• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Boys Brigade

hi jenifier
my two oldest brothers was in the ist brigade of the aston BB Brigade the person in charge was captain roberts he lived in albert rd aston
next to aston park and there was a big wash shop where people took large budle of washing daily in the forties and fifties the steam used to bellow out side the shop it was stack right out with the local peoples washing my two oldest brothers on and blly and there mates whom lived in our terrace at cromwell terrace on lichfield rd there mates was to brothereswhom lived in the bottom of the terace we grew up with them they was raymond and tery jarratt
along with johnny lloyed ; he was the flag bearear in the front of the proccession there was three lead drummers one i cannot think of his name the other tow was ray and my oldest brothere ron my other brother was the bugler along with ray in the early fifties i think it was when the BBC was on broad street
the boys brigade made a record of th band i think there was another section from some where else whom had to attend with mr roberts
i recall him bringing it home and our dad played it quite often ;on the old rcord plaer he bought it drove us barmy; [ i wonde if any old boy of the 1 st brigade3 as still got the old 78 record to play today ist company was at dyson hall in park street along with the life bouys which i was a member we used to share the hall with
the BB .and the three or should i say we all sang in the choir there at the church wich belong to dyson hall the pther members was my two brotheres ray and terry
and johny along with i think it was a kid called peter thats where we done our choir pratice and then on sundays we had to go t aston parish church to do the singing if we done our practice we got half a crown and we we don the sunday service at ason parish church we got two half acrowns ;making it five bob ;
any way i do not see my oldest brother ron whom is getting on in life he lives in tamworth we have not spoke in twenty years so i cannot tell him of this Ist bb
meeting i am sure he would have loved to know many thanks best wishes Astonian;;;;

The 1st BB is still going and if you would like to know more info, please let me know, I'm the current captain. Jennifer
Jennifer,
Have you any info at all on my dad, Arthur Bath, who I would guess was in the BB during the 2nd WW?

Hi
Not sure if you are still interested in finding out which BB your dad was in, the 1st Birmingham in Aston is still going and I am the captain, contact me if you would like to know more. Jennifer

My late father Raymond Jones was in the 1st Birmingham at Dyson Hall in the 1940s. I have somewhere a photo of the camp on their visit to the Isle of Wight and a book on the history of Dyson Hall. I will find them out and put them on here.

Re: The Boys Brigade (LEST WE FORGET)

i would like to remember my grandfather, his name was harold kain, he was in the royal artillery, he was with the british expeditionay force and was very badly injured at dunkirk, he died of his injuries in eastbourne.

although i never knew him from the stories my mom told me the world lost a very special person on that day.

We are searching for information of the old boys of the 1st A Birmingham Boys brigade who died in WW2 and are remembered every year at our remembrance service. One of these lads is Harold Thomas Kain who died on 30/05/1940 of wounds following Dunkirk, your Grandfather. See the website www.1stabb.org.uk for details of our Roll of Honour. Any information you have on your Grandfather would be appreciated. Contact me at [email protected].

the 1st a boys brigade celebrated their centenary in 2013, as part of this we are digitising all the old photos. Follow the links at the web site, It would be nice to know if any of the photos are of your grandfather.

many thanks

Andy Clarke

Website link given not working try https://1abirmingham.boys-brigade.org.uk/index.html

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad, Norman Searles was skipper of the 24th BB company. My parents were care takers of the church until we moved in 1957, and we lived in the church flat in Madeley Road. Dad and I continued with the 24th for a couple of years. Frank Albert was a personal friend. Robin.

hi rob would it be possible to locate my brothers application form please...his name is mark harrington..118 villa st hockley and he was there in 64/65 i think...keyhill brian found his attendence records for me some time back..

many thank for any help

lyn

hi rob would it be possible to locate my brothers application form please...his name is mark harrington..118 villa st hockley and he was there in 64/65 i think...keyhill brian found his attendence records for me some time back..

many thank for any help

lyn
Hi Lyn, Andy is continuing to scan all the documents and pictures that we find but unfortunately not all membership forms have survived. We will look out for anything we have on Mark, but it looks like he was only a member for 6 weeks. Rob.

Lyn,
many records are obviously missing - I was in the the Life Boys, never missing a week right up until I qualified for the 1st A Seniors, even travelling from Lea hall every week after we moved there in my last year - and there is no trace of me on the attendance records!
Brian

Lyn,
many records are obviously missing - I was in the the Life Boys, never missing a week right up until I qualified for the 1st A Seniors, even travelling from Lea hall every week after we moved there in my last year - and there is no trace of me on the attendance records!
Brian
1st A Life Boy leadership changed a lot more frequently than the older boys Company, but old records are still being found so don't give up yet Brian. We are amazed at the records and pictures that are available. There are not many Boys' Brigade companies that have such a large and varied archive. Rob.

Lyn,
Brian

ahh that a shame bri...a member for all that time and you dont exist lol..seriously though as rob said dont give up yet as you may turn up...

many thanks for keeping an eye out for our kids application rob...he was so chuffed when i showed him the copies of his attendance sheets not only was his name on them but also his mates from villa st...he printed them off and got them laminated...ive also only recently bumped into another neighbour from villa st who lived just a few doors up from us and her brother is also on the attendance sheet so hes got a copy as well..

lyn

Last edited:
I have seen other who were there when I was there - The Parry's amongst them, who lived next door to Pembroke Playing Fields. I'll have to have another look through as it's been over a year, and I haven't seen the new material added yet.
BRi

I have seen other who were there when I was there - The Parry's amongst them, who lived next door to Pembroke Playing Fields. I'll have to have another look through as it's been over a year, and I haven't seen the new material added yet.
BRi

good luck bri..let us know if you find yourself lol

lyn

Do you remember Peter Maskell, Malcolm Rose, Graham Foyle, Neil Devey?

I remember you

Certainly Do Trev, with fond memories. However have been 40 years in the Methodist Ministry andl learning the names of thousands of people.. faces sometimes become a little blurred!!!!

Boys Brigade is one of my favorite memories of growing up, though I cannot recall many specifics about my time there, in the early seventies. Can't even remember the Company number!!?? I lived in Perry Common, and I THINK we went to the BB at Warren Farm School. or near there. I think the Captains name was Dave(?) and another name I remember is Andrew Rystogi (sp) who later became a teacher at Perry Common Comp. I checked the BB website and the company closest to Warren Farm now is the 29th. Where can I find records that may give me a lead or two? I also have an old friend that I recently re-connected with, he may remember some more details. Hopefully he's got more grey matter left than me!! :)

Hi I was a member of the 23rd company which was based in Hay Mills. I joined the life boys in about 1952 and progressed into the BB as i got older. I really enjoyed the time i spent there the meetings were great fun, always something going on, and then there was the football team and the camping. I only went camping with them twice, the first time was to Swanage and the next time to Exmouth. We had great fun from start to finish of our two week camp. We would load a lorry up with our cases (which was quite a laugh) a couple of days before and we would go down on the trains. My first time away from home.

Boys Brigade is one of my favorite memories of growing up, though I cannot recall many specifics about my time there, in the early seventies. Can't even remember the Company number!!?? I lived in Perry Common, and I THINK we went to the BB at Warren Farm School. or near there. I think the Captains name was Dave(?) and another name I remember is Andrew Rystogi (sp) who later became a teacher at Perry Common Comp. I checked the BB website and the company closest to Warren Farm now is the 29th. Where can I find records that may give me a lead or two? I also have an old friend that I recently re-connected with, he may remember some more details. Hopefully he's got more grey matter left than me!! :)

OK..... I talked to my friend and he remembered EVERYTHING! It was the 89th company, and meetings were at Brackenbury Church, until it closed then we moved to Warren Farm School. (I got one thing right!) lol. Captain's name was Mike Booten (sp) I've got more names if anybody is interested.

Mark

Me again. Just did a search for the 89th on the BB web site, and couldn't find anything. Have some companies ceased to exist?

My brother Stanley Shaw was in the Boys Brigade at Nechells in the 60s - (we lived in Stella Street) He would have been 62 this year. There were 6 of us in the family. Not sure whether brother Graham attended too. Just wondered if anyone remembers Stan (or Graham) ?

Joseph1933 - the boys brigade does still exist here in Redditch - my own son used to attend as a boy :)
Hi. I'm doing some research regarding 40 Stella Street around 1948/1950. Date wise it may be a bit before your time. Nevertheless, do you know if this street was all housing or a mix of buildings. If a mix, can you recall their purpose? And finally, was the street closed by the Council and approximately where did it sit on the Birmingham street map. Thanks Lorraine.

Back