• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Buildings of Birmingham, Past and Present (Second Series)

great chris...now where was st martins lane and what is that unusual structure on the right ..maybe part of the church...

lyn
I think it was the wall of the churchyard, getting higher the more bodies were buried in there. I read somewhere about the Birmingham churches being buried by the people, rather than the other way round!

Looking at the examples given in Pedrocut's link, it wouls seem that all the images refer to around the mid 1810s or earlier. In particular Phipsons Metal warehouse was in New St in Wrightsons 1815 directory, but had moved to Upper Temple St by the time of the 1818 edition
I wonder whether the Phipsons Metal warehouse is anything to do with Phipsons Pin Manufacturing in Broad Street. My 3x great grandfather was a manager there and in 1848 reported to an enquiry about the employment of children. I unearthed it on the internet some years ago. It made fascinating reading!

I wonder whether the Phipsons Metal warehouse is anything to do with Phipsons Pin Manufacturing in Broad Street. My 3x great grandfather was a manager there and in 1848 reported to an enquiry about the employment of children. I unearthed it on the internet some years ago. It made fascinating reading!
sasha with a name like phipsons i would say there could be a good chance..maybe someone on here could find out for you

lyn

I think it was the wall of the churchyard, getting higher the more bodies were buried in there. I read somewhere about the Birmingham churches being buried by the people, rather than the other way round!
You are absolutely spot on there. Churchyard ground levels did indeed grow higher due to the burials. When you think that there are eighty thousand people buried in St Phillips alone, you can see why it have a small retaining wall

It is not clear. In 1815 there is Phipson, J.W. Cheadle Company warehouse and dealer in metals in New St. There is also Thomas Phipson, pinmaker , also in New St. It would seem possible that there was some connection at that time. The 1823 directory lists J.W.Phipson at 123 New St, and Thomas , imperial pin maker, also in New ST, but no number given. By 1833 Josh.W.Phipson & Co is grinding, polishing, and rolling mill, and platers and plated metals, wire, &c.manufrs. and dealers, 39, Paradise-st. and Thomas Phipson & Sons are imperial pin makers in Broad st. So it looks like they were separate , though possibly with some family connection

Last edited:
Back