punishment. One day when the class were not paying attention he called us to the front and told us all to form a semi circle and hold hands. The two kids on the end had to hold a piece of brass tubes with wires on. We were all wondering what was happening until the teacher started to wind up the handle which sent an electric shock through us kids. He took great delight as we all danced on the spot. I don’t think it lasted more than a second or two though.
How ever did they get away with this sort of thing?
Today they would be in Gaol.

Same school Turves Green English teacher would throw his keys at you or walk between the desks and hit you on the head at the very top with the end of a large door key most painful.
My first year form master was nicknamed Hitler need I say more
Thankfully in the third year it was decided it was time for me to attend another school, hello Colmers Farm for the second time, where I was informed as soon as I reached leaving age I would in fact be leaving.
I had more than my fair share discipline at the hands of school teachers and was glad to be away from it, I did not fit in well at school
Oddly I loved and did well in college and through my journey in life I have enjoyed going in to a class room setting for training.
I changed my career and paid for school my self and went evening and weekends after work and loved it
I now hold a license here that's very difficult to obtain.
I must admit when ever I got the cane it never taught me a lesson, you can't beat common sense or good behavior in to folks at any age.
I once watched a teacher hit a boy so hard on the back of his head he went forward and broke his nose on the desk, blood everywhere this was in junior school and yes I remember the teachers name.
Many teachers were in the wrong profession and may have taken out their frustration out on pupils.
Thankfully there are many teachers who revel in their job and are wonderful and beating on children in school is a thing of the past.
Just to add a little more I do recall some of the children that came from homes that was not so well off seemed to get singled out, one young girl was made to sit in the corner, the teacher moved her desk there along with her chair.
Looking back on school not only was there bullying on the playground but there was bullying in the classroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a teacher at Ridpool Rd used to make you bend over and used the T square used for drawing lines on the board to punish us.OUCH

At primary school a very elderly female teacher used to rap us over the knuckles with a pencil, secondary school they were more into their punishments . One teacher would bend you over and holding the ruler side on he would proceed to chip your bottom as in slices , then another while you were sitting down would start to twist boys sideboards so eventually you were drawn off your seat with the tension . Personally I used to go out on a dinnertime when I should be having school meals I got found out six of the best on each hand , another ocassion I got caught smoking in the toilet , and another six on each hand. Strange thing is looking back I hold no bad feeling against any off the teachers , in my case it was the headmaster and his cane he was only showing me right from wrong and I think I respect him now for doing that . I think he's gone now but God Bless You for showing me the right way

Williamstreeter.God bless all those teachers who guided us the right way as youngsters .
Don't think today's teachers would be able to.To many different rules today

At primary school a very elderly female teacher used to rap us over the knuckles with a pencil, secondary school they were more into their punishments . One teacher would bend you over and holding the ruler side on he would proceed to chip your bottom as in slices , then another while you were sitting down would start to twist boys sideboards so eventually you were drawn off your seat with the tension . Personally I used to go out on a dinnertime when I should be having school meals I got found out six of the best on each hand , another ocassion I got caught smoking in the toilet , and another six on each hand. Strange thing is looking back I hold no bad feeling against any off the teachers , in my case it was the headmaster and his cane he was only showing me right from wrong and I think I respect him now for doing that . I think he's gone now but God Bless You Arthur for showing me the right way
thanks i did not mind if i done some thing bad. but some teachers abuse'd there authority a bit. with the old cane and pump.

I went to George Dixon Grammar from 1957 - 63. The deputy head was a gent of fearsome aspect. One look from his beady little eyes would quell a riot instantly. He was an extremely strict disciplinarian, but handed out the cane (the "cosh") very rarely. One day while larking about in the Hall, I was shoved into a framed picture, which fell to the floor and the glass shattered. Before I knew what was happening I was in his study, and he'd taken "Kitty The Cane" from its place on the wall. I had my hand held out in readiness, my eyes closed and my teeth gritted. Not a single word did he speak, until he suddenly told me to get out and never let myself be seen by him again. That, folks, was what you call The Fear Of God, and I never, ever, again put myself in a situation where I might once again see the inside of the Head’s study.

Not long after this episode, I realised I'd lost all my money somehow, and didn't have the bus-fare home from Edgbaston to Witton. The Head demanded to know why I was still hanging around the place at half-past four, so I told him. Without hesitation he gave me the money for my bus-fare, and you can bet I paid him back the next morning. Strict, but kind. They don't make 'em like him any more.

G
I remember him well. He was a fearsome character, but also kind, as you have mentioned. He took me to Selly Oak Hospital after I had received a sports injury.

At primary school back in the very old days, I upset the latin master, a florid faced man with an evil streak.
One warm and sunny afternoon while he was slashing at the black board with a piece of chalk, laying out the Imperfect tense of the verb Amo, my friend Stephen sitting behind me, tapped me on the back and passed me a note. Taking great care not to be seen, I open the folded piece of paper and read:
‘Latin is a language as dead as dead can be.
It killed the ancient Romans and now it’s killing me.’
Of course I laughed, was heard. He asked me what I was laughing at and naturally I told him "nothing." I was summoned to the front of the class and was made to "bend over." I leaned forward and felt a hand on my neck forcing me over until I was staring at my feet. There followed the rending air as his heavy rattan cane accelerated towards my backside. When it hit, a firework display appeared before my eyes and an explosion of pain shot through my whole body. Two more blinding slashes and I was sent back to my desk. I was told after class that ‘P J’ went easy on me, only giving me three hits with that awful instrument. Happy days.

Woah they wouldnt get away with punishments like that now would they? I dont like the sound of them at all , I didnt get caned at school but had detentions and lines over the 5 years I was at sheldon heath comp : unamused::rolleyes:
Back then the boys copped corporal punishment pretty bad - but when you mention lines I remember a younger teacher at the comp. teaching me how to hold 5 pencils in my hand/fingers at one time and then writing my lines out-which was 5 times faster than one at a time. Try it, it works.

When I started William Murdoch School (Rookery Rd) as an under 12 I got the cane twice, one on my hand because my writing was so bad (still is) and once in front of the school on my behind because I threw a stone and broke a gas light with my school uniform on! Not too clever but I figured it out :-(

I mentioned earlier about our science teacher giving us electric shocks, well another punishment he would dish out was on a vacuum machine. He would make you put the palm of your hand over the hole, 2” diameter then turn the handle. All your skin on your hand was sucked down leaving the guides protruding, it looked horrible but I can’t remember any pain. The horrors of going to school in Weoley Castle

At primary school back in the very old days, I upset the latin master, a florid faced man with an evil streak.
One warm and sunny afternoon while he was slashing at the black board with a piece of chalk, laying out the Imperfect tense of the verb Amo, my friend Stephen sitting behind me, tapped me on the back and passed me a note. Taking great care not to be seen, I open the folded piece of paper and read:
‘Latin is a language as dead as dead can be.
It killed the ancient Romans and now it’s killing me.’
Of course I laughed, was heard. He asked me what I was laughing at and naturally I told him "nothing." I was summoned to the front of the class and was made to "bend over." I leaned forward and felt a hand on my neck forcing me over until I was staring at my feet. There followed the rending air as his heavy rattan cane accelerated towards my backside. When it hit, a firework display appeared before my eyes and an explosion of pain shot through my whole body. Two more blinding slashes and I was sent back to my desk. I was told after class that ‘P J’ went easy on me, only giving me three hits with that awful instrument. Happy days.
Nice story telling, you would get an excellent from my old teacher.;) But seriously, they taught Latin at your school?:eek:

When I started William Murdoch School (Rookery Rd) as an under 12 I got the cane twice, one on my hand because my writing was so bad (still is) and once in front of the school on my behind because I threw a stone and broke a gas light with my school uniform on! Not too clever but I figured it out :-(
Well that make sense give a child the cane across a hand the very thing needed to hold a pen to write
Easier to lash out rather than mentor.
Good shot on the stone throw !!!.

i wish this forum had a spell checker. its. awkward i have to look on google before i post the above post is not checked first.

i wish this forum had a spell checker. its. awkward i have to look on google before i post the above post is not checked first.
Pete, i`m a bit dyslexic myself & i use a programme called Grammarly to keep me right. It comes as an add-on with Firefox ( the best browser imo )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back