• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Britannia Lichfield Road Aston

Well that's the first post I've seen by a pub! It's great to hear it will be in full use soon! thanks.

One of the first things I noticed on joining the Forum was the word “avatar” on the side of the page. I didn’t have a clue what it meant and so had to look it up.

Well it seems to be an ancient Sanskrit word that has been taken up by the Computing World. But in Hinduism it is a manifestation of a released soul in bodily form on earth.

Would you Adam and Eve it, has the soul of the Britannia taken on bodily form to assure us of its future?

Astonian in the posts above says “if those walls could talk about the days gone bye and the charecters and the exploits you could be standing there for the next five year…”

But tantalizingly the only mention of the past is that it was a PUB (Does the use of capital letters here tell us something?).

And I did not know that SHISHA referred to the old Hookah Bars; there was I thinking we may have a reincarnation of Ansells! Maybe a problem with the Council on that one?

I will have to try to get in touch my Great Grandfather’s brother Linneus, who had the PUB around 1876, perhaps he knows if Samuel Taylor Coleridge had passed that way and stopped at the Brit for a swift drag of opium.

I wonder what the old lady sitting on the roof thinks of this?

Pedro

To all my admirers,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to discuss my wonderful old days and for your concern for my future.

I am very happy to announce that I will be opening my doors once again to all my old and new admirers very soon… date to confirm. This time I will not be used as a PUB. My new venture will be dual purpose; Upper floors will be used as a college and the ground floor will a restaurant and shisha bar…. You will have to visit to find out more about this for yourself.

My new owner has taken very good care of me and given me a new lease of life. He has been trying to get a grant from the city council to renovate me but they have not been very helpful as yet.

I am now Grade 2 listed.

The Britannia

Wouldn't a Shisha bar contravene the indoor smoking laws?

The "Brit" used to be the haunt of my late Father in Law and his mate way back in the 40s/50s until my Father in law asked for a tie to go with the "collar" on his glass (suggesting short measure), he was immediately banned and changed to the King Edward, I beleive he got his marching orders from there too shortly afterwards, still the were pubs on every corner in those days so he had plenty to pick from Eric

Hi all!

I am the new tenant of the Britannia, and talking about Shisha above, yes I will be opening up a Shisha Bar, Thanks to "Mr. Britannia".
The Smoking Law will not contravene as the Shisha area will be outside and the inside will be used as the Cafe/Restaurant.
Hopefully the opening date will not be too far, I am working on it and trying to keep all the old themes, as its a Grade 2.
I will put more more information in the near future and links to our web-page.
Feel free to ask any questions..

Hi Shamoan, thanks for clarifying the question about the Shisha bar, just one more question,
what will the proposed college be teaching?

yes templar
as a true astonian born and bread on the very door steps
i am very intrigue to learn what they will be teaching ---shamoan
i would like to enrol ; if i ain,nt to old to do so
the goverment tell us we are never to old to learn and educate our selves more
looking forwarded to it .
have a nice day guys , best wishes Astonian ;;;

The college section has been given to someone else, whom plans to open up an education centre. At this moment of time, personally haven't really met the individually properly so cannot answer your question of what they will be teaching. From what i've heard, the subjects could be Business management but I'm not entirely sure. However I will find out for you.

"Your never too old to learn"

Roger,as i understand it a Shisha Bar is a bar where instead of smoking your own cigarette you smoke flavoured tobacco from a Hookah jar shared by a party of you.

i seem to have seen one of those place years ago down alum rock rd
many years ago late sixties or the early seventies
best wishes Astonian ;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi great pictures, what a wonderful building it is!has it a conservation order on it?i have a feeling my dad may have drunk in there back in the 60's.I would love to see the interior of the pub, hopefully it has been well preserved to what it was in its halcyon days!

When I passed this afternoon, a man was up a ladder painting the woodwork - black. There were lights on inside too. Maybe there will be a sign up outside soon and we will know what is going on.

Hi all!

I am the new tenant of the Britannia, and talking about Shisha above, yes I will be opening up a Shisha Bar, Thanks to "Mr. Britannia".
The Smoking Law will not contravene as the Shisha area will be outside and the inside will be used as the Cafe/Restaurant.
Hopefully the opening date will not be too far, I am working on it and trying to keep all the old themes, as its a Grade 2.
I will put more more information in the near future and links to our web-page.
Feel free to ask any questions..

I have just returned from the football match today and saw the signs announcing this; I have to say that I was a little troubled because I had hoped to see "The Brit" re-opened as a pub. But we have to be realistic; times have changed and that the new tenant has taken the time post on this forum with his warm views about the building indicates that the old place is in safe hands. It has a wonderful tiled interior; I hope this is retained. Bets of luck with the venture Shamoan; I will pop in when you're up and running!

hi just wanted to find out two things first when you are opening and second of all if you are recruiting staff if so can you please let me know either on this forum or via facebook as i have posted a message on your wall thankyou mohammed mufti

Dear Dropacog

Thank you for your post, unfortunately it will not be re-opening as a Pub, there are already a few Pub's on the same road so change was required. In regards to the Tiles inside, they will stay! They look really nice. Before I took over alot of the original feature i.e. furniture and Bar had been removed so I'm slowly trying to bring them back.
All are welcomed to visit the Britannia, now renamed "Brittannia Mehfil" (Mehfil - Gathering) the new sign is up.

quadz_sheri - at the moment we are recruiting, but however there could be in the near future depending on how the Business runs. I see you have found us on Facebook. Keep in touch and do visit and introduce yourself once we open, hopefully middle of March

Back