• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bowling Green At St Bernard's Grange, Sheldon

Brock

master brummie
St Bernard's Grange public house, formerly the home of the Wimbush family, holds dear memories for me. I was born in the 1950's & recall going to the pub in the 1950/60's with my parents and used to have great fun playing within the wonderful grounds with my friends.
Today's land border to the left of the property (which is now much changed) is a wooden fence dividing the pub land & the land of an area of housing but during my childhood that land belonged to the pub. Where the fence now stands was a stone wall with a set of steps in the middle which led down to the old bowling green. To the left side of the green was an old pavilion which also doubled up as the meeting place for the pigeon club too. It was a common sight to see the pigeon fanciers with their wicker baskets of birds in the bar before their meetings started.
Children were not allowed down the steps in fear that they would spoil the well attended bowling green but I can recall spending many an hour sitting on the steps with my glass of pop & packet of crisps (Smith's crisps with the little blue twist of salt inside of the packet) watching the bowling matches.
I was occasionally allowed down those steps with my Dad's friend Ernie Croft when he went to the pavilion with his pigeons and recall the time machines & the letting off of the birds for their races.
Children are always inquisitive aren't they and when no-one was looking we would sneak down the steps to the far side of the green where there was yet another set of steps which led down to another level where there was a large pond and we used to love to go there to look out for the many newts that lived in the waters. There used to be a small pond within the grounds near to the doorway of the old glasshouse which opened out into the grounds. That too was the home of newts but it wasn't nearly as exciting as watching those in the old big pond.
The area surrounding the big pond was wildly overgrown then & never used & was a great place to play hide & seek in but you could still see that it had once been an old & beautiful place which had been landscaped & planted out very well. The old house must have once looked very grand surrounded by it's beautiful & extensive gardens.
I just wondered if anyone else can remember the old bowling green & pigeon club from those wonderful old days & wondered when they were closed down possibly at a time when it had been decided to sell off the land perhaps?
Happy days!

I remember going there usually in the summer with my parents. I lived off Garretts Green Lane and walked to the "grange" many times. I remember there was a grassed area that we could play on and there was a huge tree in the middle. At each corner of the lawn was a clump of trees that you could run in.

We used to have great fun there exploring in the trees and they gave great hiding places too. The old pub was full of character with its old fashioned bar, it's function room, the glass house lounge and it even had a small gents only room that was the next door along from the little outdoor. It's well used these days but a much altered place that holds none of its past character which is sad to say.

Thats a term that you don't hear much now "outdoor".
I happened to be in the company of a group of Irish people recently and I used "outdoor" to describe the business my grandmother ran in Witton. They had not heard of that expression.

I used to love to go into the outdoor of The Grange to buy my own crisps when I was little cos it made me feel so grown up. I seem to recall that the counter was very high up but perhaps that's just a figment of my imagination & it might have just been that I was very short!

Hello Everyone
The Comet at Castle Bromwich had a really good club and bowling green. Water Orton was excellent, the location, a little tucked away made you feel relaxed and you could really enjoy your game of bowls.
Best wishes
Gerald
Garden Gerald.

gerald is the pub still there i used to live on kingshurst and frequented castle brom in my youth but cant visualize the pub.
phil

Hello Phil
Coming from Kingshurst to Ward End you would pass Hodge Hill Common on both sides of the road. Just past the common on the right was Ventnor Avenue. Go the full length Ventnor Avenue and you come to Bromford Road, turn right and then take the road that soon appears on the left. That is Collingbourne Avenue walk along until you come to the end of the older houses and on the left was the Comet and on the right some new shops. After the Comet they were all new houses and flats.
I have done some searching this morning and it looks as if it has been demolished. The bowling green was at the back of the pub down some steps. A row of benches at the top of the steps was provided for people to watch the bowlers. Behind the Comet was the remains of Castle Bromwich golf course and just after that you could see Bromford Bridge racecourse.
All of this brings back lots of good memories, including my offer of marriage, that was turned down, to a girl in Collingbourne Avenue. Glad about that now because she had two sets of triplets and I would not have the superb family I have now.
Best wishes
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

The Comet, for some reason I never went into that place. Must be the only pub that side of town I never had a drink in, and I lived not too far from there.
The Comet hodge hill (Large).jpg

Back