• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

I have just spent a fascinating hour looking through all the comments and photo's, thanks to all who contributed. Paul

More relics from the Somme and all taken from the fields where the Birmingham Pals fought

View attachment 101448View attachment 101450View attachment 101447View attachment 101449

1st is a stock pile of artillery shells in a farm. The second is a British Stokes Mortar rounds, the third was taken in the same farm as the first and the fourth shows a German clip of five live rounds.

Steve R
Zoomed in on photo #3 is it my imagination or can anyone else see the man crouched down on the right of the photo.

And many of those gilt tobacco tins are still around. Interesting that many soldiers sent them home. I expect that's why so many survived, some even with a few of the original contents.

I like the comment: "for here the British soldiers and their adversaries mutually respect each other"

Viv.

I had 2 uncles who served in WW1, and my aunts husband whose war medals I found when dealing with a family home after a death, he was in a Northumberland regiment.
After reading this thread I took the box out and had another look at everything. I have found a number that is very faint on the silver war medal, it is different to all the other medal numbers. I might at last have a lead to one of my uncles service in that awful war. Among them is theWarwickshire Pals cap badge!!

morning di how lucky you are to have found those medals...have you checked ancestry to see if either of your uncles war records survived

lyn

Di
That is a great find. I do have information on the Pals Battalions, if you pass the numbers off the medals I will see if I have any additional information.

Steve R

Steve,

The Moseleians Association, of which I am a member, included the following message in the current issue of the Gazette.

"The Association has now commissioned a brown plaque in memory of the Third Birmingham Pals, which we hope will be ready to unveil at school near to or at the Remembrance Day event on 11th November 2017".

I cannot be there myself as I am resident in Crete. Check your message box.

Maurice

Yes Lyn, I have checked all sources for info on my two uncles, no luck so far.

Thank you Steve, you won't believe it but I can't find the medal. Last seen in my pen pot on my desk!! It can't have gone far can it.

Ok Steve, I found it. Couldn't see for looking.

Two Uncles William Henry Horton, born 1892, George Horton, born 1898, both joined the war from Hamstead. George has two wound stripes on his uniform.

The number on the badge is 275212. It is the silver Service Medal. For King and Empire Services Rendered.

The photo is of George, and seems to indicate he was perhaps a Gunner?George RHA 0002.jpg

Di
The plot thickens. That badge is down to Mattew Robert Lowes Wanless of the Linclonshire Regiment, any connection. Hewent overseas on the 14 September 1915. I can't see any connection with the Birmingham Pals unless there was another family member. Like you say with the leather bandolier normally a gunner or mounted. Do you have a picture of the cap badge? or any other medals?

Steve R

Hi Steve, absolutely no connection. The other medals I have are an uncle by marriage, he was in the Norfolks, and the Pals badge. The only other photo I have is again Uncle George, wearing his cap but it is blurred. I'll attach it just in case. George Gunner 0001.jpg

Attachments

• Uncle George 2001.jpg
    Uncle George 2001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 12
hi di bit of mystery you have there....could you also post a photo of the badge belonging to matthew wanless

lyn

Service Medal.jpg Service Medal.jpg Here it is Lyn, the standard Service Medal. I guess it was given to all who served.
I have no idea why my family had it.
Service Medal.jpg

Last edited:
Back