• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bull, Price Street Table

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..just before christmas rose the landlady of the bull pub in price st very kindly gave me an unwanted cast iron pub table...to say i was delighted is an understatement..it was in need of some TLC after being left outside for a few years so i have done my best..its now safely stored in a dry place and i will be bringing it into the garden when the weather picks up...if you do read this rose once again thank you so much..i am made up..here are a few pics taken before i started on it and then the finished product...nearly forgot to say its made by james yates of birmingham..

pubtable003.jpg

table005.jpg

table004.jpg

table001.jpg

thanks topsy..just couldnt let a good piece of brum history go to waste...cant wait to give it a trial run lol.

That looks lovely Lyn - well done for making it look so good. I am sure it will get a lot of use once the good weather is here.

Looks great Lyn, but you realise everyone will exoect you to produce it at the next meet....................................complete with the finishing touches of course lol
Its good that a piece of history is still around, bet it could tell a few stories!
Sue

Beautiful Lyn. I bet it weighs a ton. You've got a lovely shine on that top, amazed that you've been able to get it looking so good after being outside for a long time. Viv.

Grand job Lyn. We were given a cast iron one from the Harbor last year with the lions heads on. I painted it but it is no where near as good as your's. Keep it at the van. Jean.

thats unusual with lions heads on jean how nice...

viv i cant get over how heavy it is..takes two to lift it and then its a struggle..

sue depending on how long its been in the bull there is a very chance me gt gt grandad has slide under it a few times as he lived in loveday st lol....

Looks great Lyn - well done and Linda is ever so slightly jealous;)

It may be older than you think (or not) in the 1888 directory there is a
Yates James, pewter & plumbers, brass founder, manufacturer of every description of beer pulls & machines, bar fittings, measures &c 39 @ 40 Coleshill St,

yes thanks horsencart...i believe that james yates was taken over by gaskill and chambers

lyn

Excellent job you have made of that Lyn,give yourself a pat on the back.
I sat at one of them tables once in an Australian pub,and worked into the lower part it said "made in Park Road Aston Birmingham"...

Lyn,
About 40 years ago,whenever they demolished an old pub an enterprising Brummy was buying them all up.Apparently he sliced the round ones into three,each having a leg attached,and sold the pieces for £50 each in America.:adoration:

A nice advert for Yates & Greenaway from 1900.

yates.JPG

Looking at the company I can find them back to 1878 as James Yates and then Yates & Greenaway until they are taken over by Gaskell & Chambers in 1902. It seems to have been involved with brass, silver and pewter rather than cast iron, so could it be that the table was made for them rather than by them.

Colin

nice advert col..i would think the table is at least 100 years old then..that will do me...

ray we have had a few bit of the white stuff here but its stopped now..

thanks suzanne i really enjoyed working on it....hey charlie..not a chance of seeing it on fleabay lol.

Back