• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Britannia Lichfield Road Aston

Well, if thieves can strip church rooves of lead then that statue should not present much challenge to anyone determined to have it. :eek:

Its where people smoke tobacco in a hookha pipe like in the middle east. Think the tobacco is flavoured. When I was working the centre was contracted to do some research on eastern tobaco flavours and had volunteers testing different smoking flavours. No smoking in the building so they put up a special hut outside for it. The centre was on the university campus and oneday some passers by looked in the windows and reported that people were in a hut were smoking cannabis. I remember that I smelled some of the tobaccos. Some smelled very pleasant. One was just like crisp apple juice

Remember the photos the new owner took of Britannia while perched precariously on the roof sometime ago? What happened to them?

One of the first things I noticed on joining the Forum was the word “avatar” on the side of the page. I didn’t have a clue what it meant and so had to look it up.

Well it seems to be an ancient Sanskrit word that has been taken up by the Computing World. But in Hinduism it is a manifestation of a released soul in bodily form on earth.

Would you Adam and Eve it, has the soul of the Britannia taken on bodily form to assure us of its future?

Astonian in the posts above says “if those walls could talk about the days gone bye and the charecters and the exploits you could be standing there for the next five year…”

But tantalizingly the only mention of the past is that it was a PUB (Does the use of capital letters here tell us something?).

And I did not know that SHISHA referred to the old Hookah Bars; there was I thinking we may have a reincarnation of Ansells! Maybe a problem with the Council on that one?

I will have to try to get in touch my Great Grandfather’s brother Linneus, who had the PUB around 1876, perhaps he knows if Samuel Taylor Coleridge had passed that way and stopped at the Brit for a swift drag of opium.

I wonder what the old lady sitting on the roof thinks of this?

Pedro
I learnt a lot of things from this post, Peter !

Back