• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Buildings of Birmingham, Past and Present (Second Series)

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Buildings of Birmingham, Past and Present (Second Series), printed and published by Thomas Underwood, Castle Street, High Street, Birmingham (believed 1870).

A copy of this has recently come into my temporary possession. I am wondering if this is a publication well known amongst Birmingham historians. It contains some nice etchings dating from the early 19th century of notable (and some not so notable) Birmingham buildings and streets, about 23 in all. If they are likely to be of interest to members I'll scan and post them in this thread. Could you give me some indication please?

Chris

TheBuildingsofBirmingham002.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for positive comment and also, Pedrocut, for the interesting link. The latter contains some of these sketches and some additional ones and omits others. So I'll just bash on and post what I have gradually, bit by bit. Some of them are probably familiar.

The first two to start with.

Chris

Looking at the examples given in Pedrocut's link, it wouls seem that all the images refer to around the mid 1810s or earlier. In particular Phipsons Metal warehouse was in New St in Wrightsons 1815 directory, but had moved to Upper Temple St by the time of the 1818 edition

I think this publication appeared in 1869/1870 and it seems to have reproduced sketches dating back to between the early 1800s and the (to it) most recent past, the 1860s.

Chris

Back