• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

Scan23.jpgScan25.jpgScan24.jpg

Three more pictures of the 3rd City Battalions. The 1st and 3rd definitely are and I believe the middle one is a group of officers outside what I believe to be a window at the college?

If anybody out there has a contact at the College I would like to take some comparison picture.

Steve R

Birmingham Pals Post cards showing the soldiers settling down to living in the huts during 1915.

View attachment 100762View attachment 100763View attachment 100764

The middle post card shows a good view of the inside of the huts whilst the last picture shows the troops were responsible for maintaining the condition of the huts. Perhaps a BHF member recognises a name as most of these soldiers were fairly local.

Steve R

These photos are great ! I particularly like the group shot of the senior NCOs. What catches my eye though are the notices above the hut doors, I wonder what the story is behind "Gurkha's Retreat" ?

More pictures of the huts as Maypolebaz is interested in the names they used.

Scan26.jpg Scan27.jpg

The first picture show a hut that has Stan-zee Villa above the door, does that name mean anything to anybody? Interestingly the rear of the postcard states that the man Holland in the centre was killed in action in March 1918.

The second picture has the hut name 'THE NARK INN' above the door.

Both pictures relate to the huts that were built in Sutton Park for the 1st and 2nd Birmingham battalions.

Steve R

Two post cards of the 1st or 2nd Birmingham Pals.

Above the door is the name 'KARRY ON' each hut had its own name. Interestingly the second picture potentially shows the same group of men later in the year under canvas (In tents) after the Pals moved out of the Birmingham Area and into camps to continue with their training. Looking closely, the same hut name appears in the second picture, perhaps these platoons of men used these names throughout their training.

Scan28.jpg Scan29.jpg

Steve R

Very interesting picture of bugler George Bayley.

Scan30.jpg
Private 850 George Bayley was a member of XV Platoon of D Company the 2nd Birmingham Pals. He went to France on the 21st November 1915 and survived the war. The rear of the Post card is written to his aunt living in Northfield Road Kings Norton

Steve R

Again I have made a reply to a subject and AGAIN I have been told I am not logged in.
Of course I'm logged in, is there a computer more stupid than usual working here ?

3rd Birmingham Pals (16th Royal Warwickshire Battalion)

16Pals.jpg

Probable one of the last picture of the 3 City Battalion previously identified on the BHF as being the high Street Alcester before they moved to Malvern for further training in April 1915. The men now looking very smart and disciplined.

Steve R

Training can be a demanding and dangerous thing. These two pictures were taken at the 1st Southern Hospital (Birmingham University) whilst the Pals were still in training.

Scan36.jpg Scan37.jpg

A soldier in each is wearing a Pals cap badge on their caps. If they are from the 16th Battalion it must have been taken before the move to Malvern. If they are from the 1st or 2nd (14th & 15th Royal Warwickshire Battalions) then they must have been taken before June 1915 as the 1st and 2nd City Battalions moved to Bolton Hall in Wensleydale up North.

Steve R

The focus of the next two post will be the 3rd Birmingham Pals (16th Royal Warwickshire Battalion)

Scan31.jpg Scan32.jpg Scan33.jpg

First two pictures of the 'other ranks' under canvas at Malvern. The third is a group of officers from the 3rd City Battalion also at Malvern.

The Pals have started their journey to by November they will be in the front line on the Somme.

Steve R

3rd Birmingham Pals (16th Royal Warwickshire Battalion)

View attachment 100871

Probable one of the last picture of the 3 City Battalion previously identified on the BHF as being the high Street Alcester before they moved to Malvern for further training in April 1915. The men now looking very smart and disciplined.

Steve R

I see the Sergeant has managed to be the only one with a sling for his P14, "privilege of rank" they used to call that !

i wonder what that strap across his chest was for ?

Maypolebaz

Yeh, saw the strap. No idea what that is doesn't seem to be any of the usual 14 pattern equipment and the postcard isn't giving it away I have had another look.
If you are interested in the Birmingham Pals read Terry Carters book if you haven't already both versions are equally as good.

More pictures to follow tomorrow.
Steve R

Maypolebaz

Yeh, saw the strap. No idea what that is doesn't seem to be any of the usual 14 pattern equipment and the postcard isn't giving it away I have had another look.
If you are interested in the Birmingham Pals read Terry Carters book if you haven't already both versions are equally as good.

More pictures to follow tomorrow.
Steve R

Cheers Steve

I look forward to seeing the next batch of pictures.

Yes, I've read Terry Carter's excellent book, got it on my kindle in fact.

Two more postcards of the Pals under canvas

View attachment 100898 View attachment 100899

I am not sure where the first picture was taken or which Battalion. The second picture has Wensley written on the back which dates it to June - July 1915. It may be the end of July as the troops prepare to leave for a Musketry Course at Hornsea, I say that as they appear to have packed ready to leave.

Steve R

This next series of picture relate to Private 991 Jim Randle D Company 3rd Birmingham Pals

Scan40.jpg Scan41.jpg

Jim was born on the 2nd February 1893. He was in a relationship with Ethel Hill who lived at 9 Clissold Street, Hockley. Both during training and when he went to France he sent many letters and cards which have survived although some like this are very delicate. This letter is from the time the 3rd Pals were at 'Wensley'

Steve R

Last edited:
Reading the letters from Jim he was the Barber of the 3rd Pals as letter state that men are waiting to have their hair cut.

Scan42.jpg Scan43.jpgScan44.jpg

Letter dated 17th October from Codford Camp. It is clear that although the Soldiers wish to know where they will serve when they get posted they still do not know where they will be posted. Some thought they would be posted in England on home service, the letter mentioned serving in In India. The other two picture are also with his letters and I will post more letters from Jim as his and the 1st and 2nd Battalions will move from Codford and over to France on the 21st November.

Steve R

Yes mate, it was kindle.

I've always been a bookworm so I find it handy to be able to load up my kindle when I go away instead of shoving a load of paperbacks in my suitcase !

Maypoebaz, couldnt agree more. When i pop back to UK I never take a book, I find Kindle meets all my needs, emails, internet, reading material, music. So much more convenient. I find reading material from lots of sources, Book Bub etc.

Back