• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Board Inn. High St

Brummie66

On my birth certificate it says that I was born at 101 High St (near the Bull Ring). I know this was a public house and was either the Board Inn or the Plough and Harrow - does anyone know which one it was and if someone has information about it I would be very interested.

What was the large building with all the windows in the back ground?

Nodd KD

Last edited:
What was the large building with all the windows in he back ground?

Nodd KD

It looks to me like City Centre House, part of the Big Top site, the entrance of which is in Union Street. It was built on the bombed out part at the end of New Street - would that fit the date of the photograph?

George Charlton Peters from London is listed there from 1841 (not long married) until his death in 1861.

Possibly had relatives (cousin maybe) in the same business on Bull St.

It is listed as Peters & Co in the 1833 directory, as William & George Peters in the 1839 directory, and George Peters & Son in the 1841 directory

BOARD INN, Phillips Street / High Street

Formerly known as the Board Vaults. Up until the First World War it had an early morning licence, and opened at 6.00am for the thirsty barrow boys. Being near the Fish Market it was affectionately known as the COD’S HEAD. During the 1880’s it was also known as FOX’S , taking its name from a popular licencee of the time. The photo below shows his name on the building next to the Bull Ring (High St) entrance to the Market Hall. The pub was taken over by Atkinsons Brewery at the end of the Century, whence it seems to have changed its name to the BOARD INN. Just before the end of the First World War, its licensee was one Anthony Diamond, the Amateur Heavyweight Boxing Champion of England, needlees to say that trouble was not much in evidence when he was behind the Bar. Incidentally, he later became the landlord of The Great Western in Acocks Green, next to the Station.

BOARD INN, Phillips Street / High Street

Formerly known as the Board Vaults. Up until the First World War it had an early morning licence, and opened at 6.00am for the thirsty barrow boys. Being near the Fish Market it was affectionately known as the COD’S HEAD. During the 1880’s it was also known as FOX’S , taking its name from a popular licencee of the time. The photo below shows his name on the building next to the Bull Ring (High St) entrance to the Market Hall. The pub was taken over by Atkinsons Brewery at the end of the Century, whence it seems to have changed its name to the BOARD INN. Just before the end of the First World War, its licensee was one Anthony Diamond, the Amateur Heavyweight Boxing Champion of England, needlees to say that trouble was not much in evidence when he was behind the Bar. Incidentally, he later became the landlord of The Great Western in Acocks Green, next to the Station.
Nice history you gave us there, thank you

Back