• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The cane at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
School-canes-008.jpg
How's about this one for size?.

Had the cane a few times, first time for smoking even though i've never smoked, certainly added to the admiration I felt for the teachers and headmaster at beeches road school :(

My friend and i were caned on a regular basis at Golden Hillock Seniors due to an over zealous teacher who believed in silence is golden,kids seen not heard etc,never bothered me but a certain teacher saw me give a rude sign behind a teachers back and the punishment ,which was the cane was more embarrassing because i had to go to his classroom which my older brothert was sitting there grinning like a muppett at my misfortune albeit deserved

Hello Jean

That was a very interesting photo but I do not think the lady was handling a cane used at school. Have you any idea what it was actually.

Old Boy (Chris)

Chris I googled corporal punishment, cane and that came up. Will go back and try to find it again. Jean.

Canes sold in grocery stores, used by parents to discipline children at home Just found this one too.

This is where the cane came from. Imperial Cane & Strap Co.
unknown.gif
... child, it may be employed upon older children and adults with excellent effect, and, indeed, where an adult is subject to very occasional corporal punishment, a cane of ...
www.hardacre.screaming.net/punishments/imperial1.html - Cached Took a while to find it again. Jean.

Jean
I knew this would be a good subject.
Yes, I got caned on the hand - talking and not paying attention (nothing new there) at Grove Lane Junior School
Sue

Gower St via headmaster circa (1955 -60). I think it was because I had been really good or was that really bad, hmmm must get a memory.

I never had the cane, but graphically remember seeing 3 boys caned. I was 11 years old , first year of secondary school, the school hall had a stage, 1st years were right at the front below the stage. It was the time of the Cuban missile crisis, A special assembly was called - we thought it was to tell us that war had started. On to the stage came one teacher, the headmaster followed closely by 3 boys. I remember him saying that they had broken the windows, with a ball, in the commercial room ! He then caned them on their hands - very hard, and then booted them off the stage, literally kicking them. We were shaking with horror. One teacher always caned the boys and another gave the girls the strap. I loved my school days but they were horrible people. The peculiar part of who carried out the punishments were that she taught us " growing up" ( sex education as it was then) but that's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I WAS caned many times on the hands at Moseley School of Art, this was in the 1950s. Can't remember the teachers name, but he was a big chap and had great delight in doing it! John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA

I had the cane at Slade road school. I think it was for leaving school grounds at lunchtime ( if you stayed for school dinner you had to stay in school grounds ?) Also the headmaster (tall grey haired geezer) was a right bully. He used to knee you up the backside. I wish i had run into him when i was older & given him a taste of his own medicine, with interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheldon Heath comp 1959 to 1964 never caned but Gym slippered naked in front of class of boys. I had just learnt to swim so decided to practice by plugging shower drains with towels and trying to swim. I can see Gym teacher now laughing at me but beckoning me and then saying bend over. Didn't really hurt but embarrasing

Bishop Challoners on the late 50s early 60s had a wide range of inflicting pain to name a few, cane, pump, board ruler, board rubber, ruler and a slap of the hand. Both boys and girls were treated with the same punishments the Head Master had a punishment book but none of the punishments that were dealt out by teacher were ever recorded. If you did something really bad you were caned in front of the whole school

Kingshurst Junior School. We were learning to write with dippy in pens and needless to say, got ink on our fingers as they weren't much better than quills. Later that day, we went to another teacher Miss Woodward for a different lesson. I was absentmindedly running my finger around the rim of the inkwell on the desk. I suddenly heard a squeaky voice announce "Please Miss Anne is dipping her fingers in the inkwell. Next thing, no time to explain, hold your hand out and a ruler down the length of my two fingers, hurt like mad and I was only 8 - 9 years old. I blame her for my arthritis. I hated her and didn't care too much when told she had died from cancer during the summer holidays. Fortunately, at Coleshill Grammar only boys were caned, otherwise it would have been me on a regular basis.

I had what I would call a tap on the out-stetched hand by a teacher who I now realize was too timid to bring down his 9inch cane on to anyones hand . To him I expect, even in 1944, this action was Draconian. On the otherhand at my junior school , one teacher celebrated his talents with a 2inch leather belt. During a lesson he would chalk in on the left hand side of the blackboard those he considered were worthy of receiving a good strapping. At the end of the lesson the nominated formed a straight line infront of the class with the offender offering an outstretched hand so that when the teacher gave the "dose" those on receipt lowered their hand enabling the teacher to attack the next in line, Depending on the mood of the teacher he would go up and down each side of the line two or three times. In the same class there was a student teacher, he delighted in giving 4 strokes of the cane for the slightest transgression. To this day I am still seething at him giving me 4 strokes when I was not even talking. The gym teacher ,at the same school, was very keen on giving a good smack on the back side with a plimsole.

In my last year at Kingshurst we had a brilliant teacher called Mr Bellamy. He was always pulling one over on the headmistress Miss Caswell who was a bit of a dragon. When we went to Stratford on a school trip he got us to secrete the cricket kit about us as we marched off to the coach past her office window. She must have wondered why we had such straight arms as some of us had wickets up our sleeves. On the way back he got the coach driver to stop and we played a game of cricket before returning back to school. Every now and again he would call out the youngest lad in the class, make some excuse, put him across his lap and give him a beating with an old plimsoll, No-one actually questioned it, we were just glad it wasn't us and really admired Stephen because he never cried or got upset. I only realised recently that he never actually hit him but it certainly kept the rest of us in check.The sort of teacher I admire who put thought and effort in to his job.

Sue wondered if any one received the cane at school or did you know of someone who did?. Jean.
Sadly, yes, on a regular basis. Six of the best was the worst because you couldn't do any writing which was still to be completed. We used to put our hands on the pipes, if they were cold, to help take the sting out of our hands. It didn't help much but better than nothing. One teacher even had a basket full of canes and we were allowed to choose which one we wanted. I always chose a fairly thick one because it seemed to hurt less but my mate reckoned it didn't make any difference. One of the main problems was you couldn't go home and complain to our parents because we'd get a clip across the ear for getting the cane in the first place. What is now called a lose lose situation. All we could do was shut our gobs and plan revenge. Kind regards, David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back