• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Brummie for Lunch?

Has anyone heard of the use of the word "Doss" to refer to bread and dripping, when i worked as a pewtersmith in the 60s off Broad st ,we would send a poor girl from the packing room to the sandwich shop to get our Doss, the poor wench was given the name of Susie Doss.
Maybe it was just made up word by the blokes, derived from Dosser , but i have often wondered if it was used elsewhere . Max

Our mom used to give us a piece of dip, just placed the bread over the fat after cooking bacon or sausages.

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that if you ask for a bacon, or sausage sandwich in a greasy spoon or from a van anywhere else but in Brum, they put butter on the bread, but in Brum they usually dont.

I cant stand even the idea of buttered bread with fried food.

Long time ago, for me anyway. But wasnt lunch your toast, or bread and dripping or whatever that you had at/just before morning playtime, with your 1/3 pint of Pasteurised ?

I say wasnt it, but to me the day still goes, breakfast-dinner-tea.

I spose you can take the kid out of Small Heath, but you cant take Small Heath out of the kid eh ...........

This Small Heathen went to a posh grammar school - we had 'recess' !!

Actually - now I come to think of it - I've a vague memory that they did call morning playtime 'lunchtime' at St Benedicts Road Primary school. But that's a loooooooooong time ago!

Dear All,

That was a very fine bottle I took the cap off! A real education for an outsider in how real life was. It looks like 'dinner' wins by a short head, though 'cog-noggers' gets an honourable mention. Whatever you're eating next, enjoy it. Thanks all round

Graham

'High Tea' meant a proper, full-meal....as oposed to 'afternoon tea' .. but eaten earlier, around five-thirty to six, replacing 'dinner' at seven or eight etc. It was for families with children; a Victorian construct (probably?) and had nothing to do with 'Aristo's'. Regardless of what you call it, 'High Tea' is what we all mostly have.

Now if you will exuse me, I'm just away to dress for dinner
icon6.png

Our mom used to give us a piece of dip, just placed the bread over the fat after cooking bacon or sausages.

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that if you ask for a bacon, or sausage sandwich in a greasy spoon or from a van anywhere else but in Brum, they put butter on the bread, but in Brum they usually don't.

I cant stand even the idea of buttered bread with fried food.

Me either can't stand Butter either with cold meats other than Ham or Haslet

Last edited:
Alf what is Haslet please?. Jean.

Are you ready for this ( I love it)

Haslet, also known as Acelet,[1] (pronounced 'Hacelet',[2][3] or azelet, though sometimes 'hazlet' in areas outside Lincolnshire) is a herbed pork meatloaf, originally from Lincolnshire in England. It is typically made of stale white bread, pork (traditionally the entrails), sage, salt and pepper, and sometimes onion. At least one butcher in Lincolnshire produces a gluten-free haslet.[4]
In parts of the South, the inner organs of a pig, e.g. heart, kidney, liver, lungs, etc, are called haslet, or haslet hash.
Similar in taste to a traditional faggot. Ready-cooked, may look like a giant faggot but sliced cold. Traditionally served cold with pickles and salad. Can also serve as a sandwich filling.

You can get it in all the usual Supermarkets, try it you won't be disappointed

Last edited:
Are you ready for this ( I love it)

Haslet, also known as Acelet,[1] (pronounced 'Hacelet',[2][3] or azelet, though sometimes 'hazlet' in areas outside Lincolnshire) is a herbed pork meatloaf, originally from Lincolnshire in England. It is typically made of stale white bread, pork (traditionally the entrails), sage, salt and pepper, and sometimes onion. At least one butcher in Lincolnshire produces a gluten-free haslet.[4]
In parts of the South, the inner organs of a pig, e.g. heart, kidney, liver, lungs, etc, are called haslet, or haslet hash.
Similar in taste to a traditional faggot. Ready-cooked, may look like a giant faggot but sliced cold. Traditionally served cold with pickles and salad. Can also serve as a sandwich filling.

You can get it in all the usual Supermarkets, try it you won't be disappointed
I wish you had not told me that Alf. I used to like it on a sandwich

We used to have Haslet when i was a child and i always wondered what it was,little did i know,i never eat any of these reconstituted foods or pies unless i make the pie myself of course,it is amazing what manufacturers are allowed to put in the food,but then beef is beef no matter which part

Alf ;
please excuse my ignorance but what is haslet ?.
I rather like kippers in custard myself followed by a thompson butchers pigs trotter
best wishes astonian ;;;

Alan Pete said that is disgusting kippers in custard and he can not bare to watch when I eat pigs trotters in pea soup. Are you kidding about the first?. Jean.

I am watching The Hairy Bikers and guess what it's home made haslet they are doing. If anyone wants to take a look in it is on at seven o'clock. Mike they only added liver not the other offle. It is on bbc 2 now. I bet Alf is watching it as it is filmed in Lincoln. Jean.

My mother described posh people as living on "kippers and custard" - something I never understood, as we had both quite regularly and we weren't exactly well off. Love kippers, hate custard.

Anyone like cow-heel?

Big Gee

Back