• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: Birmingham scrap book volume 2 by Alton Douglas

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
Today I picked up a book called the Birmingham scrap book volume 2. And it is written by Alton Douglas
It as to be one in a million named packed with alsorts of photos and s books and full of history and including some school pics and advertisements from the theaters and shops and trade from the small times shop to our god old shops like greys it so pact with things it to many pictures and subjects to mention

It starts from the thirty to the fiftys and it is totally named with all of our tested years of the city we once walked around from one end to another
And of our back alleys we once new it ad 100 pagesthisad to be a must of a book it cost me four quid four pounds from a shop in Bromsgrove
Best wishes astonian. Alan,,,

Hi guys
Today yet again I found another gem in my favorite book shop in Bromsgrove ,
It is called past and present Birmingham, the changing face of the city and its people
Packed with pages of photographs and the changed description of what it was before,the pictures of the yesteryears
By. Patrick Baird, and peter drake,
It covers virtulay most of brum and the one time country side of old brum before it changed and a lot of the old pubs and farms and the old roads of brum
Even myself I could not believe it
But I have to say there is a picture of old Aston cross and the big clock as I knew it in the early forty and also what I was chuffed about
Was the old shops they knocked down to build ansells. Flush front offices and the Lichfield red where they knocked down the other
Shops along lichfieldrd to extend there bottling plant and they mentionioned the big car dealers plant that it was demolished for
I used to go and look in these old shops and spend my half pennies in those shops and of course the old court yards and houses
There is a book. Out there some where which I am desperately trying to find with the courts on Lichfield road that was printed in a book
That I had some years ago and got lost in transit of moving up country
And because it has Mandy grand father in it which I have promised her I will track it down for her Ashe lived up the next terrace to us
The other side of the widows arms he was a great character to see her chasing him the opening
This book was sold for 14 pounds and 99 pence in whsmiths this shop it cost me one pound 99 pence and it is. Into condition
I highly recommend it if you ain't got it for your collection best wishes astonian

Back