• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The brookhill , alum rock

Blauggeist
This pub did have a mention many years back now on this forum but as took probably heard this site was hacked for the proper wording
Along with other peoples memories of it
As you probably recall how busy it was many years ago. Before the degenerating of the distrist and declined
Up until afew years ago a well known publican with years of experience a tough manager was called for and that is
A guy called Craig docerty whom is a long term old friend of mine whom cleaned up that pub the brookhill
Along with his son from drug riffratts of unwanted people , Craig as been in the .Licence trade for many years longer than I can say
He as run many pubs around brum and across the midlands counties
He also ran the cross guns down the road but it was sold off he tried to save it campaign but never worked
For many years he ran the eagle and castle on moseley red Highgate many years ago in the sixtys
But anyway I will not carry on about his history
But like us all Craig as got old .like us all have done but the pub came is in is blood and he will carry on to he cannot do any. More
And his sons have taken over now but he left the brookhill after a marriage break up and with the situation and the bad experience
Of being robbed at gun point at the pub in is quarters of the Brookhill pub whilst he was there along with his wife and sons
Whom had the bad experience by a hard gang of men, not kids threatenend and attacked him
Decided it was time to move on from the brookhill and some pulled out and came down to eversham to a pub
But not only that the customers trade had dropped drammaticicaly and the brewers was loosing money
So they decided to close it down as a loss and boarded it up just like the Pellam pub went I went there after hours
Only to find alsorts of people whom are the dreggs that you do not want in your pub whom are troublesome whom I had barred from one or two clubs of mine
Pelham lost money and with a chequered history it had to go along with the broad way Craig and his sons are still in the game
And he is not a million miles away If I may had Craig,s wife died a year or two later from cancer but they are still doing well
They tried to pick up the lost trade at the brookhill he succeeded but after the robbery it started to decline
O. Old doc, is a great guy and as respect from all other managers within the trade of publicans and the brewers and he as a great record
Its a dangerous business now to be in the licence trade believe me if you Barr them and they cannot get you they will try for your family
To get at you its big business best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,

The Brookhill Tavern, a pub I can only remember ever using once, I think that was one summer evening in the 60's and we had a couple of drinks in the grounds if memory serves me well.

Attachments

• Alum Rock Brookhill Tavern.jpg
    Alum Rock Brookhill Tavern.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Alum Rock Brookhill Tavern Gardens .jpg
    Alum Rock Brookhill Tavern Gardens .jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 67
The pub was always busy back in the days of proper opening hours , their was some type of disco on all days except Monday and Wednesday . I met my wife there on one of these disco nights , their was a good crowd in their an the only time I saw any trouble was when strangers would come in lookin for a fight , I remember it being a villa supporters pub and Sunday dinner time was football football football the lounge was awash with players finishing their Sunday league games an popping in for a pint Happy days

I had a friend who was killed outside the Brookhill many years ago. He was either getting into a taxi or getting out when he was hit by a car. I have a feeling though, he had just left the pub and was getting into the taxi. His name was John Byrne. We used to drink mainly at the Cross Guns and the Swan. He was a good lad.

My late uncle Tim Flynn irish man who wore a trillby hat and wore a red Carnation who lived across the road was a regular at this Pub back in the 60´s if not before

Hi Castalla,

I'm sure I remember your uncle Tim, did he live on Alum Rock Rd opposite the Brookhill, first housenext to the shops? He was a lovely gentleman. Did he pass away in the early 90's?

Hi Castalla,

I'm sure I remember your uncle Tim, did he live on Alum Rock Rd opposite the Brookhill, first housenext to the shops? He was a lovely gentleman. Did he pass away in the early 90's?

Thats right he passed away in 1989, if you can beleive that, time flys, never knew if he was married or had children, i always remember this time of the year as he would stick his xmas decorations up at the begining of November, but i only seen him once maybe twice a year and we only lived in castle brom, one being xmas eve to go and collect presents and he was always genrous having them all over the wall, wish i had knew him better.

Hi Castalla,

Tim was a friend of my friends dad, they drank together in the Brookhill, I can't remember much about him but I think he was widowed. He was a quiet but very pleasant man.

Back