• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

Viv,

Yes, it is. Go to the Moseleians site here https://www.moseleians.co.uk/galleries/ and click on Birmingham Pals, and you will find that one and many more like it. Unfortunately, the school photo that I referred to in my previous post, doesn't show a lot of the building and would not be appropriate on this thread.

Maurice

Viv, what was 'shirt parade', do you know?
Lady P
I think you'll find it was as it said, a parade to be issued with new shirts. (The Army DO love their parades !).
The men look like they're still wearing their Birmingham Battalions uniform, at the time when they were tranferring to Service Dress.

Always crosses my mind too Lady P looking at all of these photos. In the photos they look so fresh and proud. Viv.

I posted this photo on a another thread but is relevant here. It is on the wall of Moseley School building.

Attachments

• army plaque.jpg
    army plaque.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 24
1 Bham Sutton Park Station Platform 26 June 1915 a.jpg
1 Bham Sutton Park Station Platform 26 June 1915 a.jpg

Sorry I've not posted for quite a long time
This is a cropped photograph that I have of some members of the 1st Birmingham Battalion (14th Royal Warwickshire) on the platform of Sutton Park Station with family and friends prior to the battalion's departure to continue their training at Wensleydale in Yorkshire. 25 June 1915

Last edited:
Brilliant photo Terry, I am still hoping that there may be a photo of my grandfather somewhere out there !st/5th Royal Warwicks. Joined 1913, demobbed 1919.

I've only just noticed this photo, (May 6th). I love how natural everyone looks, so much better than the stiffly - posed ones that were the norm in those days.
I'm surprised Angela Merkel managed to get in on the act though !

I discovered last year that my Great Uncle Charles Crisp signed up to the Birmingham Pals 14th Bn. in 1914. He lived on Norman St, Winston Green. He died aged 21 at the Battle of Guillemont on 3 Sep 1916, and I have discovered he has a headstone at Theipval Memorial. The War Diary page detailing the day of his and many others’ deaths is extremely moving. This site is fascinating. I have no photographs of him and am keenly looking to see if I can find a face similar to his brother, my dear Grandpa. Whether I will ever identify him in a photograph or not, the insight here from comments and photographs is extremely helpful for me in building a small picture into how Great Uncle and his comrades lived their lives during their preparations for war. Thank you all for your efforts and posts on the Birmingham Pals, for me having this information available is invaluable.

HI Terry,
I have just discovered this button, and it has been suggested to me that it might be a "sutton coldfield auxiliary" uniform button, linked to the Birmingham Pals. I'm not quite sure what is meant by this, but I thought I'd show you the button just in case the lead is a good one. Would be great to hear from you,
Zoe

Excellent pictures Steve.

I have just returned from the Somme and you have been busy while I've been away!

Thank you for mentioning my book "Birmingham Pals". I have been informed it can be found in "The Works" for about 12 pounds, which is a lot cheaper than I get them from the publisher.

Regards

Terry Carter

If there are any queries regarding the Birmingham Pals no doubt myself and Steve would find the answer

Attachments

• 119479903_3274696595930812_6910560922151773469_n.jpg
    119479903_3274696595930812_6910560922151773469_n.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 23
I discovered last year that my Great Uncle Charles Crisp signed up to the Birmingham Pals 14th Bn. in 1914. He lived on Norman St, Winston Green. He died aged 21 at the Battle of Guillemont on 3 Sep 1916, and I have discovered he has a headstone at Theipval Memorial. The War Diary page detailing the day of his and many others’ deaths is extremely moving. This site is fascinating. I have no photographs of him and am keenly looking to see if I can find a face similar to his brother, my dear Grandpa. Whether I will ever identify him in a photograph or not, the insight here from comments and photographs is extremely helpful for me in building a small picture into how Great Uncle and his comrades lived their lives during their preparations for war. Thank you all for your efforts and posts on the Birmingham Pals, for me having this information available is invaluable.
What number in Norman St did your Great Uncle live ? My grandparents were of that era and lived in Norman St.

In the Birmingham Pals history of the 14th battalion there is a C Crisp who is on the Manifolda Limited roll of honour in West Bromwich. Could this be your relative?

I am trying to find information regarding members of my family who where sadly killed in action in the |First World War 1. The first person Ernest Robert Freeman B) Birmingham 1890 D) France and Flanders 23 October 1918 also Charles Bertie Freeman B) Birmingham 1893 D) 9 July 1916 France and Flanders they were both Royal Warwickshire Regiment soldiers. If anyone has any photos, letters or war diaries or any details at all regarding these two remarkable people it would be much appreciated.

Ernest was a CSM and awarded the DCM for I suppose gallantry. He was in the 10th and 11th Royal warwicks. There is quite a lot on Ancestry about him, well worth looking

Ernest was a CSM and awarded the DCM for I suppose gallantry. He was in the 10th and 11th Royal warwicks. There is quite a lot on Ancestry about him, well worth looking
Hi there
Thank you for reply. I am on Ancestry doing my family tree, which is where myself and another have been doing research. We have gathered all information from Ancestry hence the reason for branching out, in the hope of finding more. There is things which have been donated to the Royal Warwickshire Museum.
Will keep fingers crossed.

Take care

Back