• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Camp

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I was working in the area (Kings Norton) when I took these pictures, and I must admit I never knew about this pub. Never heard anyone talk about it either.

Terry

I have never heard of it either hanco but then I don't know all the pubs. It looks lovely. At the moment, according to one of the pub web sites it is temporarily closed for refurbishment. There is a new owner who took over late last year.

A revue on Beerintheevening reports it now open and serves chip butties, The address is Camp Road. Never visited it so cannot give any personal view on the place.

I used to drink in here in the late '70s (it was the closest pub to my school) and have many happy memories of the place. I remember they used to serve great chip butties even then.

Isn't that the pub down the road from Triplex Safety Glass, where I worked 40-odd years ago?

Big Gee

It has featured on the forum before Terry,but under it's original name I think it was the Railway Tavern...but always known as "The Camp".
Nice photo.though,It looks better than I remember it from c1960:)

Ray this is all I can find on the Forum but haven't looked at the 600 + posts:D

Had a search but can't find anymore on the Camp only a Pub sign:)

Attachments

• camp kings norton.jpg
    camp kings norton.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9
Nice little pub, corner of Ardath Road and Camp Lane, used it a few times when I worked at Arden Signs just up the top of Ardath Road by the footbridge to the station.

Attachments

• Kings Norton Camp Camp Lane.JPG
    Kings Norton Camp Camp Lane.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 21
G'day Alf,
It was under the thread "The Station Pub".Phil (pmc 1947) said it's correct name was "The New Station Inn",I only ever knew it as "The Camp".It was an Ansells house,that is the bit I am sure about.:):):)

G'day Alf,
It was under the thread "The Station Pub".Phil (pmc 1947) said it's correct name was "The New Station Inn",I only ever knew it as "The Camp".

Did I say that, then I was quite wrong. It wasn't the correct name, it was the name for a good period of its lifetime. I think the name must have changed to The Camp sometime between the 1950's and 1962. When I worked on the site of the new Triplex building around 61-62 I think it was called the camp then. I went to a wedding reception there in 1972 it was certainly called the Camp then.

Phil

Thank you Lads is it still there, its a nice building like the Pub at Billesley Common?

Last edited:
The camp pub
over the road is an allotment,s in the 1600;s it was a camp right by the river rea
look up history of king,s norton

Nice little pub, corner of Ardath Road and Camp Lane, used it a few times when I worked at Arden Signs just up the top of Ardath Road by the footbridge to the station.

Mine and my pals haunt on Monday nights in the 60's, still seems to be going strong today.John your geography is a bit mixed up, the Camp is on the corner of Station Road and Camp Lane not Ardath Road. Ardath Rd runs alongside Birmingham - Worcester canal and off Wharf Road/Parsons Hill.Kings Norton brick works were at the end of Ardath rd. in the 50's-60's and there was some large clay pits there, now just a huge concrete slab where cars from BMC factories were stored. I think the hauliers were Toleman's, two tone blue transporters.;)

I recognise that pub used to go there in the 60/70s with my now husband and friends,near a railway station,Cotteridge way it was ok there quiet busy as i recall

I asked this question in January see Post #14 still no answer.

I think this is the pub that was used on the Danny Kelly show WM about six months ago. Will try and find out as he said the food was excellent so was the hospitality. Jean.

I remember the Camp, always used to remind me of Camp coffee ...
Does any one also recall a small cafe with pinball machines almost opposite the Camp pub im backin the early 60's, a couple ran it and I dated their daughter for a while before she went of to join the Wrens.

hi folks I worked at the Camp the managers were MR Walter ( Wally ) Lucas and his great wife Doreen who developed the then famous Chip Butties and almost all folks who came want one it had a great atmosphere which was enjoyed by all,yes I'm told its got new manager now and runs music nights keep going its a great pub

I used to drink in here in the late '70s (it was the closest pub to my school) and have many happy memories of the place. I remember they used to serve great chip butties even then.
Yes they were the best chip butties around made by Doreen Lucas her husband was Walter ( Wally )I worked behind the bar there the old chap who used collect glasses was called Kipper he used to sleep in the pub I have great memories being there the atmosphere was great I don't live in brum now we moved to Somerset where we retired to hope this helps

Back