• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Boer War

The peace celebrations at the end of the Boer War.........Strange how Botha and Smuts(Two Great Men) fought hard and bitter against the British in the Boer War yet they were on our side during the Great War

Boer War Train Drivers

Hi Cromwell,
My wife's grandfather emigrated to South Africa before the Anglo-Boer War began in 1899. He was an engine driver and was possibly involved with driving the armoured trains. He worked on the South African Railways for the remainder of his working life. I have found a record of a 'Civilian Engine Driver' of the same surname, who was quite possibly his brother, on the casualty list. I have read accounts mentioning these civilian engine drivers before. They were regarded as combatants by the Boers, and treated accordingly. I have spent many hours trying to find on the web, any lists which would show the names of personnel who did this job who did not become casualties, but without any success.
I was wondering whether you, or others using this forum, might have any information on this?

Spooner, You will be hard pushed to find information of the type you require because if he emigrated his records would be in South Africa if there were any

Boer War Train Drivers

Thanks Cromwell,
It was worth asking anyway.
By the way, speaking of that war. Did you read about the theft of the Boer War memorial statue in Nuneaton recently? The bronze statue was removed from its plinth with an ANGLE GRINDER! Shows how low some people will go to get 'scrap' metal doesn't it? The statue was unveiled by Sir Redvers Buller, and thousands of people turned up to watch.

Spooner, Yes I did Know about it and there has been talk of replacing it but like everything else it always seem’s never to be that simple……shall we have a replica made by a sculptor that was willing to do it or a modern repro ?…………and the debate will drag on and on …
Not only in the Great War did patriotic men women and children do all they could to help the troops ……the same happened during the Boer War in Sutton Coldfield school-girls knitted socks and helmets for the soldiers.
When British forces were besieged in the town of Mafeking from November, 1899 to May, 1900, patriotic feelings ran high.
But not everyone was sympathetic to the cause and among local people who were not was a Sutton publican, who was the landlord of the " Top Swan” and became known as a " Boer Lover". A Flag used to fly from his window every time the Boers won a battle or defeated the British. But the patriotic people of Sutton got their own back on him when Mafeking was relieved they stormed in to the pub and totally wrecked it
Doing so much damage, which could not be repaired it had to be demolished.

Photo is of the Statue that was stolen

Boer War

Interesting story, Cromwell. The Anglo-Boer War was one of those conflicts which were really more to do with money than political power, or maybe they're both the same thing? The British Government had become concerned about the enormous wealth of Cecil Rhodes, and the local influence he had over things. The Boers were just as concerned, because Rhode's wealth was mostly in their independant republics.
Jan Smuts was indeed a great man, imagine the difficulty in committing to support Britain in Europe in 1914, so soon after such a bitter conflict. He helped to put down a rebelllion before it really got going. Did you know he was one of the military who fought for the establishment of the Royal Air Force? He and Churchill were great pals and joked about the ransom that was placed on their respective heads during the Boer War. Smuts was acting Prime Minister during WW2, when Churchill was away.

Strange how men and countries can try to annihilate each other one minute and become the best of friends the next....wise men can forgive and forget and leave it to the next generation to cement bonds.....but its sad to say their are not many wise men left ...today its lies,deceit, and brinkmanship......
But thats the World we live in today...........
I really admired how the Boers fought with their hit and run tactics and the Armour'd Train was found to be pretty useless when the track was destroyed in front of them and all of a sudden at the back .....stranded with nowhere to go.... only to bake in the sun and get picked off by snipers
We soon learned a hard lesson.....

Not an episode to be proud about....the start of concentration camps for Boer women and children and salting of their farms. Children died. War crimes do you think?

Last edited:
This Thread entitled Boer War, has no mention of the role of Joseph Chamberlain.
As you have raised the subject of the role of Joseph Chamberlain in The Boer War, perhaps you could enlighten us on what you feel has been omitted in this thread and how this relates to a better understanding of Birmingham’s history?

Not an episode to be proud about....the start of concentration camps for Boer women and children and salting of their farms. Children died. War crimes do you think?
Hi Rupertstill and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. We welcome an active discussion and interaction relating to the history of Birmingham and a better understanding of its past history, so please bear in mind that when talking about world history or events in other countries. it needs to relate to Birmingham and its past. While we do not deny war crimes are indeed reprehensible, there are other social media and online platforms that are for more suitable for this type of discussion.

The comment was made two years ago, so my thoughts are from today.

Would the role of Joseph Chamberlain in the Boer War give a better understanding of Birmingham's history? Probably not, it would only relate to Joseph Chamberlain's national role, as Colonial Secretary.

However, as Joseph Chamberlain played a great part in the history of Birmingham, and also in the Boer War, he just deserves a mention for that reason. We also have the clock to celebrate his visit to South Africa in 1902.

Last edited:
Back