• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The building of Lucas Great King Street 1889

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cracking photo here showing the start of the building of lucas gt king st dated 1889

Attachments

• From Birmingham Scrapbook Vol 1.jpg
    From Birmingham Scrapbook Vol 1.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Having worked there for a couple of years before I moved south, it's nice to see a very early picture of the project, Lyn. At least it gave a gang of men some work for a year or so, but a shame to see it go when it did.

Maurice

unfortunately maurice i also have photos of the demo of gks....so sad to see such an iconic building raised to the ground a hundred years later

Lucas's may have bought that land or some of it from my ancestors who had a livery stables at the corner of Great King Street and Farm Street - William Cain Jones and Abel Jones had a dairy firm that they eventually sold out to Cattell dairies but at the time of the sale of the land I think they ran their own business, although can't be sure. They lived at 106 Farm Street.

Rob
Up to 1912, Kellys lists no 106 as a milk dealer, Mrs Elizabeth Mallin. the number is not listed after this. The 1912 directory would refer to a survey in 1911. The electoral rolls list Lizzie Malin there in 1912

Last edited:
Yep thats it 106 Farm Street was where they lived. Jones family, Cain and Abel ran the business the former married in 1908 and was listed as a milk dealer, mother Emma Louisa worked in the shop. Is Mrs Elizabeth Mallin who they would have rented the house from?

the 1911 census lists William Feakes (I think its Feakes, the F is very ornate) at no 106, a weighing machine ornamenter. His wife Harriett Feakes is listed as a milk shopkeeper

Yes Annie Rebecca Feakes married William Cain Jones who was the milk dealer - on the marriage cert William is her father and an ornamator

Both Cain and Abel are living in surrounding streets Bridge Street West and New John Street in 1911 - the Jones family headed by Thomas Jones had lived at 106 Farm Street but the father is now living with his son and wife. Louisa the wife of Thomas died in 1908 and she was listed as a milk shop keeper in 1901 so looks like the Feakes family had taken this over by 1911 but Cain and Abel are still running the business. Was a shop linked to 106 Farm Street I wonder.

Elizabeth Feakes is listed in the 1910 editions. The 1897 to 1908 editions list Cain Jones at 106

Afraid I don't know the date of this photo, but assume it's around the time of the image in post #1. Viv.

image.jpeg

I think the GK block in the above picture would have been built around the 1930’s but I stand to be corrected.

what a great photo two...my dad was working there then in one of the 2 security boxes and my aunt was working inside the factory...thank you

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Back