• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The cane at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
When didnt I get the cane would be my answer. Our teachers were all nutters

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
yer me too. i would like to see him do it now.i would put his lights. out. thats a daft saying init. i would knock his block off:laughing:

just before i left school,the headmaster try'd,and i told him no way you tw*T. and was sent home. untill a week before i left.
school.nothing was said when i went back.:worried:i got a good leaving certificate.

Last edited:
just before i left school,the headmaster try'd,and i told him no way you tw**T. and was sent home. untill a week before i left.
school.nothing was said when i went back.:worried:i got a good leaving certificate.

If I, or indeed any fellow pupil, had said that to our old headmaster, the cane would have been the least of our worries!

it was not the first time,he had been warned by parents he was a bully he took pleasure.by inflicting pain.on male and female. pupils.

Sheldon Heath comp 1959 to 1964 never caned but Gym slippered naked in front of class of boys. I had just learnt to swim so decided to practice by plugging shower drains with towels and trying to swim. I can see Gym teacher now laughing at me but beckoning me and then saying bend over. Didn't really hurt but embarrasing
Here's an interesting deviation ( if that's the appropriate word with the subject under discussion ). A deviation ie. a different weapon used for punishment. Also at the Comp. Hated chemistry so hid in the toilets. Chemistry teacher hunted me down and invited me to stay after class to enjoy his particular variation on pupil punishment. He uncoupled the rubber tube from the bunsen burner, wound it round his hand and flogged me with what was left. Six on the backside. Didn't flinch though. Walked out and thought, still hate chemistry, still hate chemistry teacher and what a story to tell my mates.

Here's an interesting deviation ( if that's the appropriate word with the subject under discussion ). A deviation ie. a different weapon used for punishment. Also at the Comp. Hated chemistry so hid in the toilets. Chemistry teacher hunted me down and invited me to stay after class to enjoy his particular variation on pupil punishment. He uncoupled the rubber tube from the bunsen burner, wound it round his hand and flogged me with what was left. Six on the backside. Didn't flinch though. Walked out and thought, still hate chemistry, still hate chemistry teacher and what a story to tell my mates.
I've also had the bunsen burner tube punishment see my earlier poat #81 on this thread

I've also had the bunsen burner tube punishment see my earlier poat #81 on this thread
Woah they wouldnt get away with punishments like that now would they? I dont like the sound of them at all , I didnt get caned at school but had detentions and lines over the 5 years I was at sheldon heath comp : unamused::rolleyes:

I recall a math teacher at Turves Green Boys School had a size 17 pump (sneaker) that he used for punishment as you bent over his desk.
Harvey was the headmaster there a small man that took pride in giving the cane, he had a selection of them in his closet and you could hear them rattle as he selected one.
Had I done wrong ?, yes did I deserve to be taught a lesson on right and wrong yes, but I am not sure corporal punishment was the way.
The thought of some one hitting my child makes my blood boil, violence just does not seem a good way to teach.
I had the pleasure of holdings out my hands to receive a caning across my palms.

I recall a math teacher at Turves Green Boys School had a size 17 pump (sneaker) that he used for punishment as you bent over his desk.
Harvey was the headmaster there a small man that took pride in giving the cane, he had a selection of them in his closet and you could hear them rattle as he selected one.
Had I done wrong ?, yes did I deserve to be taught a lesson on right and wrong yes, but I am not sure corporal punishment was the way.
The thought of some one hitting my child makes my blood boil, violence just does not seem a good way to teach.
I had the pleasure of holdings out my hands to receive a caning across my palms.

good sensible post rob

thanks

lyn

At Highters Heath junior school, late 40s, only the headmaster could administer the cane. The teachers were allowed to slap us which they did to extremes. I was given a bloody nose by one woman teacher but did not dare to tell my parents how I had come by it. That was common assault, you can go to jail for it now.
Wheelers Lane school, everyone used the cane, I got it a lot, for trivial things like spelling mistakes. Bunch of sadists.
Tose were the days

I had the cane a couple of times at Gower St School. The one reason I most remember is the time I wrote on a piece of paper "Sabrina was in the bath so Frank Sinatra" and passed it to the kid next to me but unfortunately was seen by one teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the cane a couple of times at Gower St School. The one reason I most remember is the time I wrote on a piece of paper "Sabrina was in the bath so Frank Sinatra" and passed it to the kid next to me but unfortunately was seen by Mr Williams.

Hi Banjo,

Had both the cane & slipper on many occasions (we became very close friends at times). I along with two or three other lads had starring roles and were once caned in front of the entire school assembly by the Headmaster. I have to say that discipline never did us any harm as far as we were concerned you got what you asked for if you stepped out of line ha ha.

Lozellian.

Hi Banjo,

Had both the cane & slipper on many occasions (we became very close friends at times). I along with two or three other lads had starring roles and were once caned in front of the entire school assembly by the Headmaster. I have to say that discipline never did us any harm as far as we were concerned you got what you asked for if you stepped out of line ha ha.

Lozellian.
they gave up on me:joy:

4th of May 1965, probably the only day I was not caned/slippered/ smacked or rulered at one of the four schools I attended in Birmingham.
One day at Hartfield Crescent school whatever I had done was so bad the headmaster decided i was to be caned in front of the whole school. He used the cane to line up my hand swung the cane up and as he brought it down with full force I moved my hand away. The school fell about with laughter,including many of the teachers, I then faced extra strokes but by God it was worth it.
Hated school,and teachres,worst 10 years of my life.

Nodd the caned.:sob::sob:

Apart from having the cane and the sole of a pump our science teacher used many techniques of punishment. One day when the class were not paying attention he called us to the front and told us all to form a semi circle and hold hands. The two kids on the end had to hold a piece of brass tubes with wires on. We were all wondering what was happening until the teacher started to wind up the handle which sent an electric shock through us kids. He took great delight as we all danced on the spot. I don’t think it lasted more than a second or two though.

Apart from having the cane and the sole of a pump our science teacher used many techniques of punishment. One day when the class were not paying attention he called us to the front and told us all to form a semi circle and hold hands. The two kids on the end had to hold a piece of brass tubes with wires on. We were all wondering what was happening until the teacher started to wind up the handle which sent an electric shock through us kids. He took great delight as we all danced on the spot. I don’t think it lasted more than a second or two though.
ooo that was shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back