• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bulls Head Stechford

I can now see the part of the pub at the back in post #16 matches #1 and #12 and some aspects of #15 match the others. So as you say, redevelopment (and considerable in places) over time must be the answer.

On the old Bull #13 and #17 absolutely no idea !! Can we get hold of an earlier Stechford map (pre Janice’s 1904) anyone please ? Was this pub near the railway station ? Viv.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't see any buildings on any maps where I thought the other pub might be.

I was just looking at Mike’s 1887 map and the black square beneath Smithy. Is that the old Bull #13 and #17 ? The PH seems to be beneath it or is it referring to the buildings across the road (seems a bit inaccurate if it is) ? Whereas Lyn’s map link makes it clear it’s a smithy. Confused even more now. Don’t take much though. Viv.

Sorry I think maybe I've been confused by the two walls either side of the road in post #13, thinking it was a bridge.

I think you can match the buildings in the pictures in post #13 & #17 with Janice's first map in post #22. So it is probably the original pub that was rebuilt.

So can we now find a location for #1, #12, #15 and #16. An actual, specific address anywhere ? Viv.

The latest reference in newspapers I can find to the Bulls Head, Station Road, Stechford is a speeding fine to George Garfield of the “Bulls Head”, Station Road, Stechford posted in the Coventry Herald dated 18/8/1933.

In post 1 it is referred to as the "Manor House" and is listed as such in 1983 phone book - B33 is Stechford. Trying to track back to see when it changed.
1612027495803.png

Looks very much like the pub in #16 and #17 to me too Rob. That is with all the different buildings attached to it.

For info. There was a Manor House pub/restaurant in Station Road, Stechford in 1979, 1989 and 1999. Viv.

So when did it change its name from the Bulls Head, Station Road,Stechford to the Manor House, Station Road, Stechford ? Viv.

Looks very much like the pub in #16 and #17 to me too Rob. That is with all the different buildings attached to it.

For info. There was a Manor House pub/restaurant in Station Road in 1979, 1989 and 1999. Viv.

photo of that one dated 1980 so a change of name

Stechford Manor PH Station Rd 1980 .jpg

An advert from 1989, with address and phone number. I’ll have the steak and chips please at £2.95! Viv.

Attachments

• 30B7962A-47D5-4EFE-B3F4-B67471B02C84.jpeg
    30B7962A-47D5-4EFE-B3F4-B67471B02C84.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9
The last newspaper reference I can find to the Bulls Head Stechford is dated 17/10/1963 (B’ham Daily Post) when there was a car accident after a group of people left a “twist dance” at the Bull. Sadly 3 people died.

Viv.

Just trawled the Sports Argus for references to the Bulls Head Stechford as they had a number of sports teams attached and found this as the last reference. It’s a snippet about angling and the River Cole in 1974. So I think, using Janice’s dates in post #55, we can probably pin the name change from the “Bulls Head” to the “Manor House” down to 1974/5. Viv.

24D0D946-A233-4049-8540-EB2A40E95EA8.jpeg

I’ve looked again at all the maps. And this is my take on it all.

Mike’s map identified the Bulls Head on his map in post #40. Janice’s maps (from post #22) reposted below show the plot in 1904 and 1938. I’ve marked on Janice’s 1938 map (in red) where I think the original Bulls Head was positioned (ie the pub shown in Rob’s photo in post #13 and Lyn’s photo post #17).

This was empty space by 1938 according to the map. So by 1938 the original Bulls Head had been demolished and the newer Bulls Head had been built in a position alongside the old one, but a little further north-west of the original pub, leaving an open space where the old pub had been. This probably happened in the 1920s/30s judging by the style of the pub. The new pub was aligned with the bowling green behind the pub.

And we now know that the Bulls Head changed its name to the Manor House around 1974ish, Viv.

These maps have been reposted here for ease of reference, originally in Janice’s earlier post #22.
2AAEEDA2-0463-4F99-8D0A-550489381586.jpeg

Janice’s original maps without marks.
C43EA0C0-ECD6-4720-98D2-D04D4F81B90B.jpeg

Last edited:
Been really difficult to pinpoint, but I think the Bulls Head/Manor House would have been in this view. To the left was the Smithy (now Egertons and a Shell petrol garage - just past Albert Street) and somewhere over to the right was the Bulls Head/Manor House pub. Viv.

14E52E2B-8B6F-4262-AEF1-0E4BA46D4112.jpeg

Last edited:
Back