• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bulls Head Stechford

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
The Bulls Head Stechford also known as the Manor House. Where I had my wedding reception.

Attachments

• Stechford Station Rd Bulls Head.jpg
    Stechford Station Rd Bulls Head.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 64
A couple more photos of the Bulls Head.

Phil

BullsHead2.jpg
BullsHead1.jpg

thanks phil....well i guess that answers my question then...wonder if thats frothy walking past in protest....another one bites the dust..:(

thanks phil....well i guess that answers my question then...wonder if thats frothy walking past in protest....another one bites the dust..:(

It's been gone a few years now, but I think that sign is still there? Would go nice with my Reservoir pub sign.

It's been gone a few years now, but I think that sign is still there? Would go nice with my Reservoir pub sign.

would be nice for you to own that one froth..ive go me eye on a swinging pub sign...pub is now closed and will be turned into something else...keep passing by to see if the owner are about to ask them for it but no luck so far...

Frothy

I suppose the sign will be utilised for whatever new building that is put there. Like this one at the Warstock was. As they don't use the original sign, it might be worth making an enquiry.

Phil

TheWarstockSign.jpg

Densell
I regret to tell you that Phil is no longer with us, passing away earlier this year

The rebuild couldn’t be more different Rob. Must have been a thriving pub to rebuild on that scale. Maybe #12 was just after rebuild - 1930s perhaps ? Viv.

Would it have moved position as well with the rebuild?

It appears to be on the wrong side of the road or bridge in post #13.

Interestingly John Waring publican in 1911 was listed as being in the building trade in 1901. Maybe he rebuilt it himself?

guess it could have moved a tad but looking at the photos on post 13 and 15 they both seem to show a road going down and one to the right but direction was never my strong point

ly

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Assuming it went ahead on this 1911 planning application
the building was rebuilt at a position “set back” 35 yards from the road to accommodate City of Birmingham road improvements. By doing so it revealed more of the houses between the tree and pub in post #13.

Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

Attachments

• 36A01A32-E184-4465-AF1C-45FC96C55E83.jpeg
    36A01A32-E184-4465-AF1C-45FC96C55E83.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
This later 1916 application shows just how popular the Bull was. And other press cuttings show there were many clubs and societies over time who held meetings at the pub. However the shelter for children wasn’t allowed. (Source: British Newspaper Archive).Viv.

Attachments

• 99D03038-712C-488E-BDCF-D56304DF154B.jpeg
    99D03038-712C-488E-BDCF-D56304DF154B.jpeg
    651.7 KB · Views: 4
Think it might be the roads that have moved - even in my memory of that area the roads have been widened and re-routed. Now changed beyond all recognition.

The pub was rebuilt 35 yards further back from the original frontage. So a substantial part of the old pub ended up under the road. The road would have run through the middle of the pub !

I think it would have been a fairly significant change to the pub position. Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere the #11 bus turned around here, but could have got that wrong. One thing’s for certain, it must have become a pretty busy junction

For info about the original pub, here’s an auction notice. Viv.

3251BD2C-4E85-4AEF-921D-B4C70D51E071.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive.

Last edited:
Again that makes me think that they are 2 different pubs. The Bulls Head in the maps is not close to the railway station.

And if you look at the photo in post #13 the pub appears to be next to the bridge over the railway at the top of the hill. The station would be to the right beyond the bridge.

Also the name J Waring Bulls Head seems odd, as if it distinguishes it from another Bulls Head.

?

I agree MWS. The various photos of the later pub on this thread just don’t match up. For example the first photo in post #one (albeit a replacement) had another name “The Manor House”. I wonder if they had other names to distinguish one from the other - that is if they were both in Stechford.

The Bull/Railway Inn must presumably be the one on Station Road and that on Janice’s post #22. So where would the other Bull be ? Viv.

Matching the later pubs together we have this #1 and #12 match and #15 and #16 match. So are 1 & 12 different pubs to 15 and 16 ? And which of them was on Station Road Stechford? Maybe some one with local knowledge can tell us. Viv.

D0666FFE-AFD3-4665-9D86-6659A7ED5FE2.jpeg

124BD1AF-B114-4396-A4A3-60A040A416A1.jpeg#1and

I think they are all the same pub at various times and from various angles. I think I'm right that the Bulls Head changed its name to the Manor House. This being the one at the bottom of Station Road on the left after you go over the River Cole before Flaxley Road.

It's the pub in post #13 & #17 that is different. This one still being on Station Road but at the top of the hill just before you go over the railway bridge.

Back