• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bulls Head Stechford

Yes thanks Lyn I used it. The problem is, as Janice said earlier, the road changes make it difficult to be exact as regards the pubs. Part of the old Station Road still exists (the point from where the image below is taken) and two blocks of Victorian houses still exist. So I’ve used them as reference points in this image, the red dots and yellow dots show those two groups of houses in relation to Janice’s 1916 map. Viv.

83F8F8AC-0089-4273-A51F-9F1B280C0455.jpeg

A few more details of the history of the original Bulls Head.

An early licensee was Mary/Maria Rowley. On 7/9/1860 she was charged with keeping the Bulls Head Stechford open after 12 o’clock (from the Coventry Standard). The licence passed to George Joseph Rowley (announced in Aris’s Gazette 4/3/1876).

25/6/1867 a 6ft wagon was on sale naming the Bulls Head, Stechford as the place of contact.

I think both of the photos from Rob and Lyn in posts #13 and #17 were taken at the same time, just at a different angle. Look at the position of Harding’s cart and Waldron’s cart, they’re in the same position.

I also wonder if the Bulls Head was formerly two houses. It has two identical entrances which look more like domestic premises to me, but could be wrong. In 1878 the auction details said it had been modernised/rebuilt in part one year before (1877). The second paragraph in the notice below states: “The buildings have been modernised and in great measure rebuilt within the last twelve months”

CC95977E-F641-440C-8B1B-6FE9424C8570.jpeg

Viv.

Last edited:
Wonderful Rob. That shows how sprawling the (second) pub site was. The area immediately to the right of the pub up to the hedge/tree (and in modern times probably concreted over), is where the original pub stood, some of which might have continued under the newer pub. The square area at the rear was once the bowling green (from at least 1915), but was obviously turned over to a car park in more modern times.

The field next to it (right) seems never to have been built upon, well at least not until now.

Viv.

Thanks Robert. Be interesting to see if the workers on that massive development on that side of the side respect the preservation order. Do you know if are there special species of tree there? Or is it ancient ? Looks like a hedgerow and particular tree preservation. Viv.

Former Bulls Head Allotments
No. on Map Description Situation T1-Maple, T2-Sycamore, T3-T5- Silver Birch, T6--Maple, T7-Laburnum, T8 - Hawthorn As indicated on the plan

http://property.birmingham.gov.uk/w...guidelines-Bulls-Head-Allotments-Jan-2015.pdf

Thanks for that link Rob. Interesting.

There are lime trees that are to be kept (excellent!) and others can be removed if they’re replaced within the development. Well that’s something I suppose.

Interesting that an archaeological survey was recommended - a mention is made to a possible medieval settlement on the allotments. Don’t know if this was done though. Might be interesting to see any evidence/reports produced if only to put the pub into the context of its later place in what could have been a hamlet/Stechford Village rising from here perhaps ?

It also recommended the approval of two roundabouts - no wonder it’s been less easy to precisely place the pub.

Viv.

Post 22 has maps through the years.

Hello,

Anyone know when the pub was demolished please?

KH
The Manor House was situated on Station Road. The original pub was called The Bulls Head and was demolished and re-built. The pub was re-named the Manor House, extended during the 20th century and demolished for a road improvement scheme in 2016. New houses were built on the site.
Source: Philip Charlton

Thanks

Just what I wanted.

I have a photograph of a family wedding in the grounds of The Bulls Head in 1941. Would this have been before it was rebuilt as The Manor House?

KH

Hi,

I remember the Bulls Head from the 1950s, and into the early 60s.
I think it was renamed rather than rebuilt after that.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I remember the Bulls Head from the 1950s, and into the early 60s.
I think it was renamed rather than rebuilt after that.

Kind regards
Dave
Dave,
I think (and I am not sure) as I only went to the Manor House in the late 70’s on a Thursday when it became a fashionable venue at the time.

I think the term rebuilt at that time may be confused with refurbished s there were some internal works we’re carried out the bar in the large lounge (reconfigured ), and some internal reconstruction of walls, access doors , etc.

Again that makes me think that they are 2 different pubs. The Bulls Head in the maps is not close to the railway station.

And if you look at the photo in post #13 the pub appears to be next to the bridge over the railway at the top of the hill. The station would be to the right beyond the bridge.

Also the name J Waring Bulls Head seems odd, as if it distinguishes it from another Bulls Head.

?
me also i dont think pics #13 #17 was the manor/bull, may be wrong though

see also

Dave,
I think (and I am not sure) as I only went to the Manor House in the late 70’s on a Thursday when it became a fashionable venue at the time.

I think the term rebuilt at that time may be confused with refurbished s there were some internal works we’re carried out the bar in the large lounge (reconfigured ), and some internal reconstruction of walls, access doors , etc.

Hi,

Yes, that ties in with my memory of it from when I lived in Stechford. I used to get off the 14 bus by the Bulls Head
on my way home from work in the early 60s, and pop in for a quick one.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Yes, that ties in with my memory of it from when I lived in Stechford. I used to get off the 14 bus by the Bulls Head
on my way home from work in the early 60s, and pop in for a quick one.

Kind regards
Dave
We use to play cricket at Stechford road on a Thursday , and similar to you we would drop in there for a few quick ones , the tragedy now is locals are disappearing along with sports grounds, very sad times
K R covroad

Back