• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

A selection of Birmingham Pals, all appear to be from the 2nd Birmingham Pals

Scan2.jpg Scan4.jpg Scan6.jpgScan5.jpg

I think many pictures were taken by Birmingham Studios. The first picture has 'Aston Photographers and Picture framers Royal Town Studio Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield as does the second. The fourth has Walter Wooten 39 High Street Quarry Bank. Making the names out on the front however is a little more difficult.

Steve R

Steve R

Excellent pictures Steve.

I have just returned from the Somme and you have been busy while I've been away!

Thank you for mentioning my book "Birmingham Pals". I have been informed it can be found in "The Works" for about 12 pounds, which is a lot cheaper than I get them from the publisher.

Regards

Terry Carter

If there are any queries regarding the Birmingham Pals no doubt myself and Steve would find the answer

A selection of Birmingham Pals, all appear to be from the 2nd Birmingham Pals

View attachment 100962 View attachment 100963 View attachment 100965View attachment 100964

I think many pictures were taken by Birmingham Studios. The first picture has 'Aston Photographers and Picture framers Royal Town Studio Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield as does the second. The fourth has Walter Wooten 39 High Street Quarry Bank. Making the names out on the front however is a little more difficult.

Steve R

Steve R

The soldier in the fourth picture, ("S.Tate" ?), was he in a Pals Bn ? His cap badge would suggest that he wasn't.

Within a couple of weeks of being raised the Birmingham Pals started to lose men due to them being commissioned the 1st Birmingham Battalion had over 400 men commissioned thus their replacements even though they wore the Blue uniform sometimes were issued with the standard Royal Warwickshire Regiment cap badge.

What gives it away Terry, have I missed something or do you recognise the postcard perhaps?

I have more postcards to put on the weekend then off to the Somme the following one.

Steve R

More picture of our proud Brum lads

Scan45.jpg Scan46.jpg Scan47.jpg

The men in the first and second picture are unknown however the soldier has put his name on the third one as A R Keighley, records show he was 864 Arthur R Keighley XIII Platoon D Company 2nd Birmingham Pals. He survived the war

Steve R

Very nice picture of five officers from D Company 2nd Birmingham Pals

Scan48.jpg

Officer left to right
Captain F H Timings XIII D Company
2nd Lieut Broughton in the coat
2nd Lieut Slade in the centre second in command.
2nd Lieut Tatlow
2nd Lieut R I Gough

This is how they are listed on the rear of the postcard but some achieved promotion. There appear to be having a little lunch and very relaxed. Two of them have their hip flask so obviously liked a tipple with their sandwiches.

Steve R

A couple of picture concerning physical fitness a key part of the training to make these men fit fighting soldiers.

Scan49.jpg

An interesting postcard of the 17th reserve battalion formed from the men remaining from the volunteers. Look closely and there are several things of note. Clearly 'fencing' was practiced as there are two Lee Enfield Rifles with bayonets on and face masks, something I have not seen before. Also, sadly several of the men have numbers. The rear of the cards say:

No 1 Sgt Luckman
No 2 Sgt C Smith
No 3 Sgt Walters (Killed) Terry's book shows a Sgt W Walters 1540 killed on the 3rd September 1916 and does not have a known Grave
No 4 Sgt Philpot
No 5 Sgt Hiley
No 6 isn't name

Steve R

This next postcard has a nice date for use of February 1915. No 5 class under CSM North

Scan50.jpg

Hopefully the picture will show that several of the men are named. Similar the previous picture I posted but this one states it is the 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire regiment meaning the 1st Birmingham Pals.

Steve R

Interesting picture of the reserve 17th Battalion. Looking at this picture it has some similarities of pictures taken of the 14th Battalion (1st B'ham Pals) that were taken in Sutton Park.

Scan51.jpg

This postcard is interesting for a couple of reasons. There are four soldiers at the very front and four name on the rear of the card.
Lt Col Bowhill (Commanding officer) Major Hocks (I think) 2nd in charge, Capt Riley officer commanding B Company and 2lt Ayre as Adjutant.

Also looking in the back ground I think that may be the Crystal Palace once the head quarters of the 1st B'ham Pals who had moved on when this picture would have been taken. Perhaps Terry could confirm or put me right. I believe the Crystal palace was burnt down some years later.

I think the 17 Reserve can often be over looked as they didn't go out to France with the original Pals as such but were used to replace soldiers lost by the other three battalions, but make no mistake many of the reserve soldiers were killed in future battles, being replacements didn't keep them much safer for long

Steve R

Hello Steve

Due to men being commissioned from the three battalions during their training period, each battalion raised a reserve "E" Company. When the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Birmingham Pals left Birmingham in June 1915 to continue their training in Yorkshire each reserve company remained and amalgamated to become the 17th Reserve Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Terry

Excellent thread Steve, lots of interesting information and photos. Found these three photo cards on eBay - they're advertised as Birmingham PALS. Someone may be able to decipher names. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 42
Members of the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwickshire) being inspected at Codford St Mary on Salisbury Plain. The picture was taken few days before they went onto active service in France on 21 November 1915.

Terry

Attachments

• 0000000.jpg
    0000000.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
Terry

Great picture that. It would be nice to post as many Pals picture as members have as don't have that many left to post without posting similar ones to those posted already. But I haven't run out yet! I have a few to post before I leave for the Somme next week.

Scan54.jpg

Almost certainly the 1st or 2nd Pals pictured outside one of there huts from what I can tell. Unfortunately no name on the back of this one

Steve R

Fun in the huts

Unusual card this one.

Scan52.jpg

Its apparent that the men have been doing a show of some sort and one of them is dressed as Charlie Chaplain. Several other of the men have dressed up as characters.

Steve R

Back