• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Blitz

Hi farmer Dave
The Germans must have had some intelligence on that factory to bomb it considering it,s way off the city of brum knowing the area
And considering how they misjudged Coventry for Birmingham
Still its nice to hear it was named after the factory and not some .word mayor as they used to in those days
The factory done us all proud best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,

I think that through all the damage and terrible loss of life a great deal of humour shone through it all. That's a reason why the British are British if you see what I mean.
My Aunt and Uncle were bombed out of their home in Aston and came to live with my parents in Deykin Ave until they could find a new house. A month or two later they found a property in Electric Ave almost opposite the GEC.
Before they were called up, my Father and Uncle were employed at GEC repairing bomb damage and were also in the Home Guard there.

Anyway, before they moved in, my Uncle "found" some wallpaper from somewhere and while their ladies were at the house in Deykin, my Father and Uncle started to paper the downstairs rooms at the house in Electric Ave in the evenings after work. Of course, off went the air raid sirens and the pair dashed around the corner to be with the ladies. After the all clear, back they went to Electric Ave to continue with the decorating. What would have normally taken them a couple of evenings took them nearly a month, but they became pretty fit dashing backwards and forwards around the corner !

A lovely photograph. Vehicles, mainly official, also had their wheel arches painted white. The street lights shown would not be working in those days. Car headlights were covered and were of little use for seeing the road. We often had to carried a torch at night. I note that the trees are also painted white on the trunk area, and the lampposts are painted white around the base, also the bus stops. All of this would be to assist both motorists and pedestrians at night.

I note that in the centre reservation of the photo there is a "SHELTER" sign. Could the shelter be on the central where the white blocks are? The area is raised, and certainly looks as if it has been recently turned over. Eddie

I think that through all the damage and terrible loss of life a great deal of humour shone through it all. That's a reason why the British are British if you see what I mean.

Britishness is slowly being eroded. We are now, whether we like it or not, a multicultural society, as are most European countries. Sad in my opinion.

My mom and her parents were bombed out of their home in Brookvale Park Road during the war.It was said that the house was on the approach run towards Kynoch munitions works .I have not seen any other reports of the attack.

Dr

I think it was a matter of luck, or rather bad luck if your house was damaged or destroyed. Bomb aiming was rather hit or miss early in the war, we lived in Cranmore Boulevard, Shirley during the war which you would think was a safe place, yet a bomb landed opposite us on a house in Clinton Road, destroying the house and the blast damaging houses around us including ours, also flattened our chicken coop and killed all our chickens which my sisters and I were more upset about than the house damage, I think this was November 1940, I was 10. Yet my Gran and Grandad who lived in Queens Rd Aston had a land mine at the bottom of the road but no damage to their house at all (they were in Atkinsons Brewery shelter at the time. Eric

Hi All,

You are right, of course, Eric. During the war both the Luftwaffe and the Allies used area bombing tactics. That is they attacked heavily industrialised areas without a specific target in mind. The equipment the had would not allow the precision attacks that we hear of today.

As a matter of interest mkvillan my wife lived in Brookvale Park Road and may have known your parents. what were their names? My wife was Winifred White.

Chris Beresford.

You have to wonder why, when bombers used to drop their payload in `sticks` (i think) why there was sometimes a solitary house in a street that got hit, as was the case where i lived, Doidge road in Erdington. Surely they didn`t drop just one bomb. Maybe one got stuck after the main load was dropped & the bomb aimer had to kick it out!!

My mom and her parents were bombed out of their home in Brookvale Park Road during the war.It was said that the house was on the approach run towards Kynoch munitions works .I have not seen any other reports of the attack.Dr

This is a description of just one of the attacks on Kynoch. The management had been instructed to keep the factories working twenty-four hours a day, and to ignore air raid warnings unless the site - a prime target for the Luftwaffe - was directly threatened. Only then could the thousands of workers be sent to their shelters.

To ascertain whether the works was in immediate danger was a matter of skill and judgement. This task was entrusted to Michael Clapham (later Sir Michael, and a Chairman of the Company), then in charge of the Kynoch Press, who operated from a tower at the top of the Research Department. He describes the first raid when the threat was direct:

I catch the throb of an isolated plane well east of the main attack. Ten seconds later I'm reporting to control that it is pretty near our line. Another twenty seconds and I've got the line exactly. 'Tower to Control. This one's right on line. I'm putting them down.' I press the button as I speak, and hear the klaxon blaring in the nearby factories as people drop their work and troop to the shelters. 'Control. The line of approach is east of the strip mill, about Holdford Road gate. And it's pretty near direct for here.' This is the gut-twisting moment of an attack: have I given them time enough? If I don't hear a bomb whistling down in the fifty-five seconds after I have pressed the button, everybody will have had a full minute to get to shelter before the explosion; and a minute is enough - on rehearsals. It was an immense relief when Longmore (in charge of the control centre) called up: 'Tower. Sixty seconds gone.' Ten seconds later I heard the familiar whine. 'Control. Bombs away.' But now there was a novel worry: for the first time in all our raids, the bombing line passed straight through me. One bomb exploded just outside our Holdford Road gate, then another. Then a menacing silence as the third was due...

Between 1940 and 1943, Kynoch Works received forty-seven high explosive bombs and over four thousand incendiaries. Yet only two people were killed (in both cases because they did not follow the correct procedures) and the disruption to manufacturing was kept to a minimum.

(Source: a Kynoch history)

Chris

My grandparents were Ted and Florence Cookes who lived at 141 I think.

Hi,

My wife remembers your geandparents. They had a daughter Mary who married David Woodhead who lived in George Road. Are these your parents?

Chris Bersford (Old Boy)

I often look at photos of houses which were bombed during WW2 and wonder if the people living in them today know ...

Pic 1 ... Some nice houses in Wheelers Lane Kings Heath. (the blue star is over No 100)
Pic1WheelersLanenow2.jpg

Pic 2 ... November 1940.
On the night of the 22nd, air raid sirens sounded at 6.41pm and by 7.20pm bombs were dropping indiscriminately across the city. Wheelers Lane in Kings Heath was unlucky and took direct hits damaging houses as shown and tragically some people were killed and others injured. Most people were probably in their garden shelters.
Pic2WheelersLane1940.jpg
shoothill

Pic 3 ... A 1950 aerial View of Wheelers Lane, 9 years after the bombing and all damage repaired.
Pic3WheelersLane1950.jpg
Information about the deaths and injuries in Wheelers Lane during that night can be seen on the website
https://database.birminghamairraids.co.uk/

Last edited:
My husbands home was hit by an incendary bomb, it went straight through the bathroom on the corner of the upstairs, a bit of luck really or the house would have been on fire. It was in Amberley Grove in Witton. The people who own the house now will have no idea. What was part of our lives is now a bit of history to young people of today.

Back