• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The British Army

Margaret, You cannot get a copy of his pay book but why dont you get it Photo copied for the grandkids to see

Hi. Found this card sent to my parents and brother from my Uncle Arthur during the second world war. On the front the insignia says China XC V11 The Prince of Wales regiment. Bye. Jean.

Cromwell ,looking @ the picture it may be a German freemasons id badge [they were banned by adolf in ww2]
rupertbri

I have read the first post on this thread and I am privilaged to say I and my husband know exactly what our family's did in the second world war and have the photo's to back them up some of which I put on the site. My family, especially Pete's dad [mustard gas sufferer from the first world war] did not like to talk about what they went through. It is from letters I found recently told of the suffering and horrors they saw. They also enjoyed the friendship and comeradery they shared. My cousin is going to post poto's of uncle Norman who served on a mine sweeping ship. Had many close shaves. My nan kept his sailors uniform in a big chest for years and often showed it to me. Jean.

Just found this post card in an old tin with some interesting photo's Pity someone removed the stamp. It is from uncle George dads brother to his mother. Bye. Jean.

Dear Mother
Just a line to let you know I am in the pink. Hoping all at home are the same.
I shall be here about a fortnight and then go to Ossley (?) Park London
[This must mean Osterley Park https://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ ]
to finish my training the ( something) on the front (cut off)
mess room are (cut off)
having the best (cut off)
Remember me to (cut off)
tell Mr. Edmonds (cut off)

Inverted card and repaired picture attached.

The finest land/sea armies of the last 1000 years,take on all comers and fight in any enviroment, travel to any country in the world and win, self sustaining , uncomplaining, professional, tough, this tradition is still alive to-day put against any in the world not only look the best but are the best.

The finest land/sea armies of the last 1000 years,take on all comers and fight in any enviroment, travel to any country in the world and win, self sustaining , uncomplaining, professional, tough, this tradition is still alive to-day put against any in the world not only look the best but are the best.
Hi Paul, I agree with most of what you say, but if you remember Regimental history from Caterham we had no
professional army until Cromwells New Model Army, also every government since 1945 have cut it back time
and time again, I remember Tom King making a right pigs ear of things in his time, and to put someone
like Geoff "baf" Hoon in charge was an insult, take care now Bernard.
Question? Does reincarnation mean you come back as a tin of milk?

Hi Bernard
I think the most insulting comments ever made by a crown minister was from Tom king when asked at the begining of the 1st gulf war why British soldiers unlike the American and French counterparts, were not recieving their UN pay, about £600 per month, and why if wounded they would not get automaticely the equivalent $10,000 dollar bonus. The sancatamonius old queen pulled himself up to his full hight and uttered "The British soldier fights for Queen, country and God, not for money" I am suprised no-one shot him.
paul

whilst in the Army R.E.M.E attached to the 7th Hussars ( tank regt) in Hong Kong in 1955 we had a power display of what all the regiments duties were in a war situation .Including The 7th FLEET OF THE American Navy.we put 3 tank wrecks about 200yds apart and about 11/2 miles away from the seating area we bulldized 2pits large enough to hide the hulls of 2 Comet 17lb gun tanks and camaflarged the turrets .this was to demonstrait armour piercing shells on enemy tanks .the artillery was to uset hese targets
unknown to us was the total devastation that the artillary can do . 42 Field Artillery with their 5.5 guns FIRING FROM 11 MILES AWAY WAS INCREDIBLE .They fired 1gun and the shell landed some 2miles away to the left the we heard "the spotter"GaVE INSTRUCTIONS TO A NEW TARGET ON THE RIGHT The instructions were given to 1gun to traverse lRIGHT xdegres pls 500 yards fire for effect the shell landed some 500yards short the instruction came plusplus 500yards fire for effect ,the shell landed just short of the target the co-ordinates were given to all 12 guns so that they covered a wide area There must have been several hundred troops and navy sitting on the hillside overlooking the fire zone ,but you could have heard a pin drop whilst we waited then suddenly like distant thunder rolling in the distance followed by the most terrible screaming sound really hurting your ear drums and the air being compressed like someone clapping their hands on your ears.My thoughts went back to all the war films that Ihad seen in my younger days ,it really brought home the terrible conditions of W1AND W11 THAT THE iNFANTRY HAD SUFFERED BECAUSE THERE WAS NOWAY YOU COULD ESCAPE THAT BECAUSE YOU COULD HEAR IT COMMING BEFORE IT LANDED .tHE AREA WAS TOTALLY OBLITERATED.the range was reduced twice sothat any advanceing enemy would be caught and and if not destroyed sevearly reduced Tom

Back