• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Bobcats.

BazzM

master brummie
Just remembered another group from the 60s. Does anyone recall The Bobcats ? They where a group of school boys that came to the Railway Club in Dollman Street many times. They where actually very good. The Railway Club was an old haunting ground of mine, and we saw many a good group or show there, but The Bobcats where amongst the better ones. Barry.

Hi Bazz, my husband used to drive the Bobcats around in his works van (signs removed, good job it was a long time ago). When they won the battle of the bands in West Bromwich it resulted in a recording contract. He took them to London and sat in on the recording. He said the people doing the recording had no interest and didn't help but they could have done alright. He has their record that was never released. Later Mick Owen became their roadie /manager. Mick later became Bob Geldolfs tour manager. Sadley Mick died of cancer about 3 years ago. So sad he was another Brummy done good. There is some more info here: https://www.brumbeat.net/bobcats.htm

MomaP, thanks for that. Facinating bit of info there. Just goes to show what a small world we live in doesnt it ? Fancy your husband being their roadie. As I said before, they where really talented lads, and its a pity that the people in the recording studio couldnt see that. I too think they could have made it with a bit of luck. Anyway, they must have done something right, because I still remember them after all these years. Barry.

Hi Wendy,

I'm new to this site and obviously looking around. I remember the Bobcats from as far back as 1965 and towards the end of the 60's I played in a soul band in Worcester on the same bill as them. I remember Mick really well he was known as Mick the Marmalizer to us after an altracation with some locals at Habberly Kidderminster. So sorry to hear that he passed away it must be nearly forty years since I saw him. I used to meet Gary Hedges the bass player a lot in the 70's and sometimes Les and Dave but unfortunately have now lost touch.

What a great forum site this is.
George

George it's nice to reminisce another band member who's name escapes me died in the 80's. He suffered from asthma and had an attack when he was on his own and died. He lived at Nether Whitaker and ran a kennels with his wife. Sadly they divorced and he died alone I believe.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about Paul.

I found that site and sent an email for contact. I would love to contact Gary and if I can work out the IM properly I will send you my email address to pass on if you would.

You can tell him I retired from BT and now live a life of riley in the countryside with a little playing thown in.

Kind regards
George

BazzM, post: 63134, member: 46"]
Just remembered another group from the 60s. Does anyone recall The Bobcats ? They where a group of school boys that came to the Railway Club in Dollman Street many times. They where actually very good. The Railway Club was an old haunting ground of mine, and we saw many a good group or show there, but The Bobcats where amongst the better ones. Barry.
[/QUOTE]i used that club baz
[

BazzM, post: 63134, member: 46"]
i used that club baz
[
[/QUOTE]
Pete. Are you saying you used the railway club in Dollman St ? If so, when ? I spent loads of time in there in the 60s. I even worked behind the bar on a number of occasions. Used to go for whatever was on on a Saturday night, and then, for the bingo, and hare of the dog, on Sunday. Saw some good acts in there. Did you see any ?
Barry.

i used that club baz
[
Pete. Are you saying you used the railway club in Dollman St ? If so, when ? I spent loads of time in there in the 60s. I even worked behind the bar on a number of occasions. Used to go for whatever was on on a Saturday night, and then, for the bingo, and hare of the dog, on Sunday. Saw some good acts in there. Did you see any ?
Barry.
[/QUOTE]
i had a friend who lived in dollman st. we used hang out in a cafe around there. and sometimes went in the club.for a drink.
nechells was my hunting ground too 50s 60s.

Barry.
i had a friend who lived in dollman st. we used hang out in a cafe around there. and sometimes went in the club.for a drink.
nechells was my hunting ground too 50s 60s.
[/QUOTE]
I had friends who where the Coleman Family, so spent a lot of time there.

I was born in Hunters Vale in January 1943. I played out on all the bombed sites as a kid but I don't remember any access to the cottages you are talking about, were they demolished before 1948 ? the year I started school. I wondered if when Rex Nicholls was built they would have been demolished ? the factory was also the land lord of our house until the council took over in the 1950's. I lived there until 1956 when the houses were due for demolition and we moved to Burbury St. Pat
Well, i never knew that. And i still have The Uglys first 3 singles. Thanks A Sparks.

No, I didn't know that either and I used to know Roger!
I liked The Uglys too, I can only recall their single End of the Season. Off course Steve Gibbons went on to greater things :)

Back