• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Pals in the Great War

Can anyone provide any details about this photograph?

29262021_10213639600761977_8772751889293901824_n.jpg

Yes Lyn, that's the very thought I had, it's definitely the town hall.

Clearly a band of the Warwicks in the foreground. Further back there a lot of men with what looks like the cap badge of the Engineers and they must be in a Mounted role, judging by their bandoliers . I can't be sure if the rifles that can be seen are SMLEs, the bayonets seem a trifle short, which leaves me wondering if this is a photo of a parade of a Territorial Brigade in the early days in the early days of WW1.

Post Card Picture of the Birmingham Pals circa late 1914 or early 1915. Most wearing their Mufti badges and looking very smart.

View attachment 100683

Note that the soldiers are all sporting a side cap. This picture may have been taken to celebrate this as I understand It was one the first Items to be issued. Again this would have been taken in Sutton Park. Soon the men were to move out of their lodgings and into purpose built wooden huts, those picture will follow.

Steve R
Post Card Picture of the Birmingham Pals circa late 1914 or early 1915. Most wearing their Mufti badges and looking very smart.

View attachment 100683

Note that the soldiers are all sporting a side cap. This picture may have been taken to celebrate this as I understand It was one the first Items to be issued. Again this would have been taken in Sutton Park. Soon the men were to move out of their lodgings and into purpose built wooden huts, those picture will follow.

Steve R
Hi Steve , just wondering if the lad down the bottom in Fitt ??????

mike what a wonderful thing to do...well done to portsmouth council..so at a cost of £9000 every single soldier who lived in portsmouth and died for this country will have on boards their names dotted around the streets where they lived...i make that £1.50 per life given...not much to say thank you is it...

as far as i know there will be nothing going on at the hall of memory unless someone knows different and for obvious reasons centenary square so colmore row is the place to be

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20158/lord_mayor/307/remembrance_sunday

lyn

Last edited:
viv if you come across any photos of the royal field artillary i would love to see them

thanks

lyn

[QUOTE="Astoness, post: 628088,

as far as i know there will be nothing going on at the hall of memory unless someone knows different and for obvious reasons centenary square so colmore row is the place to be

lyn[/QUOTE]

This site seems to suggest the Mayor will be at the Hall of Memory at 10am to unveil a special memorial stone. Unless I have totally misunderstood.
http://hallofmemory.co.uk/events.php

I've posted this picture on another thread somewhere but thought I'd include it again. It's taken in Sutton Park and I was told it was the cookhouse for soldiers in WW1. The cook, third from left, is my Gt Uncle William Henry Woolley. He'd been a cook in the Merchant Navy and at the Savoy Hotel.

Attachments

• 10. WHW (b.1854) WW!.jpg
    10. WHW (b.1854) WW!.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 21
Afraid not Lady P. I did wonder if it was meant to be mildly humorous but not sure.

Also does anyone recognise the building in the background ? Viv.

Viv,

It looks very much like what became Moseley Grammar School and is now Moseley School. I will check with one of my school photos & get back to you.

Maurice

Back