• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Blitz time heals

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
I would like to share an experience that I had yesterday whilst riding my bike on the trails in Parker, Co USA. I stopped at a rest area and a older man was there. We talked about his bike and then he said to me "Are you from England?" Even after these some 50+years my accent is still there. I said yes and then he said "How old are you?" Well, I do look like a old gezzer I guess! I said 78, 79 0n 7 June this year!. Then he told me that he was from Germany and that he was 75yrs old. We talked about this and that and he he said he came over to the USA in 1948 on a DC4 plane wth his family, settled in Chicago Ill, where there was a very large German population. Then he said" you know we lived in Berlin during the war when I was about 4yrs." The apartment building they lived in was bombed with a bomb going down the elevator shaft. Then we talked about the war. I remarked that pity our Grandfathers could not get along etc. I told him about my life in Yardley Brum and the near bombings. I was a little older than he, but we sure had a lot in commmon. Have to admit it was for me quite an experience talking to this chap. Two old gezzers, complete strangers in another country but with a bond that we will share the rest of our lives. The hell that we both went through over 70 yrs ago still fresh in our minds, somethings that we will NEVER forget. God please do NOT let our kids and grandkids EVER have to go through this. Lets hope and pray for peace in this world. What a waste of life that all was. John Crump Parker, Co USA PS. We are leaving to go riding our bikes down the trail. SHOOK HANDS! AND WISHED EACH OTHER WELL. A VERY FIRM HANDSHAKE I MUST ADD.

Oldbrit, l can relate to your story being in the USA some 54yrs and still have my brummy accent so l'm always being asked where am l from...some years ago when l was schooling for my US citizenship (yes l know my brother called me a traiter) we had two germans in the class around my age, the teacher one day wanted to know about our war experiences and it was interesting to hear from both sides,as we were recollecting the war, the class was really interested and we had lots of questions etc, our stories were similer air-raides bombing rationing etc.....thank goodness we were young enough at the time not to really comprehend the horror of it all...our parents were the ones that did all the worrying bless em, and like good brits they just got on the with it.....Brenda

What great stories from old Brit and Brenda, yes I agree we should never let this happen again. It's strange when I started doing my family history I found my 4x great grandfather was German, he came to Birmingham in 1817. The only inkling we had was a tale of a "French" great grandfather this may have been because in the 40's and later the family didn't want a German association. At least I have put the record straight now.

My GT Grand parents on my Mothers side were both German from Koblenz coming here end of 19th century. I remember my Mum saying do not mention the fact at school (this was 1940) as some may not take kindly to the news, as I was only 10yo I didn't fully understand why but followed my Mums request and kept quiet. Eric

Reading the posts and the other "The Blitz," makes me wonder if we have learnt anything from the wars and what we all went through. Never forget, I have seen that in many places. This is very hard to do. BUT never FORGIVE where do we draw the line? SHOULD I have walked away when I found that he was German and his parents where involved in the war, (He did tell me that his Dad was NOT in the military) BUT what is he WAS IF he his Dad, had flown the planes that bombed Brum pulled the triger on the bomb realease? OR Vice versa, had MY DAD done just that? I have to admit that offering to shake his hand took courage that I had NOT realised I had. I do now know that when I meet my maker I will have done the right thing. FORGIVNESS on bothsides. END OF STORY!

Back