• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Britannia Lichfield Road Aston

That's kind Frothy. Eric it is at Arley on the Seven Valley. You would be made welcome whether on your own or not. Pete said he used to take his dad to the Britannia when he was in sheltered accommodation by Aston Station.

Last edited:
When I was young in Aston there seemed to be a pub on every corner, but drink was relatively cheap, not undercut by supermarkets (not around then), not much else to do, smoking allowed, a social meeting place darts, dominos sing songs etc..... things change, not always for the better but we have to accept changes. There just isn't the clientele around for all pubs to be profitable, and you cannot run at a loss for long. Eric

agree with that eric...business in business but just a shame that some of the old ways have now gone but as you said on another thread our little meets ups maybe help in some way to relive the good old days..my brother still plays team dominoes..

lyn

Last edited:
Yes it is such a shame that things change. When we were at the Brit the manager Sue was there and on karaoke nights the banter was there between her and Karaoke Russ. The other managers were not so bothered about the pub and it slowly went downhill. The visitors to the pub lowered after Sue left and the regular characters started to drift off. We think that Sue moved to another pub locally and the regulars followed. The karaoke stopped at the Brit. The upstairs function room was out of use for a long time and then when the pub had a facelift the upstairs was fixed up a little. Broken windows repaired and it appeared to get better then a new manager did a dissapearing act and once again the doors shut. Just wish it would re open as a pub. Bring back the good old days. Beer, BBQ, Sing Songs. Miss them sooooo much

taken today...some nice tiling on this pub...it had a new sign up saying aston cafe...too dodgy for me to cross the lichfield road to get full on shot

lyn

VINE..SWAN AND MITRE..BRITANNIA LICHFIELD ROAD 009.JPG VINE..SWAN AND MITRE..BRITANNIA LICHFIELD ROAD 010.JPG

What a shame !! did not realise it had been turned into a Café. I have spent many happy hours in the 'Brit' with my Dad, Father in Law and my late Wife, yet another wonderful old pub bites the dust, if it cannot turn a profit I suppose they have no alternative, pity all the same. Eric

eric not so long ago it was advertised as a shisha smoking place if like me you dont know what this is bit of info here...as it was advertstised outside the pub i am assuming that these smoking dens are legal..ie there must be a loop hole allowing this because we cant smoke in pubs or public places now..just going off track a bit about 3 years back there was a building used in high st digbeth for such activities and it burnt down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah_lounge

Last edited:
Well, if thieves can strip church rooves of lead then that statue should not present much challenge to anyone determined to have it. :eek:

Its where people smoke tobacco in a hookha pipe like in the middle east. Think the tobacco is flavoured. When I was working the centre was contracted to do some research on eastern tobaco flavours and had volunteers testing different smoking flavours. No smoking in the building so they put up a special hut outside for it. The centre was on the university campus and oneday some passers by looked in the windows and reported that people were in a hut were smoking cannabis. I remember that I smelled some of the tobaccos. Some smelled very pleasant. One was just like crisp apple juice

Remember the photos the new owner took of Britannia while perched precariously on the roof sometime ago? What happened to them?

One of the first things I noticed on joining the Forum was the word “avatar” on the side of the page. I didn’t have a clue what it meant and so had to look it up.

Well it seems to be an ancient Sanskrit word that has been taken up by the Computing World. But in Hinduism it is a manifestation of a released soul in bodily form on earth.

Would you Adam and Eve it, has the soul of the Britannia taken on bodily form to assure us of its future?

Astonian in the posts above says “if those walls could talk about the days gone bye and the charecters and the exploits you could be standing there for the next five year…”

But tantalizingly the only mention of the past is that it was a PUB (Does the use of capital letters here tell us something?).

And I did not know that SHISHA referred to the old Hookah Bars; there was I thinking we may have a reincarnation of Ansells! Maybe a problem with the Council on that one?

I will have to try to get in touch my Great Grandfather’s brother Linneus, who had the PUB around 1876, perhaps he knows if Samuel Taylor Coleridge had passed that way and stopped at the Brit for a swift drag of opium.

I wonder what the old lady sitting on the roof thinks of this?

Pedro
I learnt a lot of things from this post, Peter !

Back