• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Brewer And Baker..ravenhurst St

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dated..1989

Attachments

• Camp Hill Brewer & Baker PH.jpg
    Camp Hill Brewer & Baker PH.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 84
That's the pub at Camp Hill Circus that is closed / boarded up, and keeps getting vandalised.

Isn't it between Camp Hill and Old Camp Hill?

ive no idea ell..i can only put what the caption say but if you know this pub then you must be right...

cheers..

I see it from the bus when I go to or leave town.

Near the Seventh Day Aventist Church place.

Lyn

It is the Brewer & Baker on Ravenhurst St at Camp Hill before it got isolated on a little island. It used to be a good pub and the gaffer (I think his name was Don) used to come down to out local for a drink occasionally and sometimes we would pop up there.

I think the problem with the pub is unless you are driving you take your life in your hands getting to it and coupled with the fact there is very little housing in the vicinity of the pub all this combines to make a recipe for failure.

Phil

Camp Hill Brewer & Baker Ravenhurst St.jpg

Last edited:
great phil..its nice to have a bit of info where we can...once again its a shame thats it is yet another disused pub...

I remember a few years back listening to a debate as to weather or not this pub was dissmantaled and then rebuilt brick by brick on a site some 100 yds from its origanal site. I had to leave before a conclusion was reached. Does anyone know what the outcome may have been.

Robert

It was never moved it was just refurbished and everything removed from around it. Where it is now is where it has always been. If you look at this photo of Camp Hill in the 60's the B & B was just down Ravenhurst St from the Cafe on the corner. I used the B & B in the 60's before all the demolition and I used it in the 70's when Don was the Landlord.

Phil

Camp Hill Ravenhurst Street .jpg

Last edited:
Shame you was'nt there Phil with that photo. I seem to remember that one of them said that the bricks were numbered and if you looked closley the numbers were still visable. Its amazing what you hear just having a pint while the wifes shopping.

The Brewer and Baker pub is still there, rotting away on its little island Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 69
Both ways on the bus today, couldn't but help notice that the roof on the left had been burnt out. Maybe an arson attack?

Was a lot of broken tiles on the pavement outside the derelict pub building of the Brewer and Baker at Camp Hill.

Wonder when it got targeted?

Hopefully it can be repaired. But it needs a future, not just left abandoned near a busy road junction.

What's left of The Brewer and Baker derelict pub. No repairs since last years fire. Still tiles on the ground. Overgrown grass. Seen from the top deck of the no 31 bus on Camp Hill.

Robert

It was never moved it was just refurbished and everything removed from around it. Where it is now is where it has always been. If you look at this photo of Camp Hill in the 60's the B & B was just down Ravenhurst St from the Cafe on the corner. I used the B & B in the 60's before all the demolition and I used it in the 70's when Don was the Landlord.

Phil

View attachment 117208
Hi
I know post is old but I don’t suppose you have any other Ravenhurst Street pictures do you. My dad lived there in the40’s to the 60’s and he’s desperate to find some
Thank you
Nick

will have look tomorrow nick and post if i have any..i take it ravenhurst st has been demolished

lyn

Hi Nick

Sorry these are the only two I could come up with, one of the Moseley Arms on the corner of Moseley Road that backed on to Grooms Transport yard.The other is of the Alms houses that were just inside Ravenhurst Street at the Camp Hill end.

Camp Hill Mosley Arms Ravenhurst St .jpgCamp Hill Ravenhurst St Almshouses.JPG

will have look tomorrow nick and post if i have any..i take it ravenhurst st has been demolished

lyn
Yes all gone now. Dad was born there and desperate for any pictures please. I guess even the area around?? I have just shown him the one of the corner and he was made up.
Cjeers

Nick

Hi
I know post is old but I don’t suppose you have any other Ravenhurst Street pictures do you. My dad lived there in the40’s to the 60’s and he’s desperate to find some
Thank you
Nick
Hi Nick, I've only recently started using the forum to add some background to my ancestry search. I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, and, like you, delighted to find the photos posted by other members on this thread. My great-grandparents, John and Ellen Neal, were living at 21, Ravenhurst Street from 1911 and Neal's were living there right up until my grandad Tom Neal's death in 1971, so I'm sure your Dad would have known them. I believe my grandad was living there with his sister and brother-in-law, Jane and Victor Fox, in the 50s/60s, along with their sister Fanny and brother George. Apparently they had a wire-making factory in the back yard! My grandad Tom was a drover and then foreman at the Meat Market.

Got another photo of The Brewer & Baker coming home on the bus today. Fly tipping in the car park to the left.

Back