• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The cane at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
When didnt I get the cane would be my answer. Our teachers were all nutters

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Oh yes.

Moseley Modern School.. Those that displeased the teachers in the late 50's were sent to a maths teacher. He was a tall skinny man with an enormous completely bald pointed head. He had a nose that you coud ski down topped by eyes that were as black as coal. He seemed to enjoy his role as the punisher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes.

Moseley Modern School.. Those that displeased the teachers in the late 50's were sent to maths teacher. He was a tall skinny man with an enormous completely bald pointed head. He had a nose that you coud ski down topped by eyes that were as black as coal who seemed to enjoy his role as the punisher.

That`s a very descriptive picture you paint. I can picture that teacher standing over some terrified youth with cane in hand. Wouldn`t it be nice to gather together all those teacher bullies & put them in one room, each with a cane & instructions to give the teacher next to them, 6 of the best. Oh joy!

That`s a very descriptive picture you paint of that teacher. I can picture him standing over some terrified youth with cane in hand. Wouldn`t it be nice to gather together all those teacher bullies & put them in one room, each with a cane & instructions to give the teacher next to them, 6 of the best. Oh joy!

Now that's a great idea Smudger.

In my last year at Kingshurst we had a brilliant teacher called Mr Bellamy. He was always pulling one over on the headmistress Miss Caswell who was a bit of a dragon. When we went to Stratford on a school trip he got us to secrete the cricket kit about us as we marched off to the coach past her office window. She must have wondered why we had such straight arms as some of us had wickets up our sleeves. On the way back he got the coach driver to stop and we played a game of cricket before returning back to school. Every now and again he would call out the youngest lad in the class, make some excuse, put him across his lap and give him a beating with an old plimsoll, No-one actually questioned it, we were just glad it wasn't us and really admired Stephen because he never cried or got upset. I only realised recently that he never actually hit him but it certainly kept the rest of us in check.The sort of teacher I admire who put thought and effort in to his job.
Anne
My Wife went to Kingshurst junior and also remembers how Miss Caswell was feared, she doesn't remember Mr Bellamy so must have been a different time to you.

We used to queue up, about six of us. If one had to have the cane, we six went for it. The teacher was a gorgeous. It was worth it. George

I went to Briton Road School in Cov. We had several sadistic teachers. I used to rock on 2 legs of my chair at the back of the class. It slipped and cracked my head and saw stars, what brought mr round was the sight of the teacher’s boot trying to kick me as he went hysterical. My shcool mate said if he had kicked you one of us would have ran out and got help. My briefcase had saved me. Like other posters he split a lads nose with a board rubber. I got caned with a pump ofter for being the last to get canged at PE. I hated that sportsmanster and like Anne was not sorry when he died. He bullied me and others. One little lad was from up north and shpoke like thish and he bullied him for his accent. My form teacher the PE teacher caned you with tennis rackets, pumps, humiliated a little Irish girl, Pat, sayin she had the divill in her. Made her sit under the piano which was uncomfortable every lesson. Pat, under the pianio! she would bark. Pat did steal the teachers sixpense but like a lot of them she had nowt. I acually liked this teacher though as she was Ok with me.
Another sent me deaf for a few minutes with a ringing slap round the ears. She didn't believe me that I wasn't talking, till the teacher's pet stick up for me. I made a friend that day.
Was caned by a teacher who was in Love with the headmistress and they walked around arm in arm. She wore a rigid tweed suit had a red face and a moustache. She caned me for laughing, (I was always laughing, still am thank god) with the big board ruler. Was caned by “Ding Dong” for being late. 1 thwack with the ruler. I felt he didn't want to but it was protocol that he had too, was caned with the ruler for laughing (again) by Wooden Tits, who was allowed to can boys and girls but male teachers could not cane the girls???? Humiliated for no having the new uniform when the school changed, Parents couldn't afford it. Humiliated for having long hair. Got a slap for dissent (had to ask mum what that meant) for saying Jesus had long hair.
Brought out with the multitude to queue for the cane for having bright socks. They ran out of time and I escaped. One lad was humilated because he was effeminate. Mr Fawson used to shout eh Wendy where's yer handbag ? the Geography teacher was strict. He had 2 canes with old fashioned women's names, they were split different ways as to cause pain and draw blood or blood blisters,. Three lds were made to stand stooped on chairs with their noses on a chalk line on the board, when the discomfort made them straighten up they got a twitch from one of the canes. We had some nice teachers too. Is there a post for them?

Jeez Nico, I thought Slade Road secondary was bad, but your school sounds more like a stalag. But it`s good that you can still laugh, they didn`t take that from you.

I liked school! Would you believe Smudger. Till I was about 13 or 14. The teachers were very strict but there were some very nice ones too. I am in slight contact with 2 still. The infant teachers were lovely. The juniors mostly good but that is where we encountered one in particular. She only took us for Geography. The sports teacher who hated little Pat was my class teacher her main subject was PE. Pat had problems as a lot did of children did but Teachers were not trained in physcology then, some still are not now.
Seniors was a different kettle of fish. Very strict on uniform and discipline. We lost a good headmaster for a moron who was surrounded by sadistic 'minders' with the arrival of Comprehensiveness.
So I just switched off, tried not to get caught laughing, played their stupid game and left straight aftermy CSE's asap and in to work. Part of me wished I had stayed on and got some higher qualifications.
The pupils started fighting back though. One lad just lashed out (with the new Comprehensive edition of solid wood stools) knocking out our maths teacher. Felt for the teacher who was nice and the pupil with home problems.
I met one of the headmasters 'minders' later when my then boss was showing 'her dad' round the office. He saw me and turned a funny colour. She was nicer to me after that. Turns out the kids turned on him and he had a nervous breakdown. He was the nicer of the 3 minders whose heart was in the right place but hadn't got a clue when it came to adolescents. His Ging Gang Gooly Gooly sing along only aroused contempt and pity in us. Thankfully some teachers did have a clue. I must have been bottiing that up for some time Smudge! BHA - my analysts!

I too liked school Nico, especially when it was closed! I wasn`t an overly bright pupil but somehow managed to stay in the top forms thru senior school & thus we had the best teachers. One teacher, i think it was Mr Roberts had served in Burma in ww2 with the Gurkha`s & with some skillful manipulating by us pupils, we sometimes managed to get him off subject & tell us tales of his derring do against the Japs. One day he came in with a Kukri knife & tales of how the Gurkha`s would creep up on the enemy whilst they slept & slit their throats. He also did some "proper" teaching & taught us to sing "Oh come all ye faithful" in latin, & Silent night in German. Very useful. We didn`t have a problem with school uniforms because they were not compulsory. My uniform was drainpipe trousers & winkle pickers. We sometimes played cricket in the playground & one day i removed several teeth from a Mr Clegg who couldn`t hold my scorching on drive!

Anne
My Wife went to Kingshurst junior and also remembers how Miss Caswell was feared, she doesn't remember Mr Bellamy so must have been a different time to you.
Hi Nickcc101, I was there 1959 to 1963. Not a bad school when you consider that nearly everyone in our class passed the eleven plus and there were over 30 in the class. Anne

Hi Nickcc101, I was there 1959 to 1963. Not a bad school when you consider that nearly everyone in our class passed the eleven plus and there were over 30 in the class. Anne

You were lucky Anne we had poor quality Schools but even worse was the poor quality Teachers in most inner city schools.

We were taught Silent Night in French and would get Mr Rainbow of fsubject too one of the science masters.He was on our level as he made fun of all our names then hus own name. The teacher who made my ears ring taught us Greek Mythology which I likes and country dancing, a brilliant laugh. But I have posted this before about a big girl flashing her suspenders when dancing Caluddon. And the two lads who had to dance together. Hah! Crombies and Baratheas were forbidden, as were streaks, jewellery and half mast trousers showing bright socks, stockings and bright coloured shoes and stack heels and Bay City Roller pullovers.Even hair bobbles were banned.

Hello Anne

My Wife would have been there up to 62 so perhaps a year or two above you. Wish I could say that I had attained any Junior or Secondary School Qualifications, didn't help only staying for 3 years in the senior School and missing the 3rd year completely, still it worked out for the best in the end especially taking early retirement when I reached 50 :)

Regards
nick

l always enjoyed school...thank goodness l never had the unpleasant experience that some of you had....maybe it was because after infants and juniors l went to an all girls school that was Burlington St Sr Girls...always enjoyed the infants and juniors but really can'nt say l knew of any sadistic punishment, but there again we all had so much respect for our teachers or was it that our parents taught us about respect (different about some of todays parents). One teacher of the juniors scared me and also dolled out punishment via the board eraser BUT he was a good teacher, l remember some years ago my eldest boy came home from school crying and was so upset saying the principal at school had given him a few licks for something he had'nt done, so after a few phone calls and investigation my son was right, he had been mistaken for another boy, well the very next day that principal was shocked when a parent from" Aston B'ham England" visited wanting to know what was going on assuming my son was guilty without a proper investigation , l must have come on strong as my son had an apology in front of the whole school, the reason my son was picked out was he had a mop of white hair "cotton top" and only one other boy had the same colour he was the guilty culprit...you can step on me but not on my children....Brenda

Good for you, Brenda. Nick, your wife may have been there about the same time as my brother, will send you a PM about where we lived, Anne

I know they have no phsycology in schools still a I helped two former colleagues draft letters to the respective headmasters. One's son had attitude which reulted in him being physically restrained and the teachers knuckle duster of a ring which she wore for PE ripped part of his ear lobe off. The other was at a Catholic school where a teacher had it in for her son as they had proved and then this particular teacher went on to bare the lad a grudge. The 'case' went to arbitration and different levels like a legal complaint. My step daughter's stepdaughter.....was called a skank by a teacher who was reprimanded. I didn't know what that meant! Do you? His defence was that he had no way of issuing her with any deterrant

being as we live in a small town area maybe we have the advantage of getting to the root of the problem quicker, first question the teacher then the principal and if nothing is addressed to the problem within a short period of time its the schools administration which l have had to do a few times, some teachers should never have taken up the profession ,most are ok and as old as l am l still remember my teachers names, glad to say my boys 54 and 49 survived and have good memories to look back on.....as the years passed l was being a good nan and would pickup my g/children from school and got involved with school activities, but as they got into high school it was a different generation 90% were good but there always that 10% that makes it bad for everyone,... sitting in the car waiting to pick my g/children up one could just about the trouble makers.. but for all that thank goodness we do have teachers.....Brenda

I remember Mrs T an RE teacher, who was nice, giving this lad what she termed an old fashioned spanking. She went bright red all over, his arm was bright red too but he just laughed it off. He now runs his own business. The music teacher Mr H was getting on then and he had the roughest class and they were all boys, the non exam class who just wanted to leave but were not allowed to. They wrote obscenities all over the music books (which we loved) and the back of his upright piano. He was very strict but the more we got to know him the as we matured the more we grew to like him. I wonder whom he had offended to be in charge of that class every year. In the juniors a Mr G jumped on my mate's sceptic toe because he ran up the coke pile which was out of bounds, and he had to have his nail taken off. Fish Face, one of the dinner ladies picked another lad up by his hair for back chat so he managed to kick her shins. Another RE teacher, also nice, lost control with the Asian children. We had four in my class in the 60's and 70's, they were excused the Christian Faith lesson but as there was nowhere for them to go they stayed in the class but chattered in their own language. So Mrs R bawled at them and called them the now unmentionable word, (rhymes with dogs.) They threatened to report her but nothing came of it. It sounds terrible but these were just a few incidents across a 12 year period. We had 2 pupils expelled in that time, one was about 7 for setting the waste paper basket alight and the other aged 11 for an incident in the girls loos, he was a boy, plus one got pregnant and of course had to leave and one was on drugs. We have a school now with a mother and baby unit for underage mothers. How times change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back